Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Oh I see, when we assemble the engine we use "2 | T" mark in the crank and align the marks in the cams accordingly to the manual, that was my misunderstanding.

Maybe buy new wire clamps or get some normal small clamps for the reservoir. The wire clamps should be fine, i dont see people with a leak in that place, just assemble it normal and see if it leaks, if so, change it or MacGyver it.
Yes, when we assemble the the camshaft, we must keep it and the crank at its original position. We do not turn the crank, and we make sure it is still in the original straight line mark with no letters. That's why I took the before pics. The manual states that if you happen to stray from the original straight line position, you may turn it counterclockwise (never clockwise), so it lines up again. Manual tells you to count the cam chain pins to be sure when installing. Now, when you install the cam chain tensioner, and cam caps and button it up, you can next get a visual confirmation of the correct timing assembly. That confirmation is when you turn the crank to the "2T" mark (cylinder 2 at Top Dead Center) and the "IN" line on the intake cam lines up with the "EX" line of the exhaust cam (see pic in sec 5-20).

Reactions: Joao18

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for the detailed info! But here's hoping I never have to do this...
Wonder if this is something the warranty would cover if it craps out within the first couple of years.
IIRC, there are 2 members here that had this dealer repaired for free despite an expired warranty. Just make sure to document your issue with good pics.

With the pandemic, there's no telling what the repair time window will be. I would say at least a month. Furthermore, I've got too many mods to the bike that I didn't want anybody to mess with.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Great write up. Doing my first valve check soon and was reading up on that gasket issue. Until it starts squirting, that seems like a lot of work in preventative. Did you have coolant leak into the cylinders?
I did not notice any signs of coolant leak into the cylinders. The way it's designed, the coolant could leak into the bottom end, not the cylinder. But there's not knowing for sure until you get an oil analysis.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Nice going man. What you clean the pistons with?
Thanks for this excellent question. I ran out of brake cleaner, so I used Maxima Contact Cleaner and gently wiped the crap off with a clean shop towel. The carbon and gunk on the pistons were easier to remove than the stuff in the combustion chamber. In the combustion chamber, I used a small flat tip screw driver, a pick and brake cleaner to gently scrape the gunk off. IMPORTANT If you're gonna be cleaning and handling the pistons, please make sure the piston rings gaps are clocked correctly. The rings are easily turned and run off of their clocking position. Kawa's ring gap diagram is so crude, they don't even show degree angles. Maybe the actual angles are somewhere in the manual? Anyone know?

·
Director of Moderation
2,211 Posts
It has over 10,000 km. 99% of the time I use non ethanol premium fuel. With a richer tune, I was expecting some carbon buildup in the piston crowns and combustion chamber. Granted it's a street bike. It's seen a lot of idling and cold starts here. But you have a good point, in that it may be quite excessive in the amount of carbon buildup. I've never used any kind of fuel system cleaners like seafoam. Maybe I should try something like that?
I'm certainly not well versed in judging what's normal and abnormal for carbon build-up on pistons. I just noticed yours looked to have more than mine, and also appears to be more "wet". Definitely makes sense that it's running richer based on the pistons and valves when you opened it up. But it is also expected since like you said...lots of idle time and low rpm runtime.

I wanted to do the job right, and not take any shortcuts. Besides, after taking a closer look at that aluminum base gasket, it does have some type of adhesive coating on both sides of the gasket. It has a stickiness to it and once it is compressed and removed, the coating will get mangled. So that may compromise its purpose. Nevertheless, it appears yours worked out, with zero leaks.
So far lol...I guess I haven't really looked at it much since I did that. I got a race weekend at Daytona and another race day on the bike since I did all of this, so hasn't been a lot, but it's been put through the paces. I'll have to check and see if there's anything seeping through.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for the detailed pics. I hope I never have to this job...

I’m with SBK, If I ever have to do this I’m definitely going with the thinner head gasket...

I thought about installing this as well. Then I read that this thinner head gasket alone will get you another 1/2 HP. The butt dyno won't recognize it. A mod like that is best used in conjunction with other head mods. Also, running higher compression results in more heat. More heat can induce detonation, ergo, higher octane gasoline will be required. This just may be the answer to help reduce the carbon buildup in the combustion chamber, haha. I'm new to all this and is it's just theoretical jargon, lol. You could be a heroic guinea pig.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ok, so I fired her up Saturday morning. Sounded great, rode great, probly stronger than ever. Whew what a relief, was kinda nervous at first. Thank God, no leaks in the head area, apart from a small oil leak in the clutch cover area because of a re-used clutch cover gasket. Was gonna use a new one, but decided otherwise because I will do an oil and filter change again, shortly.

Talking about coolant flushing, it took me the whole bloody day. I did find a little bit of "white cotton-like wafts" in the water during the first flush. This signifies the aluminum in the radiator/engine is starting to corrode. The new coolant I used was Honda Type 2 antifreeze that I already have lying around. Also added Samco silicone radiator hoses to replace the weak azz OEM tubes. And zip-tied the leaking rubber hoses connecting the reserve tank to reinforce the weak wire clips.

It was a 5 step flushing procedure:
1. Flush with distilled water and vinegar solution of 50/50.
2. Distilled water flush
3. Another distilled water flush
4. Coolant added 50/50 mix
5. Second coolant flush using another 50/50 mix (this second coolant flush ensures a proper 50/50 mix).

Long procedure, but the good news is, it's a 3 year service interval.

Reactions: Joao18

·
Registered
553 Posts
Ok, so I fired her up Saturday morning. Sounded great, rode great, probly stronger than ever. Whew what a relief, was kinda nervous at first. Thank God, no leaks in the head area, apart from a small oil leak in the clutch cover area because of a re-used clutch cover gasket. Was gonna use a new one, but decided otherwise because I will do an oil and filter change again, shortly.

Talking about coolant flushing, it took me the whole bloody day. I did find a little bit of "white cotton-like wafts" in the water during the first flush. This signifies the aluminum in the radiator/engine is starting to corrode. The new coolant I used was Honda Type 2 antifreeze that I already have lying around. Also added Samco silicone radiator hoses to replace the weak azz OEM tubes. And zip-tied the leaking rubber hoses connecting the reserve tank to reinforce the weak wire clips.

2. Distilled water flush
5. Second coolant flush using another 50/50 mix (this second coolant flush ensures a proper 50/50 mix).

Hard to believe how 3 years has passed by. I remember just joining the forum. Glad to see it turned out fine for you man. I could only imagine how nervious you were before the first start after all that work. For me just changing the plugs at the first time gave me a pumped heart rate as I was eager to not **** something up. And when I came to start it, the cliche came in on me hard, you could hear the fuel flowing, I pressed the button, and.. seized. I was sure I am into so deep trouble as it wasn't responding trying again and again...gone like that for a few minutes until I reliazed the red igniton button was at the off postion lol 🤣 pressed again and it started up fine, what a relief that was.

I am probably going to sell the bike due to me having to go through surgeries in both my elbows and one shoulder due to some messed up ****. If you want a good read and wtf moments google and youtube ulnar nerve subluxation and snapping triceps. I am not going to be able to use the bike for a long time, and together with all of it's known issues, I just decided to move on and hopefully when I am good again get in the future get a new bike. If I ever get there, hopefully, hardest time of my life right now.

Love and will always remember all the cool guys from this forum.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hard to believe how 3 years has passed by. I remember just joining the forum. Glad to see it turned out fine for you man. I could only imagine how nervious you were before the first start after all that work. For me just changing the plugs at the first time gave me a pumped heart rate as I was eager to not **** something up. And when I came to start it, the cliche came in on me hard, you could hear the fuel flowing, I pressed the button, and.. seized. I was sure I am into so deep trouble as it wasn't responding trying again and again...gone like that for a few minutes until I reliazed the red igniton button was at the off postion lol 🤣 pressed again and it started up fine, what a relief that was.

I am probably going to sell the bike due to me having to go through surgeries in both my elbows and one shoulder due to some messed up ****. If you want a good read and wtf moments google and youtube ulnar nerve subluxation and snapping triceps. I am not going to be able to use the bike for a long time, and together with all of it's known issues, I just decided to move on and hopefully when I am good again get in the future get a new bike. If I ever get there, hopefully, hardest time of my life right now.

Yeah, it hasn't been the smoothest 3 years to say the least. I didn't catch if your injuries are related to when you low-sided on the N400. You got your youth, you got hope. And not to mention a whole bunch of other fun hobbies to get into. Definitely not the end of the world, but a new beginning. Keep your head up bro!

·
Registered
Ninja 400 2018
87 Posts

2. Distilled water flush

Glad to hear she survived surgery and is running better than new, i am going to do my coolant flush tomorrow, i also noticed today that the level is right in the middle so during this 3 years some coolant evaporated.

Get better soon my friend and dont leave this hobby.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yeah, it hasn't been the smoothest 3 years to say the least. I didn't catch if your injuries are related to when you low-sided on the N400. You got your youth, you got hope. And not to mention a whole bunch of other fun hobbies to get into. Definitely not the end of the world, but a new beginning. Keep your head up bro!
Glad to hear she survived surgery and is running better than new, i am going to do my coolant flush tomorrow, i also noticed today that the level is right in the middle so during this 3 years some coolant evaporated.

Get better soon my friend and dont leave this hobby.
No It's not related to the bike, all that good stuff happened half a year ago due to me training over my normal weights and limits like a moron. So I am paying in debt for all that now. Anyhow I wont sway from this thread subject anymore. Thank you both, have a good one and hopefully this wont be my last bike. Fingers crossed.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts