Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting because I just upgraded from Sidi boots to Dainese. Finally wore through my Sidi's enough to warrant new foot protection.

Had: Sidi Vertigo 2
Love these boots, and they give the maximum protection with an easy zipper up ease. I always go for the most protection with the easiest entry for an general boot. However, they do run about a 1/2 size small. So, on the moto, fantastic. For walking, terrible! Since I am basically a solid 44 foot. Lasted me about 6-7 years.

Now: Dainese Nexus boots. Picked them up at the Dainese SF store last night. Ahhhhh. Same logistics, easy one zipper in. But, these boots are comfy. Oh so comfy. Great ride feel, and great walking comfort. Ahhhh.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Alpinestars Supertech R here, but thinking about getting a more comfortable pair of boots for sport touring. Might be joining the Geezers Club and rocking the ‘stitch soon as well.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I had the Sidi Vert and Vert Corsa's for many years, even had an accident that should have took my life in them, and they came out with just scratches on the sliders. Everything else held up with not much of a mark.

I bought the Sidi Vortice's a few years back and love them, aside from the time it takes to get into them, but I can live with that.

The Sidi Mag-1 are much easier to put on than the Vortice, but some say they lack the protection the Vortice had/has.

I have heard the Sidi Rex are the best of both worlds.

The Sidi ST was the replacement, at least what I heard for the Vert and Vert Corsa's

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm wearing the previous version of these Alpinestar boots: Alpinestars SMX-1 R Boots - RevZilla

They're comfy on the bike and I've even taken short hikes in them without complaint. And the all-black version doesn't call undue attention to themselves. I prefer understated.

I wore them when a group of us rode to White Butte, ND to hike it for a Cops on Top memorial: Cops on Top

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
They're comfy on the bike and I've even taken short hikes in them without complaint. And the all-black version doesn't call undue attention to themselves. I prefer understated.

I wore them when a group of us rode to White Butte, ND to hike it for a Cops on Top memorial: Cops on Top
Aside from the Sidi Vert's(non corsa) I would not take a hike in any of the boots I have/had, lol

That is the kicker, finding a good comfy, well protected boot you could walk all day in. I actually keep a spare pair of shoes in my desk at work for when I ride.......like Mister Rogers I change my shoes when I get to work, and before I leave :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have a pair of Sidi Vortice boots, 8 years old and they have been excellent. These have been, and still are, my daily for the past 8 years, street and track. I have a massive number of hours in these.
They've been down the road a bunch, covered in scratches and road rash if you look closely, but nothing has broken despite all those adjusters and clips. Most of the adjusters even have slight road rash, but no problem.
I replaced the toe sliders with some ceramic units from the get go, and replaced the worn out removable soles a few months ago. They use screw-in inserts across the toe ball joints
Only now a spot on one of the rear 'clamshell' halves, some flexible plastic, is stress cracking from taking the boots on/off. Epoxy is holding the crack together fine though.

Once you get into the swing of things you can get these on and off quick, no problem. Minimal inconvenience.

20201209_113037_Richtone(HDR).jpg 20201209_113316_Richtone(HDR).jpg 20201209_113423_Richtone(HDR).jpg

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
I've always been a Sidi guy. I've had the old Vertebra's and the Vertigo's. They fit me great and are comfortable to walk in. My current pair are the Sidi Roarr. They are very similar to the Vertigo2. I like the adjustable calf feature. I got them as my trackday boot...

I also have a pair of Alpinestars SMX5 that I bought for commuting and they are pretty good. I actually wear them more since they're like my beater pair since I partially melted the heel cup on the stock exhaust. It's funny I prefer the Sidis over the Alpinestars, but I actually wear the Alpinestars more often...

·
Registered
120 Posts
After 5 consecutive pairs of Sidi's - Vertigo's, ST's, Roar's... I made the switch to TCX RT Race boots and LOVE them.

Took a bit to break in and for me to get used to the lacing system but after a few weeks they were like a pair of slippers and feel very safe - highly recommend them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Alpinestars Supertech R here
Same here.

A local shop had the SMX5 on sale, and while they were comfortable I wanted more protection than they could give. It’s a little too easy to mash them flat with your hands.

I tried the TCX RT Race and like them a lot, but the Supertech’s are a better fit for my feet. They are all day comfortable while still giving great feel for the pegs and shifter.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I've got an old pair of SIDI's that I bought around the start of the millennium lol. They've given me stirling service and are nice and light and OK to walk in but pretty poor protection wise.
When I started racing about 5 years ago I bought a pair of RST Track Evo's which I really like to the point where I find I'm wearing them on the road as well more and more and the SIDI's have been pushed to the rear of the wardrobe.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread - but I’m actually looking at getting some proper riding boots and wonder what a good entry level pair for street riding would be. Should I go short or tall? I’d prefer to keep the price lower - but do understand that good gear costs money. Haha.

As of now, I have some cheap Chinese riding shoes - that are completely fine and comfortable for shorter rides - but chew the bottom of my feet up on longer rides of over an hour - just not enough I’m the sole to protect against the pegs.

What I’d be looking for is something with a more substantial sole - but where I don’t lose feel for the pegs and shifter. I would prefer a sportier looking boot - but don’t require any track ready boots for now.

Anyway - apologies if I’m hijacking a thread here... just seemed to fit the conversation and I have been looking to upgrade my footwear. Thanks for any advice you can offer

·
Registered
662 Posts
Taller will be more protective.

In addition to my Supertech boots, I’ve got the A* SMX-1R (not super expensive and not great ankle protection) for short rides in town, and I have a set of Daytona Road Star GTX en route for long rides (I did mention above I was looking, and I found :) ).

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
@dirty250hand are you mostly street riding and commuting? Would you see a need to walk moderate or occasionally longish distances in your boots? If so, I can recommend the boots I linked to above. Fortunately, I haven't crash-tested them, but they seem like they'd provide good protection to my feet and ankles in a crash. I've not felt that the soles were too thin even on all-day rides. And I have good mobility and feel for the controls.

And consider that a good set of boots may cost a bit but, barring a crash, will last a long time. Moderately priced gear should do the job and also last. Very cheap gear is more expensive in the long run because it usually doesn't last.

Reactions: Cornerman

·
Registered
550 Posts
What I’d be looking for is something with a more substantial sole - but where I don’t lose feel for the pegs and shifter. I would prefer a sportier looking boot - but don’t require any track ready boots for now.
You'll find any tougher sport boot to feel utterly horrible initially. Numb on the controls etc compared to lighter footware. However you will get used to them if you can persevere wearing them. They will break in a bit, but mostly it's just getting used to them. You won't think twice about the 'feel' once you've stacked up a bunch of hours wearing them.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I got these for about 160 CAN $ from a local dealer: EXUSTAR|ENJOY YOUR RIDE

So far I am happy with them: I can walk around and they seem to be sturdy and show little wear after 2 seasons of riding. The only thing, it is the velcro that is wearing off. I will have to do something about that next season.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I love my Alpinestars Ridge V2. Ideal shorter commuter boot, which seems to have a good of protection. You can also walk around in them to do a bit of shopping (at your local motorcycle emporium of course).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oh wow! What great recommendations and advice. I wouldn’t be walking in them much at all. Specifically for riding. Stopping for gas or a bite to eat would be the extent of my time on my feet. And thanks for putting my mind at ease about adjusting to the feel of sturdier footwear too. Otherwise I’d probably freak out thinking I had not feel for the foot controls anymore. Haha. I’ve worn work boots a couple of times while riding and it wasn’t terrible. Just an adjustment. Thank you all for being sincerely helpful.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just saw that Sportbike Track Gear has the Alpinestars Supertech R boots for $100 off.

Wish they would have had that deal when I bought mine... 😯

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dainese Nexus update:

Really love these, and they are a worthy "upgrade". Recently watched the STG boot video:

and thought the Dainese is an upgrade from the Sidi's in that they have much better lateral stiffness. Plus, still love being able to walk in these more than 50 feet. Sizing is spot on.

Posting because I just upgraded from Sidi boots to Dainese. Finally wore through my Sidi's enough to warrant new foot protection.

Now: Dainese Nexus boots. Picked them up at the Dainese SF store last night. Ahhhhh. Same logistics, easy one zipper in. But, these boots are comfy. Oh so comfy. Great ride feel, and great walking comfort. Ahhhh.
View attachment 16460

1 - 20 of 23 Posts