Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

ZX 4R is coming to the USA

16686 Views 343 Replies 43 Participants Last post by  kpier883
Well,
I saw the dealer announcement today at my local Kawasaki dealer. No price or availability. The supply will be limited, the rep said. Probably May/June. It has the new liquid dash, and dual front brakes, I only saw the green version.
Broan
  • Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: 4
321 - 340 of 344 Posts
Hold on Pmack, we all saw that video of The Foothills Pkwy you posted coupla months ago. Talk about letting it eat!!
🐉
That is 80-85%, so carrying some safety margin for me.
Sticky tires, upgraded suspension, better brakes, rear sets, etc.
I don't normally exceed 80-85mph on the street either, but it was almost abandoned that day.
I have done mountain runs in my younger years that makes that video look like a 50cc scooter ride.
  • Wow
  • Helpful
Reactions: 3
Ah ... the good old days of middle age :rolleyes:. I remember them well and riding a Sportster. Going opposite directions around a blind corner on a two-lane road, I crossed paths with a sport bike. We were both passing cars. Seeing each other coming we kept slightly to our sides of the middle line. I estimate we were both going about 70, for a potential combined impact of 140mph. The speed limit was 55. My reflexes, reaction times, muscle memory in my prime surprised me and saved my life then and numerous other times. I know my reflexes aren't that sharp today. :cry:

But I do have the years of experience, and a Z400 with ABS to assist me. (y)
  • Love
Ah ... the good old days of middle age :rolleyes:. I remember them well and riding a Sportster. Going opposite directions around a blind corner on a two-lane road, I crossed paths with a sport bike. We were both passing cars. Seeing each other coming we kept slightly to our sides of the middle line. I estimate we were both going about 70, for a potential combined impact of 140mph. The speed limit was 55. My reflexes, reaction times, muscle memory in my prime surprised me and saved my life then and numerous other times. I know my reflexes aren't that sharp today. :cry:

But I do have the years of experience, and a Z400 with ABS to assist me. (y)
I have only crossed center on a hand full of occasions in 35 years of street riding, none since I learned to trail brake 25 plus years ago.
I have been guilty of painting big black marks on corner exits and passing vehicles in a hooligan manner.
To quote Toby K, "I ain't as good as I once was".
I am still not as good once as I ever was unfortunately.
I am going to be 50 this year, and my vision and processing speed aren't as good as they used to be.
I am o.k. with it. I did what I did then, and now I ride within my margins on the street.
Reactions: 4
I estimate we were both going about 70, for a potential combined impact of 140mph.
The combined impact is still 70mph. Like hitting an unmoving wall. Equally weighted vehicles cancel each other's movement to zero on impact, like hitting an unmoving obstacle.
Mythbusters did an episode on it.
  • Helpful
Good to know, but I don't ever want to test that myth. No road test dummy here.:cautious:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
I liked how they used clay plugs to verify the impact. Pretty clever those busters of myth were.
Reactions: 1
The combined impact is still 70mph. Like hitting an unmoving wall. Equally weighted vehicles cancel each other's movement to zero on impact, like hitting an unmoving obstacle.
Mythbusters did an episode on it.
That is interesting and all, but...

1. Would you rather hit another motorcycle that is sitting still or one that is coming straight at you at speed?

2. How about two football players. Both weigh 200 pounds. FBPlayerOne is standing upright while FBPlayerTwo is running at full speed. FBPlayerTwo runs straight into the FBPlayerOne who is still standing motionless.
Now let both football players run at full speed straight into each other.
Which one do you think FBPlayerTwo would say felt like the larger impact?

The point is that a motorcycle is not an immovable wall. So hitting a stationary motorcycle at 70 mph and an immovable wall at 70 mph are two very different things. And hitting an oncoming motorcycle where each is running 70 mph (in opposite directions) for an effective closing rate of 140mph is not the same as hitting a motorcycle that is sitting still. In that case, the combined closing rate is 70 mph.

How about this one...
Two motorcycle are going in the same direction. One is going 70 MPH while the other is going 71 MPH. The one going 71 MPH runs straight into the rear of the one going 70 MPH. Their closing rate is 1 MPH. Was impact and resulting carnage the same as running into a bike going in the other direction?

So, in my view the closing rate (which is what Seniorrider was referencing) is very important.
See less See more
  • Helpful
Reactions: 1
That is interesting and all, but...

1. Would you rather hit another motorcycle that is sitting still or one that is coming straight at you at speed?

2. How about two football players. Both weigh 200 pounds. FBPlayerOne is standing upright while FBPlayerTwo is running at full speed. FBPlayerTwo runs straight into the FBPlayerOne who is still standing motionless.
Now let both football players run at full speed straight into each other.
Which one do you think FBPlayerTwo would say felt like the larger impact?

The point is that a motorcycle is not an immovable wall. So hitting a stationary motorcycle at 70 mph and an immovable wall at 70 mph are two very different things. And hitting an oncoming motorcycle where each is running 70 mph (in opposite directions) for an effective closing rate of 140mph is not the same as hitting a motorcycle that is sitting still. In that case, the combined closing rate is 70 mph.

How about this one...
Two motorcycle are going in the same direction. One is going 70 MPH while the other is going 71 MPH. The one going 71 MPH runs straight into the rear of the one going 70 MPH. Their closing rate is 1 MPH. Was impact and resulting carnage the same as running into a bike going in the other direction?

So, in my view the closing rate (which is what Seniorrider was referencing) is very important.
Clearly an obstacle that moves/gives when impacted changes everything, and is not the myth in question.
And here's the big problem. At least locally, the dealers are charging between $1,500 and $2,000 for "setup" and "shipping" charges. Plus, add another $1,000ish to get it properly tuned to get the full 80hp. So, that $10,000 bike will actually cost you almost $15,000 after taxes, fees, etc. That's waaaaaay too much.
This is why I'm waiting to see what the new ZX6R is like on the 6th of June.

ZX4R pricing still hasn't been released for Aus, and the bikes supposedly aren't due until our spring. If it was lighter and had a higher spec, aluminium frame and swing arm I'd be much more interested in the 4R.

Realistically I don't need either, but motorcycles aren't sensible purchases anyway.
I am going to be 50 this year, and my vision and processing speed aren't as good as they used to be.
I am o.k. with it. I did what I did then, and now I ride within my margins on the street.
I’ll be 58 in a few weeks, and know just what you mean. I still have fun on my bike and push the limits a bit, but the guideposts for those limits have progressively shifted to a less rambunctious slice of the fun spectrum. A man’s gotta know his limits.
  • Love
Reactions: 5
This is why I'm waiting to see what the new ZX6R is like on the 6th of June.

ZX4R pricing still hasn't been released for Aus, and the bikes supposedly aren't due until our spring. If it was lighter and had a higher spec, aluminium frame and swing arm I'd be much more interested in the 4R.

Realistically I don't need either, but motorcycles aren't sensible purchases anyway.
If you look back at the historic small displacement inline 4's and 2 strokes they used the same formula for their tail sections and swingarms.

There's a balance that has to be met for achieving the desired result with an approach of keeping costs down that works with the 4RR.
I have yet to see a bad review on the bike and is worlds better than anything in its class if there was a class for the 4RR. 😂👍
I’ll be 58 in a few weeks, and know just what you mean. I still have fun on my bike and push the limits a bit, but the guideposts for those limits have progressively shifted to a less rambunctious slice of the fun spectrum. A man’s gotta know his limits.
I know the feeling and as I gain more years on this planet I realize I must stop being so competitive with myself. It's hard. 🤷🏼‍♂️

After my last 2 crashes I've realized I can't crash any more. The body can't take it and I want to ride until I no longer can and that's not from doing squid things or pressing my limits. 😎
Hold on Pmack, we all saw that video of The Foothills Pkwy you posted coupla months ago. Talk about letting it eat!!
🐉
Sitting in the hotel in Maryville waiting to unleash Mrs. Pmack and the 4RR on the local to you roads.
I am on my street/track N400, same bike from that video. We are going to avoid the dragon like the plague tomorrow, and ride Southeast of the Dragon. We will probably head up the Cherohala Skyway, then 129 to 74?, then Wayah over to Franklin. We will probably run 281 around the lake, then hit 215 up to the BRP, then back through Cherokee and the FHP(opposite direction this time.).
Aaahhh Wayah to Franklin. Love that ride! There is a side road near the top of the mountain that is Road 711. Turns to gravel so I always just ride up and turn around but there are some good views and unmolested nature. Gonna be cool weather on top of the mountain tommorow and maybe damp. Be safe Brotha.
🐉
I have yet to see a bad review on the bike and is worlds better than anything in its class if there was a class for the 4RR. 😂👍
Main complain on the reviews is the cost, the weight, and the power, especially compared to a ZX6R.
  • Helpful
Main complain on the reviews is the cost, the weight, and the power, especially compared to a ZX6R.
Agreed to a point. 👍

I was actually looking to buy the ZX6R 636, joined their forums in anticipation, and looked around for a good used bike.

All the used bike prices were high and not far from a new bike so I gave up on getting another bike as I have 2 already.

But then word came out about the 4RR and my wallet started to grieve. Yup I had to get one price be damned.😂

The rest is history and so will this bike whereas the 6R will maintain mainstream status and devalue in time.
Some of us don't care about the money and no we aren't rich, far from it but the appeal of a bike like this outweighs any rational thinking. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I'm getting rid of an iconIc cult classic motorcycle to gain a newer future icon with the 4RR.
Worth the sacrifice.

Cost Is subjective when you know what a value you're getting.

Weight can be reduced and the out the box handling is the 4RR belies it's heavy factory weight.

Stock power is appalling but a tune is all that's needed to bring out the beast hidden by the green new deal morons running the governments of the world. 🙄
See less See more
As with all the bikes I've owned, if I had any more power, I'd make use of it. Wheelies and more triple digit speed would be common. At my age I don't know how many riding years I have left. But that type of machine would likely lessen my life span, and definitely increase my insurance costs.:cautious:

I'm quite happy with my 400 twin. (y)
Same here. I'm way too old now for heroics and am happy just to go for a ride or go to a track day every once in a while with my Ninja 400 and scare myself silly. I don't need to explore the upper limits of the speed my bike is capable of (been there, done that) and I can't afford speeding tickets or the effect a speeding ticket would have on my insurance.

I'd love to ride the new 400 but I'll never get the chance - and thats ok. Life is good on any motorcycle :)
  • Love
It’s not just an “R” it’s an “RR”. 😂
  • Haha
I have an eye on a X4RR but want the hype to die down a bit plus see where the tune development takes us. If I do end up getting it this will be a keeper and the only bike for the track I'll need. For now theres a new to me N400 and R6 to have fun at the track with.
321 - 340 of 344 Posts