Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to the forum and I just got my bike a week ago. last night I rode my bike to a few places and made 3 stops. The third time I got on the bike to head home I couldn't rev her past 6k she would just lose power and I ended up having to walk the bike home. Theres only 137 miles on her and its my first bike so Ihavent been riding her hard at all. Any ideas what could be the issue?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Unfortunately, there are many things that can cause this: bad spark plug, ECU, fuel/air mixture, low compression, knocking, etc.

Since you did not mention a CEL present, it will be extremely difficult to diagnose.

Luckily, you still have a warranty, so let the dealer fix it. Sorry for you to experience this.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Unfortunately, there are many things that can cause this: bad spark plug, ECU, fuel/air mixture, low compression, knocking, etc.

Since you did not mention a CEL present, it will be extremely difficult to diagnose.

Luckily, you still have a warranty, so let the dealer fix it. Sorry for you to experience this.
Ohh Oooooh - He done blowed the bike up, Manual says stay under 4K Rpm until you reach 600 miles...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Ohh Oooooh - He done blowed the bike up, Manual says stay under 4K Rpm until you reach 600 miles...
Well the dealer could find out if he did blow it, cause the bike has a "black box" recorder...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hey guys im new to the forum and I just got my bike a week ago. last night I rode my bike to a few places and made 3 stops. The third time I got on the bike to head home I couldn't rev her past 6k she would just lose power and I ended up having to walk the bike home. Theres only 137 miles on her and its my first bike so Ihavent been riding her hard at all. Any ideas what could be the issue?
Hi Super... welcome to the forums, I would stop riding the bike till you have it checked at your dealer. As Watcher905 said we would need more info and cell error codes if any to help, a great many things can cause this including bad fuel, a defective fuel pump, electronics and more.

Really sorry to hear your having issue this soon with your bike, hopefully it turns out to be a simple fix and no harm done...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Ohh the dreaded black box, It records everything. I'd hate to see what personal info it has on me and my riding habits.
Yeah, no doubt, the law could use that against you in court of law. Now, how to disable it?

Reactions: Foohy270

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright thanks guys for the quick responses. There are no cell codes or anything, but yeah Ill take the bike in Tuesday when my dealer opens. Hopefully its nothing major.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Alright thanks guys for the quick responses. There are no cell codes or anything, but yeah Ill take the bike in Tuesday when my dealer opens. Hopefully its nothing major.
Keep us posted on what they find the issue to be. Possibly some foreign object is blocking your air intake.

·
Registered
295 Posts
DONTthink he,s blew engine ,but it was a bit soon to run at 6000,
ive had mine on a lot highers revs than that,.My dealer said to me books says 4000 revs, but don't be frightened to open it up a bit.
And you know its a long run in period to a thousand mile
,the bigger bikes are not that long,

·
Registered
295 Posts
ive had mine on a lot highers revs than that,.My dealer said to me books says 4000 revs, but don't be frightened to open it up a bit.

I saw a article on Kawasaki ZXR 650 ninja, a lot of members could not get the bikes to rev past 6000,
don't know if its got anything to with 400

·
Registered
764 Posts
im really surprised no one has mentioned the fuel line..2 major possibilities that I have had happen to my own bikes, 1 pinched fuel line, 2 air leak. open air box see if its fine and remove fuel tank and check for pinched hoses, also you could have put contaminated fuel in the tank so while at it drain the tank, if you lived near me i would do it all for you in a couple of minutes since im removing my tank every other day lol. also try this let the bike run/idle for 2 minutes then when the bike is warm see if you can hold down the throttle to around 2k rpm for more than 10 seconds, if you can its a good sing but if after 3 seconds the bikes rpm starts to fall below 2k rpm quickly let go of the throttle and see if it stalls, if it does stall means you have a air leak somewhere as the bike would be running extremely rich. surprised the old geezers above me haven't thought of that lol also if you think you can handle it, check the spark plugs thats the best way of knowing if the bike is running lean or rich.

·
Registered
377 Posts
im really surprised no one has mentioned the fuel line..2 major possibilities that I have had happen to my own bikes, 1 pinched fuel line, 2 air leak. open air box see if its fine and remove fuel tank and check for pinched hoses, also you could have put contaminated fuel in the tank so while at it drain the tank, if you lived near me i would do it all for you in a couple of minutes since im removing my tank every other day lol. also try this let the bike run/idle for 2 minutes then when the bike is warm see if you can hold down the throttle to around 2k rpm for more than 10 seconds, if you can its a good sing but if after 3 seconds the bikes rpm starts to fall below 2k rpm quickly let go of the throttle and see if it stalls, if it does stall means you have a air leak somewhere as the bike would be running extremely rich. surprised the old geezers above me haven't thought of that lol also if you think you can handle it, check the spark plugs thats the best way of knowing if the bike is running lean or rich.
After our ordeal with the coolant return line I bet there are other lines not on good as well.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The bike uses a fuel rail and a molded high pressure fuel line that cant kink on its own, You can safely rule it out and look to the fuel pump as the culprit in a starved fuel situation, Anythings possible but a fuel line kink is just highly unlikely on this bike.

The bike was previously running fine on its first fuel fill-up, If he just filled his tank recently your right bad fuel, clogged fuel filter are an options as was already mentioned.

We know nothing about him or his abilities... He said its his first bike so theres a small chance he doesn't know his way around a bike just yet - and being brand spanking new with 137 miles, really his only option is to take it and have it checked out.

Emud your smart and have an aptitude for this stuff - for you taking off the fuel tank and cleaning it out is like pouring yourself a glass of milk, then drinking it, but removing the tank for someone thats new to bikes that we no nothing about and may have little or no aptitude for mechanics is like asking them to dig out the grand canyon with a shovel.

With out knowing more about him and his bike I can only recommend he take it to the shop.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yeh but whats the fun in owning a bike if you're not tearing it apart at least once a month haha anyway Just a thought, me and a friend where talking about his old Honda cbr 500 and he said he had a very similar issue that was caused by a loose coil causing 1 cylinder not to fire, kinda makes sense so thats another option, either way hope you tell us what the problem is once you find out so we can all keep a look out for similar issues :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hey stikflote..
I was just messing around having a bit of fun when I said that cause the manual states 4k RPM is all. Unless he was red-lining it the whole time I doubt that would be the issue.

·
Registered
656 Posts
im removing my tank every other day lol.
Wow really, Now you got me curious.

Yeh but whats the fun in owning a bike if you're not tearing it apart at least once a month haha
I like your thinking.. My bike is currently torn apart to get painted..! Worse then being torn apart so I cant ride it is I haven't a clue what color I want or whether I'm going with a 2K paint or Plasti Dip yet.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Reading that post it mentions bad fuel, thats some thing we don't get here in UK
I also noticed it was saying go to a store and get cheap petrol,.
Here in UK petrol is only sold from a petrol station, there might be some odd places
where a store might sell it up in the wilds of Scotland

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys so an update. I took the bike into my dealer, everything is covered under warranty. They had it for a day and called me this morning to tell me there was a defect in the system that controls my injectors. They ordered a new part and will giving me my bike back at the end of this week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The bike uses a fuel rail and a molded high pressure fuel line that cant kink on its own, You can safely rule it out and look to the fuel pump as the culprit in a starved fuel situation, Anythings possible but a fuel line kink is just highly unlikely on this bike.

The bike was previously running fine on its first fuel fill-up, If he just filled his tank recently your right bad fuel, clogged fuel filter are an options as was already mentioned.

We know nothing about him or his abilities... He said its his first bike so theres a small chance he doesn't know his way around a bike just yet - and being brand spanking new with 137 miles, really his only option is to take it and have it checked out.

Emud your smart and have an aptitude for this stuff - for you taking off the fuel tank and cleaning it out is like pouring yourself a glass of milk, then drinking it, but removing the tank for someone thats new to bikes that we no nothing about and may have little or no aptitude for mechanics is like asking them to dig out the grand canyon with a shovel.

With out knowing more about him and his bike I can only recommend he take it to the shop.
And yes I am new to bikes but not to cars. Ive worked on two of my own, one is my current profile picture, which is my wide body z4 that I did about 3 years ago and I now have a 450hp 2006 sti I built up. But I was getting bored of cars and needed something new so I got a bike and it was the right choice.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts