Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Jim, When you "vamped" the ignition wire, how did you do it? Clamp, twist, solder?
:2cents: Heya guys! So we wired my HaloCam M1 cameras this weekend. We searched about 4 stores (and called the dealer's parts department) looking for a "posi tap" method to connect the wiring. A guy posted a how-to on hooking up the HaloCam to his bike and used them.

No one carried them in store, but you can find them online. @thegame101 you may want to get posi-taps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
:2cents: Heya guys! So we wired my HaloCam M1 cameras this weekend. We searched about 4 stores (and called the dealer's parts department) looking for a "posi tap" method to connect the wiring. A guy posted a how-to on hooking up the HaloCam to his bike and used them.

No one carried them in store, but you can find them online. @thegame101 you may want to get posi-taps.

I think Im going to go this way as well.. Thx guys!

Also, the extended meter cover came in today and its on the bike!
Is about 2in. wider and 4in. taller.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Very cool! I'm curious if you notice much difference in wind flow. It looks great!

I took it out for a drive today for the first time since the new cover arrived. The only gear I wore was my helmet. It pretty stagnant around here right now and there was minimal wind, even at 80mph. I live in grid farmland with a highway close and a trusted straight to go all out, break in period in mind.

So I put my bare hand out and up in a vertical line at the top of the new cover at 55mph. Note, i didnt do this with the factory cover for comparison. Being said, the wind at 50mph was directed at the top of my helmet. I didnt feel the same wind on my torso.

So at this point, it seemed to make a real difference. Ill need to ride with gusts and or behind a semi before I can swear by the extended meter cover. However, it seemed to make a real difference in todays ride. Being said, Ill update after riding in more inclement weather.

Bought mine on ebay at 75% off at valleycyclecenter. Asian Motor Parts has them now. I originally ordered from AMP but had to cancel as it was out of stock and I got it from valley in 6 days. Kawasaki seems to be on back order.

Anyway, it feels like a good addition.

·
Registered
78 Posts
EvoTech Kawasaki Z400 Mirror Extension Brackets 2019+

I received my evotech extension brackets a few days ago and havent been able to put them on because all of my tools were in my semi.
But they went on today!
I went with these so I wouldnt have to remove my bar weights, or mess with the locktight that keeps them in place.

"this will give you an extra 50mm width adjustment, plus 30mm extra height."
https://evotech-performance.com/products/ep-kawasaki-z400-mirror-extension-brackets-2019

What it did was basically put the rear view area to my upper bicep and increase the viewable area from 1/8 of the viewable mirror area to 3/4th without having to bring my elbows in or lean to see behind me.

To install, slide the rubber cover up, unscrew the dampener cylinder from the handlebar mount. Screw the extender into the handlebar mount, and screw the dampener into the extender.
Its not really that easy as there are reverse threads on the dampener cylinder, so when you try and tighten a nut, the others will loosen up on you.

Anyway, Itll take some fine tuning to get it all right and tightened. However, its already drastically improved what I can see behind me. Goes well with the taller meter cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Once again, not really a mod..
Cortech 2.0 expandable 36L saddlebags to go with the tail bag.

I like to ride with my crotch on the gas tank, and the bag combo sits just enough over the seat to help keep me there by giving me a soft back rest.
Its large enough to stuff my riding jacket in if it gets too hot.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
i put the ninja400 ventura evo rack on mine, since its main use is as a commuter.
I also put oxford heated grips. I pulled power in much the same was as elsewhere in this thread, except I pulled the switched trigger power from the numberplate light wire since it was easy to get to without pulling too much of the bike apart.

definitely considering the taller factory meter cover. i'm 6'2 and getting a bit sick of the buffeting on my helmet. havent bothered with bar risers though, I find the ergos pretty comfortable.

I do want to get bar end mirrors, but I also dont want to make the bike any wider, so I really need to find just the right ones.
the next major upgrade will be braided brake lines (probably whenever I need new pads next). the rear brakes are woeful, and the fronts could do with a touch more feel.

i've got nearly 4k km on mine now, and its such a great commuter bike.

·
Registered
145 Posts
@thegame101... dude! :3tens: :clap:Dude! :clap: I think you and I both were craving the luggage fix about the same time. I seriously wanted saddlebags but couldn't see them working with the bike's measurements and my fender eliminator. I stared at those Cortechs for so long!!!! I went with the Kriega Drysack 20L. I can add other drysacks to it should I need more storage.

Thanks for the photos and your progress notes!!

Also, love the mirrors. That is a great fix rather than the end ones! Your bike is looking so good!!!!!! I still need to do the reflective wheel tape.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I stared at those Cortechs for so long!!!! I went with the Kriega Drysack 20L. Yours looks more permanent, I may try to pair the two (my tail bags with those saddles)
4 velcro connectors and Im luggage less. The Cortecs work as a unit or individual with the same connectors. Less than 5min and Im back to the tail bag or the saddlebags only, or nothing. Its a great system!

i put the ninja400 ventura evo rack on mine, since its main use is as a commuter.
I also put oxford heated grips. I pulled power in much the same was as elsewhere in this thread, except I pulled the switched trigger power from the numberplate light wire since it was easy to get to without pulling too much of the bike apart.

definitely considering the taller factory meter cover. i'm 6'2 and getting a bit sick of the buffeting on my helmet. havent bothered with bar risers though, I find the ergos pretty comfortable.

I do want to get bar end mirrors, but I also dont want to make the bike any wider, so I really need to find just the right ones.
the next major upgrade will be braided brake lines (probably whenever I need new pads next). the rear brakes are woeful, and the fronts could do with a touch more feel.

i've got nearly 4k km on mine now, and its such a great commuter bike.
Thanks for the wiring tip! Do those gloves pull 12v?

I so wanted to get rid of the stock mirrors, but didnt see a way to do it without removing the end weights. Im really happy with the evotech extenders. The extended meter cover is making a difference as well.

My 1990 Ninja 750R was the best breaking bike I ever rode. This lil 400 is even better pound for pound, IMO. Let me know if you find any candylime braids!

Mine is about to be the commuter as well. Lots of traffic and the only thing that Im worried about is the 2000 other people on the road, lol. Hence the extra lights, reflective tape and suspenders..

·
Registered
145 Posts
4 velcro connectors and Im luggage less. The Cortecs work as a unit or individual with the same connectors. Less than 5min and Im back to the tail bag or the saddlebags only, or nothing. Its a great system!
Nice! I was wondering if you still planned to ride with your wife! :grin:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Indeed I am. Not on this bike much though. Weight is a problem as the Z400 is rated at less than 400lbs. Both of us just skirt under that. No, this bike is a get back to riding trainer so I dont kill myself on a bigger bike. In the mean time Im going to have some fun with it as its relatively cheap. I dont even have my license again yet, running on a permit. Eventually, Ill get her out fitted and we will take a rin or two. I mostly need the luggage for my business documents when I go to work so I dont have to wear a back pack.

In a few years, youll have to read my posts in the Concourse 1500 forums, lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
6LED driving lights. Not too big and work really well on this bike.
Relay used to add additional electrical devices.
Jim, did you have any problems mounting your lights under the left side body cover? Ive got everything I need to install them, but the left and right side covers are different, and the left side covers more of the engine and frame. Looking at your picture more closely it seems that the left side mount is a little bit lower. I noticed the same thing when installing the left side slider..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Jim, did you have any problems mounting your lights under the left side body cover? Ive got everything I need to install them, but the left and right side covers are different, and the left side covers more of the engine and frame. Looking at your picture more closely it seems that the left side mount is a little bit lower. I noticed the same thing when installing the left side slider..
I'm not really sure what you are asking - it was all a straightforward process. I had no problems with covers and the lights are at the same height on each side. My lights are mounted utilising the slider brackets. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the wiring tip! Do those gloves pull 12v?
yep, they pull a bit of juice. since the Z400 doesnt have the factory relay that the ninja has, I just pulled a trigger wire for a standard auto relay from the easiest place that was 12V igntion switched, and wouldnt cause me to die if the wire broke sometime in the future. numberplate light seemed to be the most redundant circuit on the whole bike, and the wires are literally underneath the little plastic tray.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks Orcy. Id like to put in a accy box for multiple hook ups I could plug into for future items. Unfortunately Im not skilled enough to find out the standard extra power output vs draw for the the Z400.

Id like to remind everyone when going into the guts, take a pic or two so the rest of us idiots have a guide.

Orcy, you are saying the license plate light cable can handle some extra current. Id rather put it there than the main ignition switch.

Question.

If you are going to add more than one electrical mod, isnt it better to put a board in than multiple single relays?
So I have LED lights. I have an air horn I want to install. I would like a USB 3.0 plug. Thats 3 relays for 3 accy? But if you add a multiple relay box you only need one assuming the Z400 alternator can cover the power draw. That goes back to the first. How much extra power does the Z400 supply after its turned on and running.

I read about the N400 front and back accy plugs. I looked for them on the Z. Boo!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks Orcy. Id like to put in a accy box for multiple hook ups I could plug into for future items. Unfortunately Im not skilled enough to find out the standard extra power output vs draw for the the Z400.

Id like to remind everyone when going into the guts, take a pic or two so the rest of us idiots have a guide.

Orcy, you are saying the license plate light cable can handle some extra current. Id rather put it there than the main ignition switch.

Question.

If you are going to add more than one electrical mod, isnt it better to put a board in than multiple single relays?
So I have LED lights. I have an air horn I want to install. I would like a USB 3.0 plug. Thats 3 relays for 3 accy? But if you add a multiple relay box you only need one assuming the Z400 alternator can cover the power draw. That goes back to the first. How much extra power does the Z400 supply after its turned on and running.

I read about the N400 front and back accy plugs. I looked for them on the Z. Boo!
the license plate light ABSOLUTELY CANNOT HANDLE EXTRA CURRENT. let me be clear on that. I use it to pull a normally open relay that is wired and fused to the battery. pulling a relay uses almost zero current. if you want to use multiple accessories, just use a relay that can handle the power you will be pulling, and appropriately sized wires for the current draw. the trigger for the relay wont use any more power regardless of how many accessories you add.

I have a photo of the mounting of the controller for the grips in my new owner thread, but no photos of the wiring. I can take some if you need the extra info.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts