Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm loving my new little Z400. I had a Z300 a year ago, replaced it with a Versys 650 that turned out to be too big and heavy for me (loved the power though!), now onto the 400 - just about the perfect power/weight/size baalance for me.

I've had the Z for a month, and so far have added:
- a Leo Vince slip on (sounds gorgeous when revving high, but a quiet burble at tickover)
- front and rear spools
- radiator guard
- aluminium engine casing protectors
- tank pad and knee grips (mounted low for my 29" mini legs...)
- green wheel rim tape
- replaced the ugly white plastic rear brake reservoir with an aftermarket "smoked" version
- scooped some foam from the rear half of the seat to make it more level and stop it pushing my balls into the tank! Such a stupid default shape; I believe it is exactly the same as the Ninja, where it makes much more sense.
- removed the pointless underseat tray and used the Dremel to remove a couple of the plastic "fins" to make a useable underseat storage space
- added 1" risers to improve the ergonomics and get the weight off my wrists more easily

I also have plans to very soon:
- add sliders (on order now)
- electrical: install a phone mount, USB charger, auxiliary front lights, and a louder horn (all in-hand and will be done very soon)
- add a fender extender at the front to keep my feet dry and the bike cleaner (in-hand)

I have also removed every manufacturer safety sticker from the bike (such ugly things), and have removed the "400" stickers from the rear cowls - I hate numbers on any bike; they will be replaced with "Z" stickers from Kawasaki (I just ordered a pair of the green "Z"s, as on the top of the tank). I think that will look great.

I'm also torn about adding a tail-tidy (I have the one off the Z300 and could easily modify to fit). The problem is that I actually quite like the look of the tail end as it is, AND, I am coming into the rainy season here in Thailand so would need to add a hugger too, and they just aren't that sexy imho...

What have you been doing to yours? What do you think about my mods? :surprise:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm loving my new little Z400. I had a Z300 a year ago, replaced it with a Versys 650 that turned out to be too big and heavy for me (loved the power though!), now onto the 400 - just about the perfect power/weight/size baalance for me.

I've had the Z for a month, and so far have added:
- a Leo Vince slip on (sounds gorgeous when revving high, but a quiet burble at tickover)
- front and rear spools
- radiator guard
- tank pad and knee grips (mounted low for my 29" mini legs...)
- green wheel rim tape
- scooped some foam from the rear half of the seat to make it more level and stop it pushing my balls into the tank! Such a stupid default shape; I believe it is exactly the same as the Ninja, where it makes much more sense.
- added 1" risers to improve the ergonomics and get the weight off my wrists more easily

I also have plans to very soon:
- add sliders (on order now)
- electrical: install a phone mount, USB charger, auxiliary front lights, and a louder horn (all in-hand and will be done very soon)
- add a fender extender at the front to keep my feet dry and the bike cleaner (in-hand)

I have also removed every manufacturer safety sticker from the bike (such ugly things), and have removed the "400" stickers from the rear cowls - I hate numbers on any bike; they will be replaced with "Z" stickers from Kawasaki (I just ordered a pair of the green "Z"s, as on the top of the tank). I think that will look great.

I'm also torn about adding a tail-tidy (I have the one off the Z300 and could easily modify to fit). The problem is that I actually quite like the look of the tail end as it is, AND, I am coming into the rainy season here in Thailand so would need to add a hugger too, and they just aren't that sexy imho...

What have you been doing to yours? What do you think about my mods? :surprise:

Beauty!

I think a lower belly pan (chin fairing) would look great on that bike. Not sure if they even make one, but if not someone needs to...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beauty!

I think a lower belly pan (chin fairing) would look great on that bike. Not sure if they even make one, but if not someone needs to...
Yes, you can get one. It is standard fitment on the Special Edition - it's on my maybe list... I kind of like the raw naked look, but that lower cowling (as Kawasaki call it) does look good. I just didn't like the red or blue wheels and the longer screen on the SE bikes, hence buying the standard model. Tempted by the lower cowlings though... $50 each here in Thailand - not too bad!

You can see them on a blue bike here: http://www.kawasaki.co.th/uploads/products/z400/z400-perlgray-black-02.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That comes as standard on the Special Edition. Each to their own, but I think it looks butt ugly!

·
Registered
145 Posts
JimShortz, I really like your tire tape. I'm debating which company to get it from and get my red!

Your exhaust is great, I'm leaning towards a Hindle EVO Megaphone once I get more experience and take it out a bit further from home.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lol, functionality overcomes aesthetics in my opinion. If its ugly and works, well Ill be happy, lol.

That being said, I just bought some rim tape on amazon "Taylor33 Lime Green 17". I also peeled all of the stickers of except the Z on the tank. Makes the bike look meaner, lol.

Jim, if you could edit your post to provide brands and item numbers or links, it would help out a lot! Im interested in some of your mods and would like a direction to proven after market parts.

·
Registered
145 Posts
thegame101, can you post pics of your beast sans stickers? Or just list your bike in your "garage" with all your additions and subtractions? :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sold my jeep tonight. Ill get some pics on more nekkid for you then. Tape is a few days out. Here is the before and after with stickers removed from one side.

Ill also post anything else I do, including saddlebags and other luggage. Ill need them for commute.
I had a magnetic tank bag on my last bike. Scratched the tank all to **** fast. So I dont recommend tank bags unless they are strap based.

Not going to do a lot of mods. But Ill take the thread as a enhancement thread as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
So my "weighing the odds" is over. I am getting the Coffman Shorty Exhaust in Red. The Hindle EXO Megaphone exhaust in chrome is out of stock everywhere. The carbon fiber end cap isn't with the extra money for that in-stock version. Sooooo many glorious posts from the Ninja cousins have the Coffman shorty videos in the forum. Sounds great; I'm sold! :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
I dont think Im going to mess with the exhaust. I like the low growl off the factory. The only reason Id replace it is if I could get the same HP or higher at the same or lower decibels. Not a fan of coffee can buzz on low powered vehicles trying to make them sound tough. LMAO every time a Civic or Subaru goes by with after market exhausts and angled tires only to get out run by a stock Doge Dart. BUT! to each their own...

One thing Im looking at is getting the exposed frame portions, engine and plastic tubes and wires of the Z400 painted or manufactured Kawa lime green. You have the front and rear plastic that is bold lime green, but the rest of the bike is pretty much black. Id like to highlight more lime green throughout the engine and skeletal structure. Like tendons or blood veins, lol. Imagine a clear coolant tube that shows the green fluid flowing through the radiant process, or Kawa green bones..

Years ago, A friend had a Harley, and he did the same, but with brass engine components he made himself to accent the chrome and green of his bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I dont think Im going to mess with the exhaust. I like the low growl off the factory.
Each to their own, but I don't think the Euro standards compliant pipe fitted as standard really growls in any way!

I also don't like stupidly loud exhausts, but mine isn't really loud at all and yet has a beautiful howl at high revs - I love it... I found the bike quite boring to ride hard with the standard exhaust, now it pleads with me to go a little! The sound of the bike really shouldn't make that much difference, but it does to me... :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So, here's an update on where I am at with upgrades/mods so far...

Sliders now added, along with 6 LED Oval driving lights. The additional front lights are really needed for safety here in Thailand, so that drivers treat you like a big bike and give you a little space, rather than ignoring you as a scooter "flea". The sliders proved to be a perfect location for mounting the lights, and imho fit in well together.

Whilst doing the electrics I also added a simple 2A USB charging port on the handlebars and also a second "low tone" horn to add some punch to my horn sound - again, essential in Thailand! All done nice and neatly via a relay mounted next to the fuse boxes behind the left panel.

Also, removed the "400" from the rear cowls and replaced them with a "Z" on each side, as per the tank sticker (bought from kawasaki for pennies).

For those interested in where I bought things from (bearing in mind I am in Thailand!) here are a few links, variously from Lazada (Amazon of Asia!), eBay, and Aliexpress :

The additional horn. Cost a whole $4 and makes a massive difference.

The engine guards Cheap protection is my thoughts ($30).

The radiator protector. I know it says Ninja, but very hard to see in situ - and it cost a whole $10. Anyway... it is my naked Ninja ;-)

The frame sliders. Again, cheap protection on a bike I ride for sporty fun in the Northern Thai twisties ($40).

Tiny sliders fitted to the front wheel ($4)

Surprisingly decent gel tank pad for one dollar, lol.

Fluorescent green rim tape ($3)

Front fender extender. Not yet installed, but I installed the exact same one on my Z300 and it really kept the front of the engine (and my feet!) much cleaner and drier - going on the bike very soon; highly recommended.

6LED driving lights. Not too big and work really well on this bike.

Relay used to add additional electrical devices.

Tank pads that are not for the Z400 but are cheap and look great on it (after a little trimming by me to make them fit perfectly). Note that the position on the tank (see photo above) is perfect for me, with 29" inseam - ymmv!

Replacement rear brake reservoir to replace the nasty thing that comes with the bike. This looks way better than that opaque plastic piece of ugliness!

Rear spools to allow me to get the bike up on a paddock stand

Err... that's all for now! I'd love to hear what you other folks have been doing? Share the love :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ohh!
Thanks a lot for the parts links!
Very interested in the extra driving lights. Drivers in WA State are idiots. Any leg up on them is welcome. Plus, Ive read that the stock headlights arent that great at night.

You didnt list the handlebar risers. Rode my longest cruse to date, 37mi. and the only thing that hurt was my wrists. Im hoping a riser will help. And you are tried and tested!

Now, your youtube vids on how to install all this stuff!, lol!!!!

Good deal JS!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't list the risers because they were bought from a local shop (8 dollars). They are just standard black 1" risers that you can buy anywhere. I fitted mine within an hour of having the bike. Coming from a Z300 (that I put risers on), and having sat on the Z400 in the showroom, I had them sat at home ready to install as soon as I got back from the dealership. It sure did feel weird spannering on a brand new bike though!
Just 1" risers make a massive difference and allow me to get the weight off my wrists without ruining the look of the bike. I highly recommend them for anyone who feels the need. 😁

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sold my jeep tonight. Ill get some pics on more nekkid for you then. Tape is a few days out. Here is the before and after with stickers removed from one side.

Ill also post anything else I do, including saddlebags and other luggage. Ill need them for commute.
I had a magnetic tank bag on my last bike. Scratched the tank all to **** fast. So I dont recommend tank bags unless they are strap based.

Not going to do a lot of mods. But Ill take the thread as a enhancement thread as well.
I forgot what it looked like with out the extended meter cover lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I didn't list the risers because they were bought from a local shop (8 dollars). They are just standard black 1" risers that you can buy anywhere. I fitted mine within an hour of having the bike. Coming from a Z300 (that I put risers on), and having sat on the Z400 in the showroom, I had them sat at home ready to install as soon as I got back from the dealership. It sure did feel weird spannering on a brand new bike though!
Just 1" risers make a massive difference and allow me to get the weight off my wrists without ruining the look of the bike. I highly recommend them for anyone who feels the need. ��
Im assuming you used the flat plate style? Ive found them in a multi height kit that goes from 1" - 1.5" in four steps.

Ive also found risers that are 2", 3"and 4" fixed size, in the L type. Do you feel you may need to higher than 1" in the future?

How tall are you?
At 5' 11", I feel like Im leaning over a bit more than I should.

Also, how thick are the handlebars?

Thx!

Ive purchased the sliders (kawa green), the LED lights, the relay, and the extended windshield (meter cover).

I also bought a few Apace Vision reflective safety harnesses. My riding jacket isnt all that reflective or bright. I can use them at work too.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QIJFI86/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How do you guys feel about the rear fender eliminator and a sequential programmable break light?
https://www.amazon.com/2018-2019-KAWASAKI-NINJA400-Eliminator-Compatible/dp/B07PJD79R2/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=2019+kawasaki+Z400+fender+eliminator&qid=1563234817&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-Ninja-Integrated-Sequential-Smoked/dp/B07HJJ8BHC/ref=pd_day0_hl_107_20?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07HJJ8BHC&pd_rd_r=e6619c9c-a75b-11e9-b055-c790120e382f&pd_rd_w=BPywH&pd_rd_wg=FzIxO&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=6CA4GDYVWEYJ15241H8X&psc=1&refRID=6CA4GDYVWEYJ15241H8X

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im assuming you used the flat plate style? Ive found them in a multi height kit that goes from 1" - 1.5" in four steps. Ive also found risers that are 2", 3"and 4" fixed size, in the L type. Do you feel you may need to higher than 1" in the future?
My risers are 1", and are something like these (but not exactly the same, my bolt pattern is different). I'm not sure how much higher you can go without fouling cables and pipes. I am only 5'6" (with a reasonably long torso though), but I think that even at your height you will find it's enough, especially if you learn to grip the bars lightly (like you are holding chicks in your hands is what I was taught) and use your core strength and knee gripping (tank pads recommended) to keep the weight off your wrists. It improves your stomach muscles too! I'm afraid I don't know the bar width - you'll need to get your calipers out and measure. I just bought standard risers available locally and they fit...

I personally don't like harnesses (both hassle and looks not working for me) and always opt for buying jackets and helmets with a decent amount of reflectivity built in to avoid the need; but each to their own! My jacket also has a red LED in the centre of my back that I can turn on if visibility is bad; although I must admit to never using it.

Tail tidies look good imho, BUT you will get water and dirt sprayed up your back every time you ride in the rain. It's for you to decide if this is worth it - form vs function... You could of course also add a hugger to solve that, but do you like the look of those? I'm trying to make the same decision but am torn on this one, so staying stock for now. With the narrow tail I quiite like how it looks anyway, and I do like not having dirt all up my back!

I personally have no intention of messing with the rear LED brake light. It's super bright and clear, and I don't like rear lights that behave in weird patterns. I see it as everyone understanding regular light patterns, so why do something else? I even find weird pattern cycle lights distracting, so am not doing that to my motorbike. Again, each to their own though.

Happy riding...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah, my luck Ill buy some risers and they wont fit, lol. I dont have a lot of tools. Im more of a drive it and pay someone else to fix it guy, lol.
Being said, I guess I can take it to the dealer and have them measure then order.

At the 1", you didnt have to reroute the cables at all?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts