Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm looking to get at least a rear stand soon because I believe I need to clean/lube my chain soon. However, due to my recent speeding ticket (ugh), I don't want to spend a ton of money. Is anyone aware of a cheap rear stand that will work with our bikes?
It doesn’t take an expensive stand to service/oil the chain. Simply lean the bike over onto the side stand and prop it up with whatever is handy.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
The simple propped up stand definitely works. If you are intent on a paddock stand, Venom can be had for cheap on amazon and works great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought a rear pit bull off Craigslist, $40.

I also have a couple cheap harbor Freight rear stands as well(bought one for like $20 on sale with coupon, 2 others someone gave me), the wheels they come with are trash. They flat spot with weight on them for any period of time. This means you cannot move the bike any with it on the stand.(yes if you are careful you can do this on a smooth floor) So I took some roller blade wheels and replaced them with those, work great now.

I bought a Venom front triple tree stand because I could not find a good Pit Bull used for cheap.
The one I got seems made well enough, I have had my SV on it for weeks at a time.

It also fits the 400, I had to use pin 21, looks like a 22 would fit but I did not find one of those myself.
With the Venom's are you able to remove the tires easy enough? I have seen people complain about them

·
Registered
39 Posts
it came with the smaller set 13 to 18 mm which are too small so I just ordered the 20-27 mm hopefully that works

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Welp, if yer go'in from 13 to 27 mm, you should have it covered. (I'm guess'in it's 20 mm.)
Actually, that stand's purdie cool; besides the steering stem, it'll lift at the bottom of the forks, 'n the rear swing arm. (y)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I hope not as venom does not offer a 22. On the pin from pit bull in the picture the top has a 27 on it. If it is 22, where do people get that for the venom stands

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
You can just use the next size smaller; looks like yer pin kit #2 has 21 mm pin. Ya might wanta go to yer local hardware store, 'n get some washers w/ 22mm bore to put on your 21mm pin to give better support at bottom of triple clamp.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Here's my cobby @$$ stand a friend threw together for me years ago; sometime in the '90s for my FJ1200. Used it on that bike, my FZ1, FZ6, and it looks like it'll work on the Z4 too. (Butt I need a spotter to test it.) It looks to be about 20mm, and should work.
I have to hold the "T" part w/ one hand, 'n work the stand w/ the other. (Why I need a spotter!) It's crude 'n ugly, butt has served me well over the years.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You can just use the next size smaller; looks like yer pin kit #2 has 21 mm pin. Ya might wanta go to yer local hardware store, 'n get some washers w/ 22mm bore to put on your 21mm pin to give better support at bottom of triple clamp.
21mm will be fine, a bit of clearance will make it easy to get in.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Black widow chock stand: I wanted a stand that yes, works for the front tire, but in my scenario, also works for the rear. My situation, I pull into the garage, use my neighbors spot to “spin” the bike on the side stand, and then back it into my spot. This way I dont mentally encroach on my neighbors space, and it is easy for me to drive out.

There are clearly better stands for more money that “lock” the front wheel down super solid. Since the rear tire is a 150, I also wanted to benefit with the rear roll in. Most specs stop at 130 or 140 mm width acceptance for a roll in wheel stand. Unless you go for the custom, more expensive, expandable options.

In comes theBlack Widow. Spec says 150mm compatible. Price is cheap, looks bomber enough, and is free standing so I can use it anywhere in the garage to work on it, until my Pitbull shows up...

So, below, as delivereed in the box, a five minute setup, and ready to go! Really does work great for front or rear. Niggling with the bolt positions gets a great fit. The bike does wiggle just a little, with pressure applied. Absolutely no worries of it tipping over. Will be bolting to the floor for added lockable security!

As delivered, on a sunday!

Five minutes later. They even supply a small wrench for the bolts.

With the rear rolled in. Solid. Front or rear works great. Highly recommend for a good budget option with great results. Just put those Techspec tank grips on today as well...

·
Registered
100 Posts
anyone have a website that has either pitbul or woodcraft rear spool stand in stock? I've checked revzilla, amazon and cycle gear so far. All out of stock.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts