Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ninja 400 KRT
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on Reddit, seems like the ZX-4R is finally coming to North America, well to the US atleast, doesn’t mention anything about Canada

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 400, 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
1,046 Posts
Oh my.
Oh my.

I've been looking at the ZX6R 636 for a possible purchase way down the road but this is the bike that would have it all. 🤯🥰

Inline 4 which is what's missing in my stable.
Light weight and nimble like the N 400.
Better factory suspension and adjustability.
The scream at wot. 🤗

Oh my. 🤫

·
Registered
2021 Ninja 400, 1998 Honda VTR1000 SuperHawk
1,046 Posts
Unbelievable. This is why Kawasaki rocks and those other manufacturers make me want to vomit. I'll be calling a couple of dealerships tomorrow to inquire.

That's exactly what I'll be doing when I get home late August. 👍
I've got to pick up some exhaust gaskets I ordered when there and will certainly be inquiring about both the ZX4R and 6R as well.

I'd love to see some specs on the 4R and most important is the weight. 🤞

·
Director of Moderation
3,524 Posts
If it really does come here I doubt it will have a class to race in. I doubt we will see any other manufactures build a 400/4 and I can’t think of any classes in our series it would fit in.
CCS has 3 classes that it'd be competitive in...same as the FZR400. 500GT, 500 Superbike and 500 Supersport! The FZR400 is still competitive in those classes even after 30+ years. And depending on the specs of the bike, I'm sure in a year or two MotoAmerica would revise the Jr Cup rules to allow it.

·
Director of Moderation
3,524 Posts
I'd love to see some specs on the 4R and most important is the weight. 🤞
Hopefully the weight will stay similar to the N400, and as for power my guess is it will be around 55-60 hp stock. A ZX10 makes about 200 hp/liter. A zx6r is around 185-190 hp/liter. I imagine a 400 will be tuned down quite a bit more being a low displacement bike that's not designed purposely for racing, so I doubt it'll have more than 150 hp/liter. Also because it'll still be viewed as an "entry level" bike which means it has to be below certain limits in power to qualify for motorcycle licenses in countries that have restrictions on what size of bikes you can ride in your first year or two of getting your license. Here in the US that doesn't matter because we don't have those restrictions but in other markets it's a thing, so Kawasaki might be looking closely at that and try to cover as much of the market as possible. However, that means there will be potential for much improvement, especially if most of the limitations are in the ECU maps ;)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hopefully the weight will stay similar to the N400, and as for power my guess is it will be around 55-60 hp stock.
The ZX25R and ZX4R will share the same framework so the weight should be similar or higher than the ZX25R 396lbs. Also, the original ZXR400 had 62hp and that was 30 years ago so I would expect a higher output than the original. The ZX25R has 50 hp so a 5-10 hp increase and extra 40lbs would be super lame IMO and a waste of everyone's time.

Having said all that, I honestly have no idea of the weight or hp so it's just an educated guess based on available data. If the ZX4R comes out with 55-60hp I will pass. It will need at least 70-80hp, weigh 400lbs and come in lime green (ABS) to get my order.

For reference, the ZX6R with just the Hindle slip-on exhaust drops about 10 pounds so it weighs 420 with ABS and has 127hp.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Yeah Euro market may be lower hp with a euro ECU but I would think US will probably have the less restrictive ECU would be my guess to make the sales.

If this does come state side heck yeah I am all in as well. 😎

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
CCS has 3 classes that it'd be competitive in...same as the FZR400. 500GT, 500 Superbike and 500 Supersport! The FZR400 is still competitive in those classes even after 30+ years. And depending on the specs of the bike, I'm sure in a year or two MotoAmerica would revise the Jr Cup rules to allow it.
That’s good for the old classic 400/4’s but a new one with 65-70 hp would make the class a joke.

All our “500” classes are limited to twins. There are a couple classes for up to 460cc 4’s but the RS660 is allowed in those classes also.

·
Director of Moderation
3,524 Posts
The ZX25R and ZX4R will share the same framework so the weight should be similar or higher than the ZX25R 396lbs. Also, the original ZXR400 had 62hp and that was 30 years ago so I would expect a higher output than the original. The ZX25R has 50 hp so a 5-10 hp increase and extra 40lbs would be super lame IMO and a waste of everyone's time.

Having said all that, I honestly have no idea of the weight or hp so it's just an educated guess based on available data. If the ZX4R comes out with 55-60hp I will pass. It will need at least 70-80hp, weigh 400lbs and come in lime green (ABS) to get my order.

For reference, the ZX6R with just the Hindle slip-on exhaust drops about 10 pounds so it weighs 420 with ABS and has 127hp.
No way the ZX25 makes 50 hp. Not a lot of data out there for that yet, but a quick dyno video of one that I just googled showed about 35-36 hp with an aftermarket exhaust. Others claimed around 40, but I only just now spent a few minutes googling. 50 hp would be pretty insane for a stock street bike 250 when Moto 3 bikes are around 55-60 hp and those are race engines. So if that's 35-40 hp, then the zx4 would make sense to be around 55-60. Also back in the day there weren't nearly as many restrictions for emissions as there are now, so it wouldn't surprise me if the new ZX4r isn't going to make more power than the old ZXR400...however with modern technology I expect it would have more potential to make more power. So bone stock...probably no more than 60, but with potential to be around 70 hp with minor upgrades like exhaust, intake modification, cam timing changes and an ECU flash.

·
Registered
198 Posts
A lot depends on Bore/Stroke ratio and state of tune. Other things being equal what governs how much power an engine makes is bore area, not displacement. If this motor has similar b/s ratio and state of tune as the 600 supersports it should make 70hp.

·
Registered
691 Posts
No way the ZX25 makes 50 hp. Not a lot of data out there for that yet, but a quick dyno video of one that I just googled showed about 35-36 hp with an aftermarket exhaust. Others claimed around 40, but I only just now spent a few minutes googling. 50 hp would be pretty insane for a stock street bike 250 when Moto 3 bikes are around 55-60 hp and those are race engines. So if that's 35-40 hp, then the zx4 would make sense to be around 55-60. Also back in the day there weren't nearly as many restrictions for emissions as there are now, so it wouldn't surprise me if the new ZX4r isn't going to make more power than the old ZXR400...however with modern technology I expect it would have more potential to make more power. So bone stock...probably no more than 60, but with potential to be around 70 hp with minor upgrades like exhaust, intake modification, cam timing changes and an ECU flash.
Sure, on the Akrapovic dyno it showed 41 hp at the rear wheel, and Kawasaki claims 50hp at the crank. So it depends on whether you are talking about crank or rear wheel hp. The ZX4R should therefore dyno around 60hp I Imagine.

Kawasaki is of course mum on any official details on the Ninja ZX-25R that would give us insights as to the performance characteristics of this unique motorcycle. From this data point found on the Akrapovič dyno though, we would expect the Japanese brand to claim a 50 PS power figure at the crank when it officially debuts, which works out to be 49hp.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki EX400HJF Ninja, 2020 Kawasaki Z400
48 Posts
Saw this on Reddit, seems like the ZX-4R is finally coming to North America, well to the US atleast, doesn’t mention anything about Canada
All well and good, but how many people in the US market are willing to lay down $8-9 grand plus for a bike that is less suited for novice/commuter/urban riders than our current Ninja 400? Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, but I worked at a Yamaha dealer in the late eighties when the FZR400 was introduced in 1988, followed by the FZR600 in 1989. The price of the 400 was $4699, and the 600 was $4899 - the FZR600 sold like hotcakes, but the '89 and '90 FZR400's became part of the permanent showroom decor! The dealership sold the last few at cost just to get them out of the showroom. Granted, the 400 with its aluminum chassis was much tricker than the 600, but that appealed only to wealthy cognoscenti and club level racers. And all the racers I knew at that time would sooner pawn their first-born rather than pay MSRP.
Really, I hope that big K does offer this model in the US market; it would add a lot of glamor and excitement to their line-up. However, the bean counters will have the final say. They may try to limit their risk by selling ZX4R's on a special-order basis, with a non-refundable deposit required (like Yamaha does for the VMax). If such is the case, how many of you out there are willing to put your money where your mouths are?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts