Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Director of Moderation
2,725 Posts
Guys a few more questions...

- How to clean the pistons crowns while they're in place, assuming I do not want to pull them up and further mess with stuff more than I have to. How to prevent debris / dirt from falling off depeer into the engine? I wouldn't try it. You'll get debris in all sorts of places you don't want to. Either take the pistons out and clean them, or just leave them. The top of the piston will always have a thin layer of carbon build-up, so as long as it's not something extreme, I'd leave that alone. If it looks about like this, it's fine.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle Automotive design

- Does pulling off the cylinder head requires at any stage to pull the shims / buckets out of their place? Considering I am looking to steer off a valve adjusment at this time. No, not if you pull off the whole head as a unit. But if you remove the cams and then put them back in, you should check the valve clearance again.

- Rubber O-rings. In the manual Kawasaki have instructions for "Grease" and "Silicone Grease", While replacing the thermostat housing and later posting about that here, I learned that silicone grease is better for o-rings. However in the manual it states to use "grease". not "silicone grease". The engine have a few that requires replacing once you open it up, together with the exhaust o-rings and CCT o-ring as well. Should you use "normal" grease like kawa states in the manual, or silicone grease? Is it even safe to have grease coating on rubber o-rings that are inside the engine? Use whichever.

- Kawsaki calls for using 2 liquid gaskets throughout this entire process just for the cylinder head cover. In the manual they say to apply the first one and draw a line all over it. Then they call for the second one and say to use it only on the lips of the cover, but they already drawed over it for the first one...? I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Just apply the liquid gasket on the surfaces they mention, let it sit for a bit and then continue with installation.

- Cam sprockets bolts. Kawa says to use a non permant locking agent. What to buy? I am assuming you need one that stands heat, but what kind. I have loctite 242. Is that good enough? Yeah blue loctite is fine.

- Does rubber o-rings and engine gaskets have a shelf life? Assuming it's being stored well... Yes but I think it's pretty long, like several years or more. Depends on the material too since there are various kinds of "rubber".
See above in blue.

·
Registered
602 Posts
See above in blue.
Thanks. Regarding the liquid gasket, in the manual they say first to use A type all over the possible surface of the cover, and later they say to use B type in a spesific surface, which confuses me because they draw extacly where to use the A type and it's all over in the photo. Hope you understand

·
Director of Moderation
2,725 Posts
Thanks. Regarding the liquid gasket, in the manual they say first to use A type all over the possible surface of the cover, and later they say to use B type in a spesific surface, which confuses me because they draw extacly where to use the A type and it's all over in the photo. Hope you understand
It's just saying that first you apply the liquid gasket on the cover (metal surface), then you put the rubber gasket on the cover, and then you apply liquid gasket on the rubber cover in the area mentioned. It is a bit odd that they only say to apply it in that specific area. I think I applied it all the way around. Basically it goes metal - liquid gasket - rubber gasket - liquid gasket - metal for how it all mates together.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It's just saying that first you apply the liquid gasket on the cover (metal surface), then you put the rubber gasket on the cover, and then you apply liquid gasket on the rubber cover in the area mentioned. It is a bit odd that they only say to apply it in that specific area. I think I applied it all the way around. Basically it goes metal - liquid gasket - rubber gasket - liquid gasket - metal for how it all mates together.
Ah I see. Thanks man.

At how many miles did yours started to leak and how it's been since?

·
Director of Moderation
2,725 Posts
Ah I see. Thanks man.

At how many miles did yours started to leak and how it's been since?
I'm not sure when I started. I noticed it towards the end of last season, wasn't leaking too bad, but it was visible. It was probably around 3000 miles roughly. Changed it out over the winter (I have a thread on here with all of that and pictures I took during the tear down process, including of the faulty seal) and it's been fine so far.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Doh...why did I think for some reason I read somewhere to replace all the head bolts?!?(maybe I was thinking of all the other bikes I have pulled the head off of using the stretch bolts, that are thinner in the middle)

I bought all 6 new.......well guess I will replace all 6 and take the old ones and cut two for alignment bolts/dowels and then take the two other sets and maybe do the same with them for someone else local or close to use? lol darn it.........

And by the way, still not leaking, over 10k miles on mine, street riding and track riding. Mostly curvy backroads, but I would also say I have put about 1000-1500 miles riding interstate, mostly only to get to a curvy road and it could not have been avoided....or the 250 'ish miles I road it back, when I bought it, up i-75 and i-24

I did switch to distilled water and water wetter about 3 or 4k miles in maybe......or maybe sooner, I cannot remember now.
Which I think SBK switched to this when he first got it, so possibly not that preventing the leak.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Doh...why did I think for some reason I read somewhere to replace all the head bolts?!?(maybe I was thinking of all the other bikes I have pulled the head off of using the stretch bolts, that are thinner in the middle)

I bought all 6 new.......well guess I will replace all 6 and take the old ones and cut two for alignment bolts/dowels and then take the two other sets and maybe do the same with them for someone else local or close to use? lol darn it.........

And by the way, still not leaking, over 10k miles on mine, street riding and track riding. Mostly curvy backroads, but I would also say I have put about 1000-1500 miles riding interstate, mostly only to get to a curvy road and it could not have been avoided....or the 250 'ish miles I road it back, when I bought it, up i-75 and i-24

I did switch to distilled water and water wetter about 3 or 4k miles in maybe......or maybe sooner, I cannot remember now.
Which I think SBK switched to this when he first got it, so possibly not that preventing the leak.
Please post a guide / little tips and working methods as you go by and preform this work bro.. Could help alot of people in the future

81 - 88 of 88 Posts