Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I've noticed that my 400 has a slight handlebar wobble aka "tank slap" from 55 to 35 MPH. I brought it to my Kawi dealer and they could not fix it. They rotated the tire, rebalanced, adjusted rear preload and tire pressure but although it's better it's still present. Anyone have the same problem? Once I get back to Texas today from Tokyo the dealer is going to fly out a Kawi tech and record and possibly fix the problem.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Have you changed anything from stock?

Where are you located? Odd to fly in a tech.

No such issues with my bike.

·
Registered
423 Posts
@angeldemon821 I haven't had any issues but I only have about 100 miles on the bike so far. I definitely would not be riding your bike since it sounds very unsafe. Let us know what the tech determines. Who knows maybe you can get an exchange for a new bike if they can't diagnose/resolve the issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
is it a small amplitude waggle? Or is a "violent" large amplitude movement of the bars? I assume you're observing this when you take your hands off the bars? If it's small amplitude, does it stop immediately if you lightly rest a finger or two on a grip? If so, this is nothing unusual.

Not to say it can't be head-bearings or wheel alignment or a bad tire, but you haven't provided any useful information.
1. rider weight
2. sag front and rear
3. tire pressure front and rear
4. all roads or just one

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so mister know-it-all "PATTONME"... I've owned (not "ridden") over 26 motorcycles throughout 8 years. I have never had ANY bike have an episode of wobble aka "tank slap" on a straight road on decel. I've checked the tire pressure, adjusted the rear shock preload (max setting) because i am 200 lbs. No bike, especially new should have this issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright guys.... I understand some of the Ninja 300s had bad head bearings from the factory, that doesn't make it ok. It is a slight wobble and yes, if I have my hands on it i can feel it but its not a strong vibration. I called Texas Motorsports and they informed me that it is "normal" and other bikes in their inventory do the same thing. I am calling BULLSH^T on this. Once I get back I will ride another Ninja 400 to confirm. If I would have noticed it on my test ride I would have picked up another bike...probably an FZ-07......FML!

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
@angeldemon821 Did the shop check the steering head tightness and bearings? If the steering head isn't properly torqued, you can get head shake on acceleration and deceleration in addition to instability at speed. Just a thought.
^^ This bit. It needs to be eliminated first.
To be read in a completely non know-it-all way. :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ This bit. It needs to be eliminated first.
To be read in a completely non know-it-all way. :wink:
Kiwi I mentioned this to them several times with no success. They stated that the torquing was correct and that they would have noticed if this was it. I believe they didn't want to waste time on a warranty issue. Their tech stated that the bikes they have on the showroom don't wobble, but another bike that was there for service did have the same wobble. I have no way to confirm or deny this but I don't believe the technician. I will probably end up going to another Kawasaki dealer in Georgetown or Austin TX to see if they can help me. I am also calling Kawasaki Technical Support to file a complaint. Fingers crossed. :sad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts