Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a bit of a follower of the WSBK series as the machinery they race is a bit closer to what you can purchase yourself as opposed to the exotic GP bikes.

Last year was a touch dull though as Kawasaki rider Jonathan Rea was in a class of his own almost, winning his third WSBK title.

So it's probably going to be another Kawasaki vs Ducati fest but MV Augusta rider Leon Camier has switched to Red bull Honda so it will be interesting to see how he goes. Marco Melandri on the Ducati could be a dark horse too.

Anyways, Round one kicks off this weekend at the Philip Island track in the state of Victoria, Australia.
I'm heading round to a friends place later on and we're going to watch it with a few beers and get Pizzas delivered. :D

WorldSBK

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've always been a bit of a follower of the WSBK series as the machinery they race is a bit closer to what you can purchase yourself as opposed to the exotic GP bikes.

Last year was a touch dull though as Kawasaki rider Jonathan Rea was in a class of his own almost, winning his third WSBK title.

So it's probably going to be another Kawasaki vs Ducati fest but MV Augusta rider Leon Camier has switched to Red bull Honda so it will be interesting to see how he goes. Marco Melandri on the Ducati could be a dark horse too.

Anyways, Round one kicks off this weekend at the Philip Island track in the state of Victoria, Australia.
I'm heading round to a friends place later on and we're going to watch it with a few beers and get Pizzas delivered. :D

WorldSBK
that test day makes me think its going to be another easy year for kawasaki wat i h8 tho is the new rules, kawasakis now limited its max rpm due to being to good? and if they continue to win the max rpm limit of the zx10 will continue to drop until they loose, so stupid

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that test day makes me think its going to be another easy year for kawasaki wat i h8 tho is the new rules, kawasakis now limited its max rpm due to being to good? and if they continue to win the max rpm limit of the zx10 will continue to drop until they loose, so stupid
Yeah I dont agree with that either . If your winning consistently then you obviously have your $hit sorted as a rider & a team and don't deserve to be penalised for it.

Do you know if they are doing the reverse grid system in Race 2 again this year? Another bad move IMO!

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... Marco Melandri on the Ducati could be a dark horse too...
Heck I had that one right, he only went and did the double! Race one yesterday was a bit more clear cut for him but today he only beat reigning champion Jonathan Rea (Kawasaki) by two hundredths of a second.
Very exciting racing, good to see.
Unfortunately we now have to wait four weeks till the Thai round next month. Moto GP kicks off the wkd before though in Qatar on March 18th.

Phillip Island WorldSBK: Double win for Melandri after Aussie thriller - Bikesport News

·
Registered
764 Posts
Heck I had that one right, he only went and did the double! Race one yesterday was a bit more clear cut for him but today he only beat reigning champion Jonathan Rea (Kawasaki) by two hundredths of a second.
Very exciting racing, good to see.
Unfortunately we now have to wait four weeks till the Thai round next month. Moto GP kicks off the wkd before though in Qatar on March 18th.

Phillip Island WorldSBK: Double win for Melandri after Aussie thriller - Bikesport News
man wat a awesome last 3/4 laps, I think if the kawi had that 900rpm it was missing it would have pulled a little harder on that last straight and won, either way Melandri was a beast both days

·
Registered
121 Posts
Was interesting to read the comments after the races. Jonathon Rea seemed to be of the opinion that gearing was the Kawasaki's problem at the last corner. It will be interesting to see the next race in Thailand. I've been to Phillip Island a couple of times to watch the WSB races, and it always produces close races in all categories. Isn't always the best guide for the rest of the season. Some riders always seem to do well.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about that speed wobble Meandri's Ducati had going on! :surprise:
It must be something to do with his set up as Davies and Fores didnt have it with their Ducati's.
Wondering if he runs a really steep steering rake angle to get the bike to turn in quicker but at the expense of stability?
I saw his top speed for one of the races was 317 Kph, that's honking!

·
Registered
121 Posts
What about that speed wobble Meandri's Ducati had going on! :surprise:
It must be something to do with his set up as Davies and Fores didnt have it with their Ducati's.
Wondering if he runs a really steep steering rake angle to get the bike to turn in quicker but at the expense of stability?
I saw his top speed for one of the races was 317 Kph, that's honking!

Yep he's a brave boy. Ducati were saying that both team bikes have the same set up. Melandri is only a wee fellow and simply can't get the weight over the front end. Small man, big balls.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks liie the new rules that were supposed to even the playing field has really motivated Rea. :wink:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looks liie the new rules that were supposed to even the playing field has really motivated Rea. :wink:
I've met Mr Rea (& Mr Syles) briefly twice in pit walks. He's motivated all right. I think that KRT have adapted their bike to the new regs better than the other teams. Rather perversly I also think that the new bike suits JRs riding style.

·
Registered
29 Posts
we will be at Donington Park next weekend for the UK Round awesome track we only live 30 miles away. i will post some pictures, hopefully do the pit walk too.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The racing wasn't as tight last weekend at Imola. No disrespect to Johnny as he is the man for sure, but if no one can keep him in sight then it will become a predictable procession.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The racing wasn't as tight last weekend at Imola. No disrespect to Johnny as he is the man for sure, but if no one can keep him in sight then it will become a predictable procession.

I kind of agree, but it might reflect that the other manufacturers (bar Ducati of course) don't see the Superbike series as their main competition. I have been pretty disappointed with Honda's efforts for a few years, and Yamaha haven't made the progress that I thought they would. Certainly would be great to have the latest GSXR back, but again the AMA seems to be their preferred series.

Strange world motorcycle racing.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I kind of agree, but it might reflect that the other manufacturers (bar Ducati of course) don't see the Superbike series as their main competition. I have been pretty disappointed with Honda's efforts for a few years, and Yamaha haven't made the progress that I thought they would. Certainly would be great to have the latest GSXR back, but again the AMA seems to be their preferred series.

Strange world motorcycle racing.
Yeah I thought when Suzuki updated the GSXR1000 last year that they would be right in there, but no.

As for Honda, well it's not like they cant afford it surely. Why are they not interested I wonder They have a good bike to use as a base for sure.

Aprilia seem to have gone off the boil too after winning the manufacturers championship three years in a row 2012 -14.

It's really only Kawasaki and Ducati keeping the series going. Have to wonder what the future will bring. :huh:

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The flying Dutchman

The WSBK championship got a shake up last weekend at Donington (UK) with Dutch rider Michael Van Der Mark getting his Yamaha across the line first on both Saturday & Sunday.
Jonathan Rea had to settle for 2nd and 3rd placings for a change.
Good to see his Kawasaki team mate Tom Sykes back on the podium too.
Sykes and Michael VDM are now tied in the championship for third with Ducati rider Chaz Davies in 2nd and Johnny Rea out front of course flying the team green flag.

WorldSBK

·
Registered
121 Posts
It certainly was good to see a different winner. Marky VDM did the business. But I notice that it was still Kawasaki 2 and 3 in both races, and that Mr Rea has eked out his lead to 67 points in the championship.

It seems that the results may have been effected by the teams having to stick to a single set of gearbox ratios for the season. Apparently it was the Ducatis turn to suffer this weekend.

Brno will be interesting, but I'm picking the Ducati and Kawasaki will be hard to beat.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It certainly was good to see a different winner. Marky VDM did the business. But I notice that it was still Kawasaki 2 and 3 in both races, and that Mr Rea has eked out his lead to 67 points in the championship.

It seems that the results may have been effected by the teams having to stick to a single set of gearbox ratios for the season. Apparently it was the Ducatis turn to suffer this weekend.

Brno will be interesting, but I'm picking the Ducati and Kawasaki will be hard to beat.
Yeah as a Team Ducati supporter it was a pretty lame round. So far off the pace it wasn't funny: Davies 8th and 5th but even worse Melandri 22nd and 11th.
Hard to believe it was Melandri that took the double win back in round one at Philip Island. Such a promising start and now... :sad:

Hopefully Ducati gets their act together at Brno but can't help but feel that 67 points is too much to pull back for anyone now.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone going to Laguna Seca this wkd?
Makes for a better viewing time live here in NZ than European rounds at least.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts