Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I see where this would be really fun if you're at a place where the inline 4 can fly. But I wonder about low-end torque for day-to-day riding and commuting.

Yep, it's Mr. Boring and Practical chiming in. :geek:

·
Director of Moderation
3,449 Posts
All well and good, but how many people in the US market are willing to lay down $8-9 grand plus for a bike that is less suited for novice/commuter/urban riders than our current Ninja 400? Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but I worked at a Yamaha dealer in the late eighties when the FZR400 was introduced in 1988, followed by the FZR600 in 1989. The price of the 400 was $4699, and the 600 was $4899 - the FZR600 sold like hotcakes, but the '89 and '90 FZR400's became part of the permanent showroom decor! The dealership sold the last few at cost just to get them out of the showroom. Granted, the 400 with its aluminum chassis was much tricker than the 600, but that appealed only to wealthy cognoscenti and club level racers. And all the racers I knew at that time would sooner pawn their first-born rather than pay MSRP.
Really, I hope that big K does offer this model in the US market; it would add a lot of glamor and excitement to their line-up. However, the bean counters will have the final say. They may try to limit their risk by selling ZX4R's on a special-order basis, with a non-refundable deposit required (like Yamaha does for the VMax). If such is the case, how many of you out there are willing to put your money where your mouths are?
Yep, the price is my biggest concern with this. If it's around $9k, I can't imagine they will sell many. But if it's going to be somewhere around $6000-$7000 I think they will sell just fine.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I see where this would be really fun if you're at a place where the inline 4 can fly. But I wonder about low-end torque for day-to-day riding and commuting.

Yep, it's Mr. Boring and Practical chiming in. :geek:
Yep. Me too.

Plain and simple I don’t want a “little” bike that weighs over 400 lbs. I’d rather have the RS660 to fill that role.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yep, the price is my biggest concern with this. If it's around $9k, I can't imagine they will sell many. But if it's going to be somewhere around $6000-$7000 I think they will sell just fine.
The thing is, if it's a high enough spec to be really interesting it's going to have to be at least that much. How much did the last generation of 600SS bikes cost? A 400-4 really isn't any cheaper to build.
@KwackerJack makes very good points regarding the market, and those facts are why the high end 400-4 SS bikes were never imported here.

Really, the only places they ever made sense were those where licensing and tax laws made them viable. If you don't have those constraints the optimum solution to the "weighs less than 400 lbs and makes 70-80hp" problem is not a 400-4.

Not to say that they aren't cool as ****, and yes, I'd like to have one. :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
The thing is, if it's a high enough spec to be really interesting it's going to have to be at least that much. How much did the last generation of 600SS bikes cost? A 400-4 really isn't any cheaper to build.
@KwackerJack makes very good points regarding the market, and those facts are why the high end 400-4 SS bikes were never imported here.

Really, the only places they ever made sense were those where licensing and tax laws made them viable. If you don't have those constraints the optimum solution to the "weighs less than 400 lbs and makes 70-80hp" problem is not a 400-4.

Not to say that they aren't cool as ****, and yes, I'd like to have one. :)
Everyone is going to have their own idea of what the ZX4R needs to be before ordering one. For me the specs will need to be 400lbs and Kawasaki published crank HP between 70-80hp/(60-70 dyno). The ZX25r pricing is between 6.5-8k so if the ZX4R has similar pricing it would be worth it to some to upgrade to the ZX for an extra 2k-3k because it comes track ready with better engine, gear box/clutch, brakes, tires, chassis, suspension, drive modes, etc. On the flip side, the ZX6R cost me 11.5 and I would have went with the ZX4R if it were available in the desired specs and saved 3k.

For me the 400 series makes more sense because I only ride country roads with a max speed limit of 55. It's much more important for me to have better handling than HP.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts