Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
considering buying a 400 for racing, and trying to save $$ on the build, I know there are some compatibility threads already in existence, but anyone know for sure if the 300 plastics (I have Catalyst and Hotbodies) will fit the 400? I think I'm SOL for suspension, rearsets, exhaust etc but that would help if anyone has 411.

TiA,
Joel

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha, I think SDM's thread said they do NOT fit, which is a bummer. I have a fully race-prepped 300 and it will cost about $4k to get the new 400 to the same level. Wah.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
considering buying a 400 for racing, and trying to save $$ on the build, I know there are some compatibility threads already in existence, but anyone know for sure if the 300 plastics (I have Catalyst and Hotbodies) will fit the 400? I think I'm SOL for suspension, rearsets, exhaust etc but that would help if anyone has 411.
You have to remember that this is a whole new model with a different style of frame (trellis) so it's highly unlikely that any bodywork will cross over.

someone smarter and less lazier than me should come up with a compatibility list/thread. :)
There is: https://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/125-parts-accessories/1049-ninja-300-parts-compatibility.html
Suggest using serch box function.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Thanks, I did search and read that thread, it had some inconsistencies, and was older. SDM's thread had more info, but I also saw a thread where someone used 250 fairings on a 400, so thought it was worth asking again.
Feel free to update that thread once you have come to the end of your search otherwise, like you said, the info becomes old and uncorrected if it was wrong in the first place. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
They do fit. Cameron Jones and Teagg Hobbs had 300 bodywork on their 400s for the first couple of rounds of MotoAmerica because there wasn't really any 400 bodywork available early this year. I doubt all brands do, but the Armor Bodies were confirmed to work with a bit of effort put into it. In other words, they're not a direct bolt-on using the same exact holes and mounting points, but they apparently be made to fit.

Also, FWIW I know a guy who's using SV650 bodywork on his 400. I think I may try RSV4 bodywork on mine if I can get my friend to sell me his for cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I raced my 400 with Hotbodies bodywork off of my 300. Major requirement is to build some simple bracket/stays for the rear mounts. I used 1"x1/8" aluminum bar, bent in a vise; two pieces each side. The uppers had been lowsided on both sides, which probably helped with the fitment ;-) - I mounted them and then repaired the fiberglass in place. Very solid mount, but there is some interference with my legs - not awful but it is there. I am 6'1".

I now have Armour Bodies; fitment is prepared but they need to get painted - this winter's fun. Bike is too much fun to limit to the track, so it has been put back to street trim until next spring!

Reactions: b0Xcrash

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Forgot about this thread. At Daytona I ran 300 bodywork, borrowed from a friend. They were Hotbodies. I now have a different view on this, so I guess it just depends on what someone means when they ask "Do they fit?"

Is it POSSIBLE to have 300 race bodywork on a 400? Yes...with enough zip ties, a lot of things are possible lol

Does it actually fit, as in will they mount on? No. I didn't have a single screw that connected the bodywork to any part of the frame. Had a couple of screws that held the screen onto the front fairing, and Dzus fasteners that connected the belly pan to the front fairing, but basically the whole set was zip-tied to the frame. That was the only way to do it without making any sort of custom brackets. I had I had about 6-7 zip-ties holding the whole thing on. I left my rear stock, so not sure how the tail fits.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Forgot about this thread. At Daytona I ran 300 bodywork, borrowed from a friend. They were Hotbodies. I now have a different view on this, so I guess it just depends on what someone means when they ask "Do they fit?"

Is it POSSIBLE to have 300 race bodywork on a 400? Yes...with enough zip ties, a lot of things are possible lol
Lol right, so true.....way more work than its worth it sounds like, unless you just really, really want to save $600-800 if you already have a set of 300 bodywork that you cannot sell for a couple hundred.

I run a 05 Yamaha R6 nose on a 08 SV 650, with only using two zip ties, the rest is attached to hard parts with screws. ( I use the Yamaha R6 fairing stay, with adjustments made to mount up)
I had two R6's so I had plenty of spares laying around, plus a full set of track bodywork

Edit: Correction, just checked STG, $350 for the Hotbodies in primer gray!!! Ok yeah, forget this thread and just buy a set of that instead :)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Dang though, that shipping?!!? 2 day or express $400+.......anything but ground...............no free shipping on the bodywork sale...

Of course. Have you ever tried to ship a set of bodywork? It's expensive! lol...they can do it lower cuz I'm sure they get better rates. I've used the same Hotbodies box to ship a set of fairings to someone once and I think it was closer to $100.

What's funny is MotoXP Ricambi only charges you $65 for shipping...from freakin Italy!! lol I thought about the Hotbodies, but for about $100 more only I can get a set from MotoXP Ricambi which is nicer and better quality. That's what I have on my R3 and I've been pretty happy with it. Crashed pretty well too...I decided to find that out as soon as I had them painted...like literally in the first race I did with the new paint job :eek:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those fairings look pretty nice, might have to try a set next time, getting the CRC stuff fixed and painted already. Looks like about a 6-wk lead time for delivery to US. . .

·
Registered
86 Posts
Of course. Have you ever tried to ship a set of bodywork? It's expensive! lol...they can do it lower cuz I'm sure they get better rates. I've used the same Hotbodies box to ship a set of fairings to someone once and I think it was closer to $100.

What's funny is MotoXP Ricambi only charges you $65 for shipping...from freakin Italy!! lol I thought about the Hotbodies, but for about $100 more only I can get a set from MotoXP Ricambi which is nicer and better quality. That's what I have on my R3 and I've been pretty happy with it. Crashed pretty well too...I decided to find that out as soon as I had them painted...like literally in the first race I did with the new paint job :eek:
I shipped some gsxr race bodywork via greyhound bus once...to the nearest station to some guy's house, I think it cost $30 and took 4 days cross country...tracking was decent too!

Does anyone know if it's possible to throw on a belly pan, maybe hotbodies, and have it line up with the oem bodywork?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I shipped some gsxr race bodywork via greyhound bus once...to the nearest station to some guy's house, I think it cost $30 and took 4 days cross country...tracking was decent too!

Does anyone know if it's possible to throw on a belly pan, maybe hotbodies, and have it line up with the oem bodywork?

Yes. I believe that's what Cameron Jones and Ashton Yates did on their MotoAmerica bikes for the first couple of rounds before they got actual race bodywork. Cam used a belly pan from a ninja 300 (not sure on the brand) and made it work. It was perfect, but with a couple of bolts and a couple of zip-ties you can make it work. That's what I was planning on doing just to pass CCS tech inspection, however my bike was also missing the whole front section too so I just borrowed a whole set from someone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts