·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Reactions: Flash Bantam

·
Registered
460 Posts
https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/pirelli-diablo-rosso-ii-motorcycle-tire/p/28337?b=3061232&m=162887

My purpose is for regular street and freeway use.
These are a good price, and good reviews. Would these be a good choice for the Ninja 400?
The Rosso II are a good tire, they are a softer compound. Softer meaning you will wear them out faster then you would a dual compound. You do a lot of city/hwy riding, I would suggest Angel GT. They have a hard compound in the middle and softer sides. You will get more mileage out of these. They are a little more expensive. I use the GT on my CB1000R. Really good tire you wont regret them.

https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/pirelli-angel-gt-motorcycle-tire/p/41920?m=162887

Pirelli Angel GT Features
-Ideal for sport riders looking for increased mileage without sacrificing grip and traction
-Extended Mileage Sport (EMS) tires provide best-in-class for mileage and grip
-Rear tires feature new Bi-compound formula improves cornering traction.
-"A Spec" rear tires feature a reinforced, 2-ply carcass.
-Improved wet grip.
-Tubeless

·
Registered
14 Posts
One more on the don’t last long. Put a set on my R3 and they stuck great, but the rear wore out very quickly. Not an issue for me because I am fine with trading grip for less longevity. Depends on what is important to you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Rosso II are a good tire, they are a softer compound. Softer meaning you will wear them out faster then you would a dual compound. You do a lot of city/hwy riding, I would suggest Angel GT. They have a hard compound in the middle and softer sides. You will get more mileage out of these. They are a little more expensive. I use the GT on my CB1000R. Really good tire you wont regret them.

https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/pirelli-angel-gt-motorcycle-tire/p/41920?m=162887

Pirelli Angel GT Features
-Ideal for sport riders looking for increased mileage without sacrificing grip and traction
-Extended Mileage Sport (EMS) tires provide best-in-class for mileage and grip
-Rear tires feature new Bi-compound formula improves cornering traction.
-"A Spec" rear tires feature a reinforced, 2-ply carcass.
-Improved wet grip.
-Tubeless
Thanks. I definitely won't get the ones i posted then, I'm going to look into these.

Good tires but dont last as long, imo get a sports touring tire
Thanks. So what might you get for your next tires?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Stock tires are surprisingly good in all honesty IMO...
If you're looking for better wear, I'll second the Pirelli Angel GT.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My front tire is already almost to the tread depth of replacement at 2700 miles. That’s too soon huh? Maybe because this is my first bike and I have been learning for many miles?

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
My front tire is already almost to the tread depth of replacement at 2700 miles. That’s too soon huh? Maybe because this is my first bike and I have been learning for many miles?
This seems very unusual, normally the rear tyre wears out before the front. What makes you think it is worn out? Look down on the tyre profile from above (birds eye view) and look at the shape of the profile.
Better still post a photo for us, the panel of armchair experts.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ll post a picture tonight but I did the Penny trick and seems very close. (Not much of Lincoln’s hair covered). Could it be because my first 1k miles I had a bent rear brake and was waiting on the Kawasaki brake part so I had to do all of my braking with the front lever?

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
I’ll post a picture tonight but I did the Penny trick and seems very close. (Not much of Lincoln’s hair covered). Could it be because my first 1k miles I had a bent rear brake and was waiting on the Kawasaki brake part so I had to do all of my braking with the front lever?

When your braking the front wheel is contacting on the middle of the profile and this isn't where front tyres wear out. It's on the two sides due to cornering forces tearing at the rubber when leaned over.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You know i think it might be due to the front tire being under inflated for a bit. i have since checked them regularly and air up when needed, but i went a good while when i first got the bike without checking.

I'm going to go ahead and buy those Pirelli Angel GT. What size front and rear should i go for? I know the stock tires are 110/150. Also, although i have researched and done all of my maintenance and bike modifications myself, but i think to mount the tires seems like a job for someone with experience, so i'll have a mobile mechanic come by when i receive them to mount them.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You know i think it might be due to the front tire being under inflated for a bit. i have since checked them regularly and air up when needed, but i went a good while when i first got the bike without checking.

I'm going to go ahead and buy those Pirelli Angel GT. What size front and rear should i go for? I know the stock tires are 110/150. Also, although i have researched and done all of my maintenance and bike modifications myself, but i think to mount the tires seems like a job for someone with experience, so i'll have a mobile mechanic come by when i receive them to mount them.
Sup HTXKratom...

Surprisingly it isn't all that hard to put tires on the rims, Balancing them will be the issue - so make sure your mobile guy has that ability. Your bike manual will have the tire sizes you need, Note the front and rear are different in dimensions, I would check with your local tire shop and see if they have or can order them... they will usually mount them for less or free when purchased thru them.

At my local shop if I buy the tires from them and bring the wheels in they will mount and balance free of charge, If I bring the whole bike they charge $25.00 a wheel. If I buy off the net and bring the wheels in they charge $25.00 per wheel or bring the bike in they charge 50.00 a wheel.. So $100.00 bucks added onto my net purchase may kill the savings.

I would check your options first before just running out and getting them off the net, I'm assuming you haven't checked yet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sup HTXKratom...

Surprisingly it isn't all that hard to put tires on the rims, Balancing them will be the issue - so make sure your mobile guy has that ability. Your bike manual will have the tire sizes you need, Note the front and rear are different in dimensions, I would check with your local tire shop and see if they have or can order them... they will usually mount them for less or free when purchased thru them.

At my local shop if I buy the tires from them and bring the wheels in they will mount and balance free of charge, If I bring the whole bike they charge $25.00 a wheel. If I buy off the net and bring the wheels in they charge $25.00 per wheel or bring the bike in they charge 50.00 a wheel.. So $100.00 bucks added onto my net purchase may kill the savings.

I would check your options first before just running out and getting them off the net, I'm assuming you haven't checked yet.

Thanks. I am going to buy the Angel GT tires, but unless i'm missing something the manual just lists the information of the stock tires, and not general information about what the bike can take.

Stock

Front 110/70R17 M/C 54H
Rear 150/60R17 M/C 66H

The Angel GT comes in a variety of many of these numbers, but i can't find one that matches these ones. I did some research and understand some of the meaning of these numbers, but as a whole i am lost on which exact Angel GT Tire i need to purchase for the front, and the rear. I'm ready to make the purchase i'm just not sure what exact tire to buy. If i could even get direct links to which to purchase, that would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sorry Dude..!

Thanks. I am going to buy the Angel GT tires, but unless i'm missing something the manual just lists the information of the stock tires, and not general information about what the bike can take.

Stock

Front 110/70R17 M/C 54H
Rear 150/60R17 M/C 66H

The Angel GT comes in a variety of many of these numbers, but i can't find one that matches these ones. I did some research and understand some of the meaning of these numbers, but as a whole i am lost on which exact Angel GT Tire i need to purchase for the front, and the rear. I'm ready to make the purchase i'm just not sure what exact tire to buy. If i could even get direct links to which to purchase, that would be much appreciated.

Front ( Size = 110 / 70 ) ( R = Radial ) ( 17" Rim )
Rear ( Size = 150 / 60 ) ( R = Radial ) ( 17" Rim )

Those are the designed tire size for your bike.. Don't go out side of that range without talking to a professional... Tire Info

The Pirelli Angel GT Tires are not available for our bike just yet...!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Front ( Size = 110 / 70 ) ( R = Radial ) ( 17" Rim )
Rear ( Size = 150 / 60 ) ( R = Radial ) ( 17" Rim )

Those are the designed tire size for your bike.. Don't go out side of that range without talking to a professional... Tire Info

The Pirelli Angel GT Tires are not available for our bike just yet...!
Ah, i see. This is probably a stupid question you might not know the answer to. But do they plan on releasing Ninja 400 compatible tires any time soon?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ah, i see. This is probably a stupid question you might not know the answer to. But do they plan on releasing Ninja 400 compatible tires any time soon?
No Idea sorry... They have a pretty good rep for the price. Call and ask. If its soon maybe ill get some too. Also maybe call your local kawi dealer and see if any other size can be used on your bike... probably not, clearances become an issue.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Also maybe call your local kawi dealer and see if any other size can be used on your bike... probably not, clearances become an issue.
Fitting other sizes is OK within reason. SDM has a 140 on the rear of his bike and Emud has a 160. A difference in profile from a 60 to a 70 wont create any issues either as there is heaps of clearance on the rear. May change your handling characteristics slightly.

Ive been swapping brands, widths and profiles for years with no dramas apart from once when I went from a 60 profile front to a 70 profile on my Ducati and it rubbed on the front fender. Just had to slot the mount holes with a file, move it up a bit and I was away again.

But then I'm not a 'strictly by the book' sort of guy so take this how you choose and do your own thing. :biggrin:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Fitting other sizes is OK within reason. SDM has a 140 on the rear of his bike and Emud has a 160. A difference in profile from a 60 to a 70 wont create any issues either as there is heaps of clearance on the rear. May change your handling characteristics slightly.

Ive been swapping brands, widths and profiles for years with no dramas apart from once when I went from a 60 profile front to a 70 profile on my Ducati and it rubbed on the front fender. Just had to slot the mount holes with a file, move it up a bit and I was away again.

But then I'm not a 'strictly by the book' sort of guy so take this how you choose and do your own thing. :biggrin:
I called Revzilla about the Angel GT tires Ill be needing a set my self pretty soon, They don't have the the tire in the size listed for the 400, And wouldn't recommend any other size for the ninja 400 other then what listed for the bike, due to possible incompatibility. thats why I told @HTXKratom to talk to a professional, or call his local Kawi dealer to see what he can do.

I have Dunlop Arrowmax GT on my 250 Ninja, Their holding up pretty darn well.... And look great too.!

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
I called Revzilla about the Angel GT tires Ill be needing a set my self pretty soon, They don't have the the tire in the size listed for the 400, And wouldn't recommend any other size for the ninja 400 other then what listed for the bike, due to possible incompatibility. thats why I told @HTXKratom to talk to a professional, or call his local Kawi dealer to see what he can do.

I have Dunlop Arrowmax GT on my 250 Ninja, Their holding up pretty darn well.... And look great too.!
Yeah everyone covers their posterior these days unfortunately. Stops people experimenting and learning from it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You could still try the GT out and tell us how the bike handles. Since the size I saw on the rear is 110/80front 150/70rear the sidewall is a bit higher than the stock size..this might be great on the streets I guess, if you're not using the bike for track days anyway unless you do the knee gragging on streets or mountain roads.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts