Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 close ones last 2 days and another coupla weeks ago. Riding all mountain roads and national forests guess I'm more likely to encounter this. I'm aware of that and am always scanning sides of the road but they always come outa nowhere when ya never expect it. When ya see them on the side they usually stay put. Today a wild Turkey did a Michael Jackson spin at the very last second before he almost impacted my right foot/peg. Yesterday an adult doe decided to do a left to right crossing angled in my direction. Emergency braking and scared the crap outa me. Before that, coupla weeks ago a bear cub bout 30 pounds crossed the road well in front of me. I saw it, to myself said cool! His brother came outa the brush behind him right in my path. Was running maybe 45 mph got it down to bout 5 when it crossed my path probably 10 feet from me. Thought I was gonna have to pull over for a few mins.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Glad that you're safe. Yeah, it's not just cagers trying to kill us, it's also Mother Nature! :)

Once upon a time I was riding a rural highway in the Dakotas where the farmer hadn't yet hayed the ditch. Two birds suddenly spooked ahead and to my right, and that gave me the clue that something was likely coming through the tall grass so I should slow down. It was a deer.

·
Registered
268 Posts
There are so many deer around here that I quit riding before dusk when they start to move. Even then I have encounters with them on a regular basis. Had a Kamikazi woodpecker hit my helmet the other day. That sucker came at me like a guided missile.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Living in rural Australia, slowing down/moving out of the way of any wildlife is engrained into me as a rider.
As they say, everything in Australia tries to kill you, which is especially the case for kangaroos.
Worst I've had was a 6ft-odd Roo jump out into the middle of my lane at night. pulled up with about a metre spare before he hopped off.

You've always got to be on the lookout for that stuff, animals are unpredictable

·
Registered
268 Posts
As they say, everything in Australia tries to kill you, which is especially the case for kangaroos.
Worst I've had was a 6ft-odd Roo jump out into the middle of my lane at night. pulled up with about a metre spare before he hopped off.
Are roo's stupid like deer when it comes to traffic ? Deer seldom travel alone so when one crosses the road ahead you better slow down as there are bound to be more coming.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Living in rural Australia, slowing down/moving out of the way of any wildlife is engrained into me as a rider.

You've always got to be on the lookout for that stuff, animals are unpredictable
Yeah I hit a roo once but it was kinda my own fault for travelling at dusk. Luckily I was on a side road going slowly and on a big solid Kwaka GPz 900 so, although I was all over the place, I didnt actually fall off. Did some reasonable fairing damage though.

@Jackpine Yes, roos are stupid. 😆

·
Registered
465 Posts
A couple of months ago I was driving up to the store a few miles from my house when a big ass deer darted out of the woods on my left, ran across the road at full speed and right into the parking lot of the shopping center on my right.

There are tall bushes blocking the shopping center parking lot view and I figured there was only one outcome, the deer was going to get spooked by all the cars and people and make a U-Turn and come back across the street at full speed.

So I stopped in the middle of the road, got out of my car and slowed everyone down including a couple of motorcycles. Everyone was like what the F is this guy doing, and then this big ass deer came charging across the road like a bat out of ****.

Everyone went home safe including the deer.

·
Read Only
229 Posts
Tracy, I relate. Last week, an adult black bear ran in front of me on Foothills Parkway close enough that I had to brake HARD. He seemed as spooked as I. At least I know my brakes work well. About three weeks ago, a bunch of turkeys ran across the road in front of me on 6 Mile Road. And...several years ago, I missed hitting a doe by inches near Deals Gap. Stay aware!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Saturday the same day the deer crossed my path, I came around a curve and a farmer was laying 2x12 boards across the road to move a piece of equipment from his pasture to his barn. Holy crap! A County hwy 45 mph speed limit. He just smiled n waved as I went by

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad that you're safe. Yeah, it's not just cagers trying to kill us, it's also Mother Nature! :)

Once upon a time I was riding a rural highway in the Dakotas where the farmer hadn't yet hayed the ditch. Two birds suddenly spooked ahead and to my right, and that gave me the clue that something was likely coming through the tall grass so I should slow down. It was a deer.
Same thing happened to me only it was a deer in the middle of the day in July! Still not sure how I missed him! Had to pull over and compose a second

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TWO OH CRAPS!! in bout 3 miles this afternoon. Making an afternoon run across a coupla mountains after work. At about 8 grand in 3rd gear (nice curve) a groundhog was crossing the road. One of those off the throttle, cover brakes, and change my line midway in the turn. Woulda been like hitting a big ass greasy bump at a really bad time. Then a few minuets later, a 4th gear turn, 2 wild turkeys in the road. I headed home.
🐉

·
Registered
268 Posts
Turkeys don't worry me too much.. unless they are on both sides of the road. In that case ya never know which way they are going to decide to go and stragglers in the group will always at the last minute decide to join the others by darting out in front of you.
TWO OH CRAPS!! in bout 3 miles this afternoon. Making an afternoon run across a coupla mountains after work. At about 8 grand in 3rd gear (nice curve) a groundhog was crossing the road. One of those off the throttle, cover brakes, and change my line midway in the turn. Woulda been like hitting a big ass greasy bump at a really bad time. Then a few minuets later, a 4th gear turn, 2 wild turkeys in the road. I headed home.
Dontcha just hate those kinda encounters. Coming out of the apex on a blind corner the other day had 6 Turkeys in my lane. Fortunately, they moved to the inside and I had room to get around without any drastic measures.

Back in the day on the RD350 had a chicken fly into the spokes of the front wheel. Didn't feel a thing but man did the feathers fly. LOL

·
Read Only
229 Posts
🐉
Watch out! Critters are trying to get us... o_O

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Old thread i know
Rounding a mountain curve yesterday, oncoming lane car dead stop. My lane car dead stop. I brought everything down to 1st gear, prepared to stop then looked to the righthand side of the road.. yeah, a bear bigger than me about 6 to 8 feet away. The stopped cars were staggered so i quickly accelerated between and away. Really rattled my cage. I was close enough to see he had really big teeth. See them around here but usually from a comfortable distance. 🐻

·
Registered
785 Posts
The closest call I ever had was a doe frozen in the headlight of my Monster. When it decided to move and I was full on the brake, my front wheel just kissed her ass.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The closest call I ever had was a doe frozen in the headlight of my Monster. When it decided to move and I was full on the brake, my front wheel just kissed her ass.
I bet that skeered the sh!t outa ya

1 - 20 of 28 Posts