Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this year I purchased a dedicated track bike to run in the CCMS Cup. This cup is dedicated to Hyosung 250's & Ninja 400s. They each compete in their own division, but race together on the grid. I wasn't prepared to jump up to a 400 until I'd spent a season or two screaming a 250 around the track - an unbreakable one at that...

I had hinted the interest in purchasing this specific X4R last season, but unfortunately, on the last round, it was involved in a hefty collision between a few bikes, which left many broken humans, as well as broken bikes. But with Sean (previous owner) being the wiz he is, he promptly popped her all back together over our lockdown period, and I purchased the bike with only a few little bits of fixing to go.

Last month was Round 1, and on the last day of entry, with a bike still in primer, unstickered and entirely unprepared, I decided to enter - I was sitting on the fence of being too nervous to enter, but with the push of the cup runners, out came my wallet, and away went my money...

I had a Friday night, and Saturday day, to prep this bike to proper race spec, numbers and all - I have no idea what I was thinking!
Thanks to some epic suppliers (UN4Seen Decals, thank you guys again), my required decals were in my letterbox on the Friday, and with some help of the local paint shop (after I gave up on the idea of spraying it with a can myself...), she was ready to be put back together come Saturday (Race was Sunday!)

Now, I'm a female, and I may have decided that making a statement was the way I wanted to go. So alas, Audi Panther Black Crystal effect colour shift for the tank, fairings and cowl, with an epic colour shift pearl effect pink/blue/purple for the rest. Let's just say I didn't want my Hyo to look like like the Hyobag it was destined to be... haha.

Ride report I'll do in the next post, but here are some snaps of the antics :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Onto the ride report.

So about as rusty as a racer can be, I entered the day without never having sat on the bike, or attending a track day since Feb. Not the recipe for success, but definitely the recipe for fun!

Let me note, there are 42 entries in this class. The start line was more chaotic than a day in dirt... Given I'd never started in a race before, you can imagine how nervous I was.
Qualifying was great, just pottered around, doing my own thing. Qualified 34th with a time of 1.41 (National Track) at Hampton. Not bad... But not the best.

On qualifying, noted that my gear selector was very very low, so had to make a few quick adjustments to get it suitable... going around the whole track in 3rd wasn't the best idea. Eventually we got there. I slowly started picking up speed race by race as I was getting into the swing of things and learning about the bike. It handles surprisingly well for a little Hyo, and certainly didn't try to kill me. I realised a bit into it.. no slipper clutch, so a few hairy skippy moments were in order.

Managed to drop 10 places to 24th after Race One, then boosted it a little more to 19th after race three, and finished up 17th out of race four with a lap time of 1.29 - 12 seconds shaved off!
Also scored myself the "Awesome Ride" award of the day after managing to get myself to the hard task of a sub 1.30.

The Le Man's start was set to be my good race as I really enjoy getting out on my own terms, but after two red flags, the whole race was canned, so alas, I shall prep for it this weekend under Round 2!

Thanks for all the support here team, it's great to have a place to banter, and I know @Kiwi Rider was keen on some updates!
Thanks to Wrexer Productions for the Track Photos :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
That looks hawt! Congrats getting it put together.

Not a bad result given your lack of time with the bike...and you & the bike came back in one piece, always a plus.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks hawt! Congrats getting it put together.

Not a bad result given your lack of time with the bike...and you & the bike came back in one piece, always a plus.
Happy with my 3 day turnaround haha!
Although... as it tends to be... I have a bolt spare :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Ahhh so that's what that bike is!! I kept wondering as I was seeing that on instagram but the Kawasaki logos threw me off! I was even searching online at other non-US kawasaki models thinking this is some bike that Kawasaki makes only for other markets lol

Very good progress from qualifying to the last race!! Good work!

·
Registered
RX135 RD350 ZX12R VFR800 999 YZ250 SXV550 GSA1200 EXC500 RD400 FE390 Tiger800 R6 390 N400
19 Posts
That is one sexy looking bike!

And awesome job on picking up pace while racing and shaving 12 seconds off a lap time. Kudos!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Way to go!! Your bike looks great. Keep the reports coming...
Thanks! It's something a bit different, that's for sure...

Ahhh so that's what that bike is!! I kept wondering as I was seeing that on instagram but the Kawasaki logos threw me off! I was even searching online at other non-US kawasaki models thinking this is some bike that Kawasaki makes only for other markets lol

Very good progress from qualifying to the last race!! Good work!
Haha, the class is sponsored by Kawasaki, so we have to run their decals as part of the cup. And given I'm already affiliated, thought heck, lets make their decal REAL big haha.

That is one sexy looking bike!

And awesome job on picking up pace while racing and shaving 12 seconds off a lap time. Kudos!!
Cheers! Hoping that I can keep up the pace and ideally finish up a few seconds quicker each round!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Although... as it tends to be... I have a bolt spare :rolleyes:
That always happens!
I was wondering what happened to my lost bolt.

A bolt fell off the last time I had the fairings off my bike. It was not to be found even though I emptied everything out of the garage to look for it. I assumed it had landed in a black hole and popped out on the other side of the universe and a puzzled Klingon was trying to figure out where it attached to their warp drive. But it must have only made it to Australia. :LOL::ROFLMAO::p

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
34th to 17th over a weekend eh, pretty decent alright! I've heard about both the Hyosung Cup and the Ninja Cup. Your lucky to live where you do, so central to lots of great racing. The racing scene sucks down here.
One of the guys I race with at the Nationals in Pro twins, Doyle (Drastic Racing) rides in the Hyosung cup as well i think. You know him?
Now, I'm a bit lost on the Kawasaki stickers though... did you buy these decals originally for your 400 or something?
So this weekend is Round two yeah? Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Very cool, nice job on the bike. Looks proper!

Nice job on qualifying......and from that smile ear to ear.....looks like you had a blast, and really at the end of the day if you walk away in one piece, the bike does too, and you had a blast....that is what matters....well that and you actually finish a race.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
34th to 17th over a weekend eh, pretty decent alright! I've heard about both the Hyosung Cup and the Ninja Cup. Your lucky to live where you do, so central to lots of great racing. The racing scene sucks down here.
One of the guys I race with at the Nationals in Pro twins, Doyle (Drastic Racing) rides in the Hyosung cup as well i think. You know him?
Now, I'm a bit lost on the Kawasaki stickers though... did you buy these decals originally for your 400 or something?
So this weekend is Round two yeah? Keep us updated.
Don't personally know Doyle, but yes he does race in the cup - he's in the front group so we don't generally bump elbows haha.
So, we have a few cup sponsors, and the requirement is to run their logos on our race bikes. Kawasaki is a cup sponsor, so as with WIL Sport, Motul, Xlite etc, have to slap their stickers on - I just made my Kawasaki sticker a bit bigger haha!

And yes to Round 2... Interestingly we will be required to have bike checks for legality... First time for everything, but hopefully will even out the playing field knowing everyone is on identical bikes instead of some with more gains than others!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I raced in that CCMS cup for 3 seasons. Came second in the 17/18 and 18/19 seasons on a gt250r I bought off Ken when he had Spectrum dealership. I threw a chinese muffler on it and did the brake lines and that's it. No power commander and I even kept the stock street fairings and trims. I'm light at 70kg which certainly helps.
The 18/19 season I would have won handily but crashed out in the 2nd to last race of the season. For the last race I borrowed a bike and got hit from behind which sent me way off track and lost a heap of places. So my massive points lead disappeared. I didn't race last season or current season, but maybe again at some point.

You'll hear lots of talk about 'cheater' bikes, but it's 99% people having a laugh, imo. My stock as a rock bike shows that. Some people do have killer power commander tunes though, which does make some bikes quicker than others. The main 'cheating' was really out of ignorance with custom brackets for higher rearsets, or using an aftermarket brake cylinder.
But yeah, it's good fun and would have to be the largest championship in the country for competitors. Near 40 bikes on the grid.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Don't personally know Doyle, but yes he does race in the cup - he's in the front group so we don't generally bump elbows haha.
For the last race I borrowed a bike and got hit from behind which sent me way off track and lost a heap of places.
In my very first race with Doyle at Ruapuna this January gone we 'bumped elbows' lol. Actually it was exactly as Grantman describes in his account - He hit me from behind with his front wheel as he was sliding off the track and sent me way off track as well, but i managed to (just) stay upright and rejoin the race but i was last by a country mile.

·
Registered
450 Posts
In my very first race with Doyle at Ruapuna this January gone we 'bumped elbows' lol. Actually it was exactly as Grantman describes in his account - He hit me from behind with his front wheel as he was sliding off the track and sent me way off track as well, but i managed to (just) stay upright and rejoin the race but i was last by a country mile.
What really got me angry in my case is the guy that hit me was a hardcase nutter notorious for being unhinged. He crashed a freakish amount, rode like he was blinded with rage, often had unreasonable arguments with other racers in the pits. Then he'd completely flip to being a 'nice guy'. After my first season I had outpaced him and thankfully didn't cross paths on track again until this day. My start wasn't so hot on the loner bike, and I'd slipped back a bit which is always dangerous. The further back the field goes, the more erratic and dangerous they are. He'd tried to take me on the inside, but he was ridiculously far back and I never so much as glimpsed him when he ran into my rear wheel.
To add insult to injury he filed a complaint with race control! I couldn't believe it. Short story they threw it out after reviewing footage. He never so much as apologised.

P.S. Sorry for the thread hijack!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
What really got me angry in my case is the guy that hit me was a hardcase nutter notorious for being unhinged. He crashed a freakish amount, rode like he was blinded with rage, often had unreasonable arguments with other racers in the pits. Then he'd completely flip to being a 'nice guy'. After my first season I had outpaced him and thankfully didn't cross paths on track again until this day. My start wasn't so hot on the loner bike, and I'd slipped back a bit which is always dangerous. The further back the field goes, the more erratic and dangerous they are. He'd tried to take me on the inside, but he was ridiculously far back and I never so much as glimpsed him when he ran into my rear wheel.
To add insult to injury he filed a complaint with race control! I couldn't believe it. Short story they threw it out after reviewing footage. He never so much as apologised.

P.S. Sorry for the thread hijack!
Was his name Pierfrancesco Chili? and do you mean to say this was during the early 1990's?!?! lol :)

Sounds like how Chili use to ride............poor guy was always binning a bike with a DNF...........

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Nah, sounds more like Shane Dorange (SDSS lol).
Lol yes........that is funny. Someone messing with his swingarm angle.......

Doesn't he live over in NZ with Kiwi and Chaotic? So its entirely plausible.....

.....or was he Aussie?

On another note, and we totally hi-jacked this thread, I noticed he shut down his YouTube channel as well now??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts