Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my bike for 2 months now and have put 2600 miles on it and for the first time today I noticed a significant wobble on deceleration 2nd thru 6th gear 55 mph down to 35 mph not true tank slapper but I’ve never had this happen before. And I don’t feel save riding it considering that I like to ride through the twisties. My tire pressure is spot on my preload is at 4 because I weigh 205 pounds and carry work items. I am going to call my local dealership and see if I can get it in. Has anyone else had this problem? This is my only mode of transportation and I am working 2 jobs I don’t get another day off in 2 weeks do you think I could get a loaner bike provided? I live in California btw.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Have you rueled out the road condition, is your chain loose, check your rear wheel alignment marks should be equal.

Check your steering play, hold front brakes not siting on the bike and rock it forwered and back a few times... Do the bars move while you were racking the bike.

Did this happen only a single time and was fine after. When you say wobble were the bars moving left and right uncontrollable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Road condition was not a factor I was able to repeat this over 20 times in a row. My chain is not loose but will need adjustment soon. I will check my rear wheel alignment marks in the morning as well as steering play. The wobble was not uncontrollable but I was able to notice it even when holding my handle bars. When I get home I am going to check all of this as well as take it for another ride without my work items and see if it still happens.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Road condition was not a factor I was able to repeat this over 20 times in a row. My chain is not loose but will need adjustment soon. I will check my rear wheel alignment marks in the morning as well as steering play. The wobble was not uncontrollable but I was able to notice it even when holding my handle bars. When I get home I am going to check all of this as well as take it for another ride without my work items and see if it still happens.
I recommend you fallow your own advice and have the bike looked at by the shop, Personally I would stop riding it.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Yeah shouldn't do that, this isn't an unstable bike by design.
Pretty sure I remember some one else with the same complaint a few months back tho?

This particular fault can be caused by the steering head bearings not being correctly tightened at the factory. The way to check this is to lift the front end off the ground using a front stand that lifts from under the steering stem or get a friend to pull the bike over on the side stand so the front end is off the ground. Then you grab the bottom of the forks and pull them from front to rear and see if you can detect any movement.
Better than that, take it to the dealer you bought if from and get them to do it.
Could also be an issue with the front wheel not running true.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I found the problem rear wheel was misaligned. I had 6 tick marks showing on the left swing arm and 5 on the right swing arm.

My wheel alignment lock nut was missing no clue where it went only time it was taken off was at my 600 mile service and I am currently at 2600 miles so I guess it fell off during that 2000 mile time frame. I am assuming that is what caused the problem.

I just bought a motion pro wheel alignment tool and motion pro chain slack tool. I am going to replace my front sprocket to a 13 tooth since I am down there and align my rear wheel.

I posted this after I had arrived at work and was considering getting a tow home which should have been $180 for 23 miles so I just rode home stopped frequently and rode slow with no real problems.

I am going to align my rear wheel and change that sprocket and I will give a update if that fixed it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hope it's just the rear wheel alignment. Do a search on the forum. There is an older thread about this. It may be the steering bearing.

It should be safe to ride the bike slowly to the shop or dealer if you need to. I wouldn't get in the highway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I did a rear wheel alignment, tightened my chain and still has a front end wobble. I am working two jobs and this is my only mode of transportation. I am going to take my bike to the dealer and have them check it and see what they say if they have to keep it that could be a big problem hopefully it is just the steering head bearing just needs to be tightened and can be done in a 2 hour window. I will give a update within the next week.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
So I did a rear wheel alignment, tightened my chain and still has a front end wobble. I am working two jobs and this is my only mode of transportation. I am going to take my bike to the dealer and have them check it and see what they say if they have to keep it that could be a big problem hopefully it is just the steering head bearing just needs to be tightened and can be done in a 2 hour window. I will give a update within the next week.
I'm not surprised as I couldn't see how bad rear wheel alignment would cause a wobble but didn't want to pour cold water on the possibility of it working.
Definitely sounds like a job for the dealer.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'm not surprised as I couldn't see how bad rear wheel alignment would cause a wobble but didn't want to pour cold water on the possibility of it working.
Definitely sounds like a job for the dealer.
It was me I mentioned the rear alignment cause I was thinking if his axle was not fully tight it could shift during deceleration causing the bike to shift some, he mention the take up nut was loose also when he checked.

I was just trying to quickly think of all possibilities that might help being this is all he has to get to work, I hate seeing people in a bind.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Sorry your having this dilemma man, Ive been there without a way to get to work - its like the worst thing that can happen to you. hope they can solve it ASAP my good man.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hands off the bars, mine will shimmy until 43 mph...where it smooths out, instantly. I don't pay much attention to it. My 300 doesn't do it, but the 400 steering geometry is more aggressive.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hands off the bars, mine will shimmy until 43 mph...where it smooths out, instantly. I don't pay much attention to it. My 300 doesn't do it, but the 400 steering geometry is more aggressive.
I remember having only a single shimmy with my hands off the bars coasting ever, interesting...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Keep your hands on the bars. If the shimmy at 55 mph is isolated and not happening all the time personally I wouldn't worry about it if it is controllable. If front end stability issues are occurring at 115 mph on the street then you need to slow your ass way down.

By the way, the Ninja 400 wheel alignment sliders are totally lame. The pivots move a whole scale bar back and fourth. Just when you set it right on the right side and tighten the nut the dang scale slider rotates with the nut a whole measurement. That is just a very bad design by Kawasaki and is grounds for a recall. Chime in anybody else.
The inability to accurately align the rear axle with the built in guides is a legit issue that can be dangerous.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I sure rear wheel alignment and a loose chain will not cause a wobble,
your front wheel should be balanced,have you lost any weights? steering head bearings loose or to tight will definitely
cause a wobble ,been there got the tea shirt

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yup, Kawi decided to go with ball steering bearings, again. It may be another upgrade to tapered bearings in the future. Such is budget bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update to my problem with a wobble during deceleration I took my bike into the shop early on Tuesday the 14th and called me late the next day and said they found that my steering head bearings where loose I told them to check that first and instead they took 2 days to figure that out what a waste of time today they are trying to get a hold of Kawasaki and get it covered under warranty already have to go to work in 1 hour and yet again I have to borrow a family members vehicle should have just fixed it myself if I knew it was going to take 4-5 days.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Keep your hands on the bars. If the shimmy at 55 mph is isolated and not happening all the time personally I wouldn't worry about it if it is controllable. If front end stability issues are occurring at 115 mph on the street then you need to slow your ass way down.

By the way, the Ninja 400 wheel alignment sliders are totally lame. The pivots move a whole scale bar back and fourth. Just when you set it right on the right side and tighten the nut the dang scale slider rotates with the nut a whole measurement. That is just a very bad design by Kawasaki and is grounds for a recall. Chime in anybody else.
The inability to accurately align the rear axle with the built in guides is a legit issue that can be dangerous.
Not sure what issue you are having. I was able to align mine easily. I use a scale ruler and measure it down to a millimeter and use a chain slack tool. I eventually got the driven swing arm sliders which are admittedly easier to use, but not by much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another update shop called me back and said they got Kawasaki to approve the warranty work and that this isn’t a “easy fix” and it will take another 1-2 days I call bullsh*t but whatever just ordered some more tools and the service Manuel for the ninja 400 and plan on fixing everything that isn’t terribly wrong by myself.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Another update shop called me back and said they got Kawasaki to approve the warranty work and that this isn’t a “easy fix” and it will take another 1-2 days I call bullsh*t but whatever just ordered some more tools and the service Manuel for the ninja 400 and plan on fixing everything that isn’t terribly wrong by myself.
Thank you for the update... Glade to hear your taking light bike repairs into your own hands... Hopefully you'll find the DIY section of the forum helpful when your ready.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts