Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post any good stands you've owned or just bought that you recommend here.

One piece of advice I would like to pass on to new riders who plan on working on their bikes is to invest in a front stand that lifts from underneath the steering head, NOT the front forks/axle etc.
The reason for this is that it allows you to work on your forks or even remove them completely or just get accurate measurements for working out your suspension sag etc.

·
Registered
460 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm looking to get at least a rear stand soon because I believe I need to clean/lube my chain soon. However, due to my recent speeding ticket (ugh), I don't want to spend a ton of money. Is anyone aware of a cheap rear stand that will work with our bikes?

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you wanna go cheap, I’ve seen them online at Harbor Freight. Think I saw one for 30-40$. Don’t know how well it will work but it does seem to be adjustable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought some venom motorsports stand off amazon and it wasn't even welded right. The pad parts (not for spools) are pretty bad quality and then the left side was not even welded in line with the rest of that arm of the stand. It won't actually line up with the swingarm of the bike because of that, giving you a crooked "my bike is probably going to fall off this" stance. Should've just paid an extra $45 or so and bought a better one.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you wanna go cheap, I’ve seen them online at Harbor Freight. Think I saw one for 30-40$. Don’t know how well it will work but it does seem to be adjustable.
That's the one I picked up.

https://www.harborfreight.com/low-profile-rear-motorcycle-spool-stand-99701.html

Used it a few times so far. I like it since it doesn't lift the rear real high off the ground but holds the bike straight up so doing the oil change it doesn't give a bunch of extra room underneath but it also doesn't put a big angle so your oil level will be way off when filling up.

It's really light the welds aren't pretty but they all seem good and that they won't fall apart. It rolls around easily and I've not had any issues using it on my own. For the price it honestly can't be beat. Though it did scratch up my rear spools though I don't know if it's cause I got cheap spools or cause of the stand.

·
Registered
199 Posts
T-Rex Racing stands are a great in between option. Not quite up to Pit Bull standards, but not the same cost either. I have a Pit Bull front and T-Rex rare so its easy to compare...

Reactions: Flash Bantam

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can anyone DEFINITIVELY provide a list of one or two headlift stands that are confirmed to work and fit under the front nose faring of the 2018 Ninja 400?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Can anyone DEFINITIVELY provide a list of one or two headlift stands that are confirmed to work and fit under the front nose faring of the 2018 Ninja 400?
I have the Pitbull hybrid fork and headlift stand. It definitely works, but you have to buy the pin (sold separately). Pin #37. If you want the exact dimensions of the head pin let me know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Center Lift Stand

Nobody seems to want a center stand. They may be more expensive, initially, but you don't need spools (less weight). On ebay they run from $225 to $600. They need an adapter that isn't for sale yet, but they do fit the Ninja 300, so it will be available. I'm making my own out of a crank square trailer jack I bid $25 for and $15 worth of squared steel tubes I need to weld up. With the use of a strap the bike can be tilted forward or back.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I bought a rear pit bull off Craigslist, $40.

I also have a couple cheap harbor Freight rear stands as well(bought one for like $20 on sale with coupon, 2 others someone gave me), the wheels they come with are trash. They flat spot with weight on them for any period of time. This means you cannot move the bike any with it on the stand.(yes if you are careful you can do this on a smooth floor) So I took some roller blade wheels and replaced them with those, work great now.

I bought a Venom front triple tree stand because I could not find a good Pit Bull used for cheap.
The one I got seems made well enough, I have had my SV on it for weeks at a time.

It also fits the 400, I had to use pin 21, looks like a 22 would fit but I did not find one of those myself.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have the Pitbull hybrid fork and headlift stand. It definitely works, but you have to buy the pin (sold separately). Pin #37. If you want the exact dimensions of the head pin let me know.
Do you have a digital caliper? If so can you measure the dia of that pit bull #37 pin. I was going to build up this one maybe, it works, but its a little loose and I am picky :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
do you have a digital caliper? If so can you measure the dia of that pit bull #37 pin. I was going to build up this one maybe, it works, but its a little loose and i am picky :)
IMG_20180929_201409.jpg IMG_20180929_200428.jpg

Reactions: b0Xcrash
1 - 20 of 62 Posts