Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just installed the Woodcraft clip ons on my Ninja 400 and yes you save weight and also you will get a more aggressive sport stance which I prefer. No body part /fender modification is needed and they look sexy :). The stock clip ons are too high in my opinion specially if you plan to do any track days.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was at T-Bolt last weekend and a N400 racer Erica? had her upper cut out around the clip ons. Looking at the TYGA bodywork it looks like they opened up the area in front of the clip ons to maybe allow true lower clip ons? Has any racers on this board seen N4s out there with the uppers cut out to accept lower clip ons then the WC or Vortex? I may get the dremel out. What do you see out there SBK at your races?

·
Registered
661 Posts
I was at T-Bolt last weekend and a N400 racer Erica? had her upper cut out around the clip ons. Looking at the TYGA bodywork it looks like they opened up the area in front of the clip ons to maybe allow true lower clip ons? Has any racers on this board seen N4s out there with the uppers cut out to accept lower clip ons then the WC or Vortex? I may get the dremel out. What do you see out there SBK at your races?
You hit the nail on the head, they did the cut out so the bars can be lower and wider. Even with the stock body work the after market bars are lower but not as low with track plastics. I still have the stock plastics for now with the Vortex clip ons and rearsets. I was dragging the stock rearsets and my toes in certain turns. Now the 400 has a more sport bike stance and I am no longer dragging foot pegs. I will be going with track plastics next season.

·
Registered
242 Posts
even with my track body work I still can't use LOW clip-ons. I have them. Maybe I'll try again with the drexel in my hand. She did not have TYGA. It looked obviously like track bodywork. Not OEM. I still think even with the WC specific clip ons I still sit too high as compared to my GSX-R

·
Registered
196 Posts
yes unfortunately going with anything less than 2' risers positioned under the upper trips you will have issues with clearance.....looks like only a few companies are catering to true race clip ons so modifying OEM plastic or race trim AND using a race steering lock will be necessary for the above average rider..i will be posting photos of my new Lacomoto bodywork from Spears within the next few days and I will include the problem areas with the clip ons with OE plastic and the new bodywork....i did have issues with hotbodies with clearance issues

·
Registered
242 Posts
I do have a steering lock adapter on my bike. I hate to chop into the upper and then regret it after. I have 41mm reg clip ons no risers. Interesting how most N4 race bodywork still (even AB?) has clearance issues with lower clip-ons

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
even with my track body work I still can't use LOW clip-ons. I have them. Maybe I'll try again with the drexel in my hand. She did not have TYGA. It looked obviously like track bodywork. Not OEM. I still think even with the WC specific clip ons I still sit too high as compared to my GSX-R
I had to lower the area under the clip ons on my SV racer. I found using a emery flap disc on a angle grinder was the easiest way to take a good amount of material off and keep it looking neat at the same time. ie easy to do tidy scallops rather than ending up with a wavy edge.

·
Registered
196 Posts
using a race stay my solve all issues...I have 2 of them and will see which one will work best...with the best bodywork of course

·
Registered
242 Posts
my fairing stay doesn't get in the way of low clip-ons, the fairing upper gets in the way of low clip-ons

·
Registered
196 Posts
so depending on what race bodywork you are using..if you use a race stay you can remove the OE plastic trim that holds the gauges in place..if you have stock bodywork,then moving the bars inward or shaving the plastic trim is your only alternative

my fairing stay doesn't get in the way of low clip-ons, the fairing upper gets in the way of low clip-ons

·
Registered
79 Posts
Are there any aftermarket clip ons for the N400 that allow close to stock clip on positioning but allow adjustment for track to get a proper lean angle? Im a shorter guy, around 5'6 and since this is my commuter I don't want it to be too aggressive for daily, but at the same token I will be starting to do some track events in the coming months and noticed last weekend on a mini track how annoying the stock bars are, especially when trying to keep your elbows flat instead of feeling like your pushing down on the bars.

Also is it indeed true at this point that all the aftermarket clip ons reduce turning radius substantially?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Also is it indeed true at this point that all the aftermarket clip ons reduce turning radius substantially?
They’re adjustable, so how much turning radius you want (or don’t want) to give up is up to you. The way I have my Woodcraft clip-ons adjusted, I can turn my bars lock to lock, and the brake lever on my HC1 MC will just touch the edge of my Spears windscreen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, I was wondering if these clip ons can be put under the top yoke? It has a slight riser on it but I'm not sure it's enough..

·
Super Moderator
835 Posts
There is a great thread on here from a few guys, kiwi rider, I think, that did this. Also, go look on the Woodcraft website and the Norton website as there is some great info on the riser length.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hey guys, I was wondering if these clip ons can be put under the top yoke? It has a slight riser on it but I'm not sure it's enough.. View attachment 11961
Sorry those will not fit under the top yoke. Unless you are running track plastics and you may even have to trim them some. Stock plastics you will have to put on top, so they won’t rub.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anyone commute with the woodcrafts and care to share feedback? Especially the shorter guys. From what I just read on this thread, even the woodcrafts don't seem to go super low, so would you all say the change from stock is still less than say stock bars on a ZX6R? I sat on a ZX6 the other day in a showroom and it didn't seem bad honestly. Especially commuting with a backpack that gets in the way sometimes sitting upright lol.

I am attending a track school next month and feel the stock bars are limiting me from maintaining a proper posture when cornering so I feel clip ons would definitely help here.

My forks are also raised about 3/4" in the triple clamps and I don't mind the look now, but it sounds like these will expose another inch of the tubes? Not a deal breaker, just want to know what I'm getting into.

Also, when adjusted to stock angle with the 12" bars, are these roughly the same width? My garage has a very narrow exit and just want to make sure I can continue to clear it each day. Lol

·
Registered
143 Posts
Anyone commute with the woodcrafts and care to share feedback? Especially the shorter guys. From what I just read on this thread, even the woodcrafts don't seem to go super low, so would you all say the change from stock is still less than say stock bars on a ZX6R? I sat on a ZX6 the other day in a showroom and it didn't seem bad honestly. Especially commuting with a backpack that gets in the way sometimes sitting upright lol.

I am attending a track school next month and feel the stock bars are limiting me from maintaining a proper posture when cornering so I feel clip ons would definitely help here.

My forks are also raised about 3/4" in the triple clamps and I don't mind the look now, but it sounds like these will expose another inch of the tubes? Not a deal breaker, just want to know what I'm getting into.

Also, when adjusted to stock angle with the 12" bars, are these roughly the same width? My garage has a very narrow exit and just want to make sure I can continue to clear it each day. Lol
You can adjust the width to however you want by just sliding the bar in further. I have them almost all the way out and it’s a little wider than the stock bars. They are fine to commute with and I’m only 5foot 6in. Still not as low as the OEM clipons on a stock zx6r.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts