Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, reformed squid rider 馃槀馃悪
After reading all the good information here about the R6 throttle tube and available spring I realized the spring can be installed another way.

Instead of having to tear apart the throttle tube and then trying to work through the bikes frame just pull the tank and air box for wide open access to the spring and throttle cable assemblies. 馃榿馃槈

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

As you can see there's a ton of room for getting to the components.
So if you're not squeamish to remove the tank and air box then let's go.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Hood

First thing before disassembly is to see how these cables are run onto the throttle cam and also notice where the green dot and purple dot are as well.
The green dot also marks where the nylon alignment plate lines up with the metal throttle cam so keep note of this.

Remove the two Phillips head screws holding the throttle cable assembly on the throttlebody.
Once loose do not disassemble the cables from that plate but do remove the cables as shown in the pictures below.

There's more than enough room here to do this and once removed set the cables and
aside as shown.

Bicycle part Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Gas Auto part
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Next you want to locate the spring ends so you know how the new spring installs.
Last picture points to the 10mm nut that will be removed to change the spring.
Kitchen appliance Gas Cooking Cookware and bakeware Stove
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Machine Nut

Loosen the 10mm nut and lock washer and set aside.
Gently wiggle the cam plate side to side as you pull it away from the throttlebody making sure to remove it slowly and progressively.
Once the plate is off the threaded shaft the spring and nylon will try to get away from you but isn't hard to unwind it's tension.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive fuel system
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exhaust

Reinstall the new spring immediately and make sure the nylon plate is inserted properly into the cam with green dot facing you.
Spring will be attached to plate accordingly and other end of new spring will hook to its point on the throttlebody.

Carefully turn the cam plate assembly with spring clockwise just off the threaded shaft to add spring tension. Make sure once there is proper tension to align the cam to the shaft and slide it onto the shaft before locking it down with the 10mm nut and lock washer.

Twist the cam plate ti open the throttle bodies to make sure everything is nice and smooth and that it all looks proper like in the before pictures.
Last picture shows completed install with the new spring.

Reinstall in reverse order the throttle cables and cable plate assembly.
All previous cable adjustments should be the same doing it this way and no further cable adjustments needed.

I would suggest to lock the handlebars full left and full right to double check cable slack.
Yeah this way is easier offering tons of room to work with while not having to remove the throttle tube or having to make adjustments after the install.

Good luck. 馃榿馃

Registered
Anyone find an alternative to the $45 soft spring?!! That is pretty outrageous pricing for a friggin spring! What about notching the cam so the OEM is further back and not as tight? Any other hacks? Maybe make one from a kit like this?
Here are 200 springs for $7.99 (4 cents each!), hard for me to swallow $45 for one, over 100X the price!! I realize that $60 for this great upgrade is a good deal BUT, I would not pay $50 for a Q-tip that might fix something either.
Got this done, much easier than I expected. First of all, I only had to remove the one side panel under the tank and removed the far right screw of the larger fairing under it. This allowed all the access needed, no need to pull tank, air box and all the other stuff to get there. Then I used a spring in the assortment I mentioned from Amazon. Drilled a small hole for it on the cam and attached the other end to the frame. All seen clearly in the pic. I now have a pull about the same as my WR250R and a tad less than my S1000R.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, reformed squid rider 馃槀馃悪
That's different for sure. 馃
I like the idea though and should function as good as the aftermarket springs. 馃憤
Great idea and another way to do this mod. 馃槑

Registered
2023 Ninja 400
It's clear that certain people in this thread have never had to order a minimum amount of an item to get it produced and then factor in all of the costs of running a business on top.

I'm happy with my purchase and decision to support a small business that went to the effort and expense of making a great part for our bikes.

Registered
It's clear that certain people in this thread have never had to order a minimum amount of an item to get it produced and then factor in all of the costs of running a business on top.

I'm happy with my purchase and decision to support a small business that went to the effort and expense of making a great part for our bikes.
I fully understand and appreciate the effort and expense that is required to create these ultra-low volume parts. There is no getting around the need to recoup the investment and hope for a profit. This is why special racing parts are so expensive. The custom parts for GP bikes are mind blowing expensive. The old supply and demand adage.

However, if one has the skill and creativity to find a work-around, then that is good old American ingenuity that drives this country forward.

Vendor
2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Got this done, much easier than I expected. First of all, I only had to remove the one side panel under the tank and removed the far right screw of the larger fairing under it. This allowed all the access needed, no need to pull tank, air box and all the other stuff to get there. Then I used a spring in the assortment I mentioned from Amazon. Drilled a small hole for it on the cam and attached the other end to the frame. All seen clearly in the pic. I now have a pull about the same as my WR250R and a tad less than my S1000R. View attachment 27081
I mean it's your bike and you do you, but I wouldn't recommend this purely from a reliability standpoint to begin with. If you removed the spring from the throttle body, then I just hope when that fails you have the presence of mind to shut the throttle in time by hand.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts