Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I’ve been working on this much slower than I’ve wanted to, and I think I’m finally to a point where I’m going to post about it. I’d say the swing arm is about 95% complete, and the triple tree is about 50%. All of the parts have come from a 2016 ZX6R. Pardon the messy garage in the pics, I’ve had a lot of life things going on lately.

Done so far:
Swing Arm:
-Cut arm and added bushings to attach to stock 400’s pivot
-Used shock from 600/750 GSXR, slightly modified the mounting point on swing arm to account for the ZX6R’s offset in suspension
-Used 3/8” offset front sprocket to align the sprockets/chain
-Moved a few lines/wires, added spacer for right rearset to clear master cylinder

Forks:
-Mock installed triple tree

Left to do:
Rearset:
-Fine tune a few things, get ride height correct after front forks are done.

Forks:
-Get risers for controls and install. There is absolutely NO way the ZX6R’s setup will fit with the 400’s plastics
-Install bearings to fit the triple tree to the head.
-Fabricate new steering stop. I feel this is relatively minor, yet necessary.
-Rewire/Recable as necessary.

Honestly, this has been a lot of fun. I 100% do not recommend the swing arm though. The amount of burden it has been to make it work is absurd, and there are probably better options out there. As for the forks, I’m pretty excited to see how this is going to pan out.

Oh, and one more thing. I am very very aware that I could have sold my 400 and taken the money I’ve dumped into this and picked up a nice new ZX6R, but what’s the fun in that?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Seems like a lot of work and a lot of unnecessary extra weight that is added. What’s the goal you are trying to achieve with this suspension swap?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like a lot of work and a lot of unnecessary extra weight that is added. What’s the goal you are trying to achieve with this suspension swap?
The main reason is “Because I could.” I didn’t put it on a scale, but I will say that the swing arm is incredibly light, possibly even less than stock. Over all, I don’t think there is much of a gain in total weight. If that concerned me, the best weight reduction I could do is get myself down to a decent body weight.

In all seriousness, the stock front suspension leaves a lot to be desired. I am personally a fan of upside down forks. I’ve also never been particularly pleased with the breaking power, even with ABS. This checked all of those boxes (well... the rear brake is smaller on the ZX6R... weird, right?). I had originally thought about taking the 650’s suspension and brakes, but this seemed better over all.

·
Registered
242 Posts
not to hijack but has anyone looked at 390 front end and swap out the OEM 390 stem for an N4 OEM stem? USD forks on the 390 with a radial brake caliper plus 110 rim

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
not to hijack but has anyone looked at 390 front end and swap out the OEM 390 stem for an N4 OEM stem? USD forks on the 390 with a radial brake caliper plus 110 rim
Or latest model R3 front end. A guy here races both bikes and says front end on the R3 is superior to the KTM.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took it out for a test ride today, so here is where I am with this so far.
The steering stem was a mess, as expected. I chose to modify the bearings since I couldn’t find any bearings that had the correct id/od without getting something custom made that was severely cost inhibitive. The handlebars suck, a lot. I wasn’t sure what I was getting into, so I got a few cheap clamps off ebay. I believe the correct ones to use will be Woodcraft’s 50mm 1.5” or 2“ risers. This should give me back the height I lost in the front by being able to place them under the top triple clamp. Wheel speed sensors are a mess, I have no idea why they’re not working and I have put zero time into investigating it yet. All in all though, despite the geometry being in a weird spot right now, the fork swap made a word of difference in the front, and the front brakes perform great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts