Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went down in a wet turn today on an 180+ degree type of exit. I let myself get too close to the curb and instantly lost traction in a slight lean. The back went out and I went down pretty softly, but bouncing off my head.

I think my boots saved me from a broken foot or worse (I'm so glad my MSF instructor recommended steel reinforced boots. I think I can now vouch for the work/casual/weekend passable TCX Street Ace boots: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-street-ace-wp-shoes).

My gloves saved the palm of my hand. But they didn't cover my wrists, so my only scratch is some road rash there. I'm otherwise okay, although I feel like something is going to hurt later... I did hit my shoulder pretty hard after my head broke the fall. :plain:

I think the bike is fine mechanically. It might be mental, but I now feel like the bike gives out on ANY right-handed turn and it freaks me out. Feel totally comfy doing it on the left side. I just hit 600 miles and was headed to the dealer this Saturday for the initial maintenance check. So we'll see if it's just all in my head.

My front brake lever took a hit, and is super lose and doesn't engage until about 70% pulled in.

Something came off of my exhaust too. Anyone know what this is? https://i.imgur.com/32uJLo8.jpg

Oh yeah, my rear brake lever is bent. :sad::crying::crying::crying::crying:

A nice bicyclist stopped to check on me, and he said he's been there a couple of times on one or two of the 13 motorbikes he's owned. He said I might not want to have insurance fix this, but didn't really elaborate. Does anyone know what the cons of having insurance kick-in for this are?

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow man so sorry to hear this, your damage look identical to mine apart from your rearset. Mine broke right off. I'm happy to hear you were not hurt that's the most important part.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Glad you are OK and bike isn't too bad either

it happens..

back in 1993, I crashed and totaled my first street bike in 25 days (Honda CBR 600 F2).. but I learned from that and didn't have another crash on street ever and only 2 crashes during races in 25+ yrs

Your hesitation on right side will go away

Reactions: TaiMc

·
Registered
244 Posts
Corners, sorry about the loss of traction and the fall, but glad you are not hurt severely.
Depending on your age, the insurance company, and the way the actuary (person who works for insurance company and determines insurance rates) looks at the statistics of wrecked bikes in your area/zone, your rates could change some or drastically. *Insurance companies are in business to make money.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow man so sorry to hear this, your damage look identical to mine apart from your rearset. Mine broke right off. I'm happy to hear you were not hurt that's the most important part.
Oh no! You too? I'm sorry man... I'll have to find your thread.

@desmotesta Thank you for the vote of confidence. It's sorely lacking right now!
@rde09 I was hoping to save money with this purchase, so I'll see what the mechanic says and keep yours and the nice bystander's advice squarely in my decision making. Thank you for the feedback.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A nice bicyclist stopped to check on my, and he said he's been there a couple of times on one or two of the 13 bikes he's owned. He said I might not want to have insurance fix this, but didn't really elaborate. Does anyone know what the cons of having insurance kick-in for this are?
I dont want to alarm you but I see enough damage there to total the bike. (may be)

if the repair costs are more than 75% of street value of bike, the insurance company is well within their rights to total the bike.

you from fork,, rear axle nut (and may be swing arm), all side fairings, exhaust system, levers and pedal are all damaged. Bike is $5499 new (insurance companies dont care how many dealers fees or taxes you said--unless you purchased "GAP" insurance, they will go by MSRP), so starting form $5499 the 75% value, even if they use new bike price, will be $4125.

If the adjuster uses Kawasaki retail price for all of the above items, I am concerned that Parts + labor MAY end up being $4000-ish.

IF they total the bike( AND you own the bike without any loans), you will be given a choice to hand over the bike and they will write you a check for $5200-$5400 OR in MOST cases you also have the right to let them declare the bike a total loss, keep the bike as is and take a smaller check or somewhere between $3000-$3500 - Sounds like a great deal, right? just remember that if you choose to keep the bike as is and let them declare the bike a total loss, you will not be able to get full coverage on the bike in most states

(above estimates of damage and market value are mere guesses, I dont have KBB or parts prices in front of me)

keep us posted and feel free to ask any questions you may have, I have had 2-3 claims with insurance companies, including a total loss and a theft

Reactions: corners

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident and glad you were not hurt badly. If you end up with any major pain or something does not feel right, definitely go to the doctor/hospital to get checked out. I agree it's sad but the bike can be fixed and it's more important that you were able to walk away without any serious injury to yourself.

You should try to get a quote on the parts and repairs required to get a cost estimate. Depending on how costly it is, you may want to pay for it yourself but it really depends on many insurance factors that red09 commented on. If you plan to file a claim with your insurance, keep in mind they may increase your insurance premium drastically. Hope it's not a total loss...

·
Registered
656 Posts
I went down in a wet turn today on an 180+ degree type of exit. I let myself get too close to the curb and instantly lost traction in a slight lean. The back went out and I went down pretty softly, but bouncing off my head.

I think my boots saved me from a broke foot or worse. My gloves saved the palm of my hand. But they didn't cover my wrists, so my only scratch is some road rash there. I'm otherwise okay, although I feel like something is going to hurt later... I did hit my shoulder pretty hard after my head broke the fall. :plain:

I think the bike is fine mechanically. It might be mental, but I now feel like the bike gives out on ANY right-handed turn and it freaks me out. Feel totally comfy doing it on the left side. I just hit 600 miles and was headed to the dealer this Saturday for the initial maintenance check. So we'll see if it's just all in my head.

My front brake lever took a hit, and is super lose and doesn't engage until about 70% pulled in.

Something came off of my exhaust too. Anyone know what this is? https://i.imgur.com/32uJLo8.jpg

Oh yeah, my rear brake lever is bent. :sad::crying::crying::crying::crying:

A nice bicyclist stopped to check on my, and he said he's been there a couple of times on one or two of the 13 bikes he's owned. He said I might not want to have insurance fix this, but didn't really elaborate. Does anyone know what the cons of having insurance kick-in for this are?
That clamp ring goes here right on your exhaust.

Man glad your ok... Seriously. you can fix your bike - anything you walk away from is learning experience. Lord knows I've laid down my share of bikes in corners too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
@MrMike, Interesting, I can't really see what it's function is right now since it doesn't seem to be clamping down at the end of the pipe.

@aWanderlustSeoul Appreciate the sensible advice. I stripped down in the mirror to make sure I wasn't running on some pain killing brain chemistry. Surprisingly unscathed, except for that booboo in the pic. I did a heat check and I'm all good except for that shoulder; it's warmer than the rest of me. I have an email draft ready to send to work in case I wake up in actual pain. Old enough to know not to let an injury sit. Hopefully some reflection and sleep will get my body into healing mode and this inflammation(?) will have served its purpose.

@desmotesta Thanks for the insight. It really does sound like I should hope the repairs are reasonable enough for me to pay for them myself and avoid having a potentially exploitative premium auto-drafting out of my account each month.

Can you please tell me if the insurance company (Progressive) needs to know about my accident on the day of the accident, or am I allowed to wait until Saturday when I will be able to speak with the mechanics at the dealer?

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
... I can't really see what it's function is right now since it doesn't seem to be clamping down at the end of the pipe.
It clamps the exhaust shield to the pipe. Yes, the one that everyone complains the heel of their boot hits. But looking at your photo it looks like you have broken your clamp. No bother, any hardware store will have one, they're cheap. We call them hose clamps here in NZ.

There is a little tag on the front of the exhaust shield (on the underneath side) that the hose clamp goes over.
See photo below.

P1000254.JPG

All the best with your recovery and claim.

·
Registered
764 Posts
you will always be a better rider after a crash I believe, when I got my first bike a few years ago I dropped it doing a tight U turn about 1 month into riding, what caused me to drop it was hesitation. But after that I felt reborn again haha but seriously after that I had no fear at all of dropping it and was doing U-turns tighter than a asians .... you know what Im saying, it might seem like a negative but in the end it will help you more than you might think :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
oof, that's a rough scrape man but good to know you came out ok. Parts can be swapped, bikes can be bought, but your skin is much harder to fix!

Reactions: TaiMc and corners

·
Registered
131 Posts
Reactions: TaiMc and corners

·
Registered
30 Posts
@desmotesta Thanks for the insight. It really does sound like I should hope the repairs are reasonable enough for me to pay for them myself and avoid having a potentially exploitative premium auto-drafting out of my account each month.

Can you please tell me if the insurance company (Progressive) needs to know about my accident on the day of the accident, or am I allowed to wait until Saturday when I will be able to speak with the mechanics at the dealer?
You are well within your rights to NOT call progressive or report this to them of you wish to fix this yourself.

I know by experience that the insurance adjuster will insist (demand) on adding any part to estimate that even has a small scratch on it, IF the bike is co-owned by the bank
. So using that logic, if I was your adjuster, I could easily make an estimate high enough to go over $4000.

That said, if you were to fix your bike yourself, you wouldn't need to fix the axle nut, the swing arm, the fork or the fork ring/clip, those are all high dollar items They seem to have superficial scratches and dont need to be addressed at this point.
Technically, if you have a loan on the bike, your bank owns it with you and they have a fiduciary interest in your bike being in excellent condition, as it is their collateral.

But this all legal mumbo jumbo, as long as you fix your bike to your satisfaction and do not report it to progressive, you are fine.

Hope I didn't confuse you further.

I say swap out the fairings as they become available on Ebay (pre-owned). No rush to fix the bike. I know SO many people who are taking these bikes straight to racing, there will be LOTS of stock body work for sale, just be patient and look for it over time. Dont pay top dollar for new fairings and parts.

Good luck

Reactions: Topaz and corners

·
Registered
46 Posts
mad! We are quickly realizing that parts are really, really, really, expensive! I am thinking that if you wanted to build this moto via the parts department it would cost around $100,000 US....

·
Registered
423 Posts
Here is a list of parts and the cost in Canadian dollars to help you asses the damage
If you have a good relationship with your local dealer, you should check with them and get an estimate. Maybe they will cut you a much better deal.

I've only purchased a few OEM parts/accessories so far from the local dealer I purchased my bike. One of the managers provides me a 20% discount on parts. They will also typically match the lowest price found from online sellers. The only downside is that sales tax is not included so it could end up being a bit more than buying online (unless shipping is not free). Plus everyone at the dealer is nice and helpful and it's good to support local/small business.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you have a good relationship with your local dealer, you should check with them and get an estimate. Maybe they will cut you a much better deal.

I've only purchased a few OEM parts/accessories so far from the local dealer I purchased my bike. One of the managers provides me a 20% discount on parts. They will also typically match the lowest price found from online sellers. The only downside is that sales tax is not included so it could end up being a bit more than buying online (unless shipping is not free). Plus everyone at the dealer is nice and helpful and it's good to support local/small business.

That screenshot and quote came from the dealer. Please note, I did not order the exhaust or exhaust shield that saved me 800 bucks right there...... well sort of:smile: i ordered an M4 full exhaust to replace mine

·
Registered
423 Posts
That screenshot and quote came from the dealer. Please note, I did not order the exhaust or exhaust shield that saved me 800 bucks right there...... well sort of:smile: i ordered an M4 full exhaust to replace mine
I can't believe the stock exhaust is that much. Definitely a good reason to go for the aftermarket full exhaust. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I just came back from the dealer and yes, the stock exhaust would have been over $800. The good news is that the repairs are reasonably priced to get it mostly back into looking good. I will not be replacing the exhaust!

They didn't have the brake levers, which was the main thing they were worried about safety-wise. Everything else they felt was in safe, rideable condition. I'll get those replaced with the hose clamp (Kawasaki calls it a grommet) when they come in, and will think about getting the plastics done in the meantime.

Oh yeah, the mirror would be $88, but the damage is hardly noticeable so passing on that too.

Thanks for all of your support and advice. VERY glad I didn't call the insurance company, and I'm feeling a lot better about the upcoming season!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts