Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you do this by releasing the triple clamps and sliding the forks through?
If you go too far with this you can run into issues with the front fender hitting other parts of the bike when/if the front forks bottom out.
On the positive side it quickens up your steering geometry so I'm not surprised you like this more sporty feel.

I slid my forks through by 1/4" and fitted clip ons that sit about 1" lower at the bar ends. I like it better too.
Well Hello!!

To answer your question - Yes; I did exactly as what you'd stated. I noticed that the N400 has a soft suspensions on both front and rear; however, I'm a lighter guy, so I can get away with more than 1/4" by comparing it to yours. As stated, I took it out to the twisty roads after the change, and I had no problem with the front fender hitting others parts. To my eyes, it even looks and ride better. Love it!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you go to 'Parts and Accessories' from the forum index there is a thread in there titled 'Clip ons - general chat'.

If you want to see mine specifically go here: https://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/125-parts-accessories/1455-vortex-clip-ons.html
Kiwi - I like the looks of those clip-ons, but how do you deal with the hallow end bars? I thought about replacing the oem clip-ons; however, I still can't seem to find metal bars (to avoid hands vibrations), and they should be made to fit the oem metal bar-ends. If anyone in here know or have seen what I am looking for, please do help to post up the information.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Kiwi - I like the looks of those clip-ons, but how do you deal with the hallow end bars? I thought about replacing the oem clip-ons; however, I still can't seem to find metal bars (to avoid hands vibrations), and they should be made to fit the oem metal bar-ends. If anyone in here know or have seen what I am looking for, please do help to post up the information.
I have only bought two brands of clip ons (Vortex and Woodcraft) and both came with plastic plugs/end caps in the box that fit the inside diameter of their bars which (being aluminium) are slightly thicker wall thickness than the OEM steel ones.

Most aftermarket clip ons are made of aluminium as they know weight is important to a lot of modders.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lower handlebar for Ninja 400

Hi anyone has replaced the stock clip on with a lower one?
I was looking at the woodcraft clip on which could lower for 30mm or so.

It cost $300NZD.
anyone got cheaper option?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've thought about this too, but I want to see someone on the bike with the stock bars and the lower ones to see the difference in riding position. If anyone has pics could you please post them?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
There are loads of cheap clip ons on the likes of Ebay, Ali express and wish.com. As long as its 41mm it will fit.

The big plus of the Woodcraft clip ons is that the clamp is split into two half shells so you can fit them around the fork stanchion easily instead of having to slide the fork down out of the top yoke to slide the clip on over the top of the fork tube.

Personally I have on my bike the Vortex clip ons which are about an inch lower than the standard clip ons as they dont have the riser like the OEM bars. I see you are a Kiwi so I will tell you that I got mine off Race Supplies in Dunedin for $200 NZD.
Have a read here for more info and lots of pictures:
https://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/125-parts-accessories/1455-vortex-clip-ons-2.html

http://www.racesupplies.co.nz/

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Really? I don't think i've sat on a bike with lower bars.
It's all relative to bikes you've owned/ridden in the past.
I rode a Triumph 675 on the wkd, now that's got low bars!
Any sports 600 etc will have much lower bars than the 300/400's. Because the manufacturers know a lot of learners buy these bikes they purposely dont make the bars too low on them.
If your coming from a cruiser background then they will feel real low.

Interestingly I see Yamaha has lowered the bars on their 2019 face-lifted R3. I think this in line with the desire to make it look more like a mini R6.
Here's what the Revzilla reviewer/tester said:
I expected the clip-ons, dropped 22 mm for a sportier position, to sap some of the fun from our time on the slab. Not so. Lower was better, placing more of my body behind the windscreen.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Clip On Bars

Now I don't know much about these sorts of mods as this is my first big bike but I was just wondering, does anyone on here have them? If so do you feel they are superior to the standard handlebars? Is there a noticeable difference in body position etc?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
The stock bars on the bike are clip on style as they are in two separate pieces that are 'clipped on'. As opposed to a one piece bar that is bolted to the top of the top yoke like an adventure bike.

Riders change the clip ons for various reasons but a change in height is most common or they want aluminium ones rather than the heavy OEM steel ones.

Have a read here: https://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/125-parts-accessories/1081-clip-ons-general-chat.html

Also search 'Woodcraft clip ons' and 'Vortex clip ons' as there are threads for both of these brands being the most common.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Clip ons

Speaking of clip ons, I just installed a set of Vortex clip ons for the 400. I took the bike around the block and I cloud feel some vibes in the clip ons. I never felt any vibes with the stock handle bars. The stockers are heavier for sure. I wasn’t expecting it but the vibes aren’t bad, just more noticeable. I will see how it feels this weekend after 2 track days at NCBIKE! Probably my last of the 2019 season.:crying:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Speaking of clip ons, I just installed a set of Vortex clip ons for the 400. I took the bike around the block and I cloud feel some vibes in the clip ons. I never felt any vibes with the stock handle bars. The stockers are heavier for sure. I wasn’t expecting it but the vibes aren’t bad, just more noticeable. I will see how it feels this weekend after 2 track days at NCBIKE! Probably my last of the 2019 season.:crying:
Very sexy! Funnily enough I got the same ones. Yes I did notice a bit more vibe initially but i definitely don't now so must have got used to it quick.
Enjoy your final hit outs.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Very sexy! Funnily enough I got the same ones. Yes I did notice a bit more vibe initially but i definitely don't now so must have got used to it quick.
Enjoy your final hit outs.
My final 2 track days were a freaking BLAST!!! The odd thing I didn’t notice any vibes from the clip ons at all with my normal track riding gloves. The gloves I used for the 1st ride were lighter. I brought the stock bars just in case, happy to report they stayed in the bottom of my bin. Now they will go in a box in the basement with all the other unused 400 stock parts! :clap:

I give the Vortex clip ons a big thumbs up!:clap:

41 - 60 of 95 Posts