Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
In my country a Little roe-deer can be deadly (1 time on 7 )in a blind twist ,where You cannot see.While I am not afraid of bigger but domesticated cows,horses

Registered
Seriously. Really seriously. In an emergency situation, when rigor mortise sets in, who鈥檚 actually tried to jump off a bike at speed? Lol. :)

Director of Moderation
Seriously. Really seriously. In an emergency situation, when rigor mortise sets in, who鈥檚 actually tried to jump off a bike at speed? Lol. :)
Maverick Vinales sort of did in Austria when he lost brakes going into T1 lol....not a real "jump" since he was going about 140 mph at that point, but a more graceful "I'm getting off this thing" move lol

Registered
2019 Ninja 400 ABS, Pearl Storm Gray
I'm curious what the "right" answer was supposed to be?

This is such an "it depends" question (like what kind of animal??? at what speed???), but if I had to pick something for a general answer, it would be "horn and brake".

The horn has a chance of moving a frozen deer... The brake has a chance of reducing the speed of impact.

(I've actually had to "yell and brake" on a mountain bike once, at night!)

-- Rich

Registered

This is such an "it depends" question (like what kind of animal??? at what speed???), but if I had to pick something for a general answer, it would be "horn and brake".

The horn has a chance of moving a frozen deer... The brake has a chance of reducing the speed of impact.

(I've actually had to "yell and brake" on a mountain bike once!)

-- Rich
I just went thru something similar and the answer for me was to brake hard and avoid.

In my case it was an emergency vehicle backing up into a driveway on a blind curve.

I've never jumped off or layed a bike down.

Registered
Anyone who鈥檚 ridden knows that when things go bad, most of the time you鈥檙e just along for the ride.

There was that time when Colin Edwards bike caught fire and he bailed. But that was more a roll off the side than a jump. :)

Registered
In reality, brakes. Reduce speed of impact. In my mind jump straight up, your momentum will carry you over the animal doing a forward somersault and landing on your feet. Ha
ZZ
Agree. All you can do is try to shed as much speed as possible before impact. And instinctively we are programmed to grab the brakes. Hopefully the front. :)

Registered
At least 3 times for me the horn has helped me avoid the impact altogether -- the deer stops and stares when he sees my lights, and finally decided to move when I hit the horn... When I'm driving in deer country at dusk, I'm always reminding myself "don't forget the horn", because unlike the brakes, that one does not come instinctively... I'm usually already braking when I remember the horn...

Director of Moderation

(I've actually had to "yell and brake" on a mountain bike once, at night!)

-- Rich
I was thinking the same thing. Very dependent on the situation, so kind of a dumb question. Besides the questions you mentioned, also how far away is the animal when it jumps in front? If it's a deer crossing the street about 200 feet in front I would roll off and honk the horn. If it's 50 feet away, I would probably try to brake as hard as I can or swerve. If it's a big turtle in the middle of the road, I would just swerve. Don't think the horn will do anything. But I suppose you can be like Mario and jump off the bike right on top of it and see if that takes care of it 馃ぃ

Registered
Wow, I would not have guessed that -- I've never heard of swerving as an accident avoiding maneuver (again, back to my first question, "at what speed?")...

Here's a Canadian post (probably written for cars?): What should you do if you see an animal on the road? - The Globe and Mail

For animals smaller than an adult deer or moose, experts say to slow down or stop in a straight line -- but only if there's not a vehicle close behind you.​
"If no one is behind you on the road, you slow down and go around the animal carefully if you can 鈥 but the dangerous times are when you're surrounded by other traffic," says says Kristine D'Arbelles, spokesperson for the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA). "It goes without saying that you should never ever ever swerve 鈥 the vehicle can go out of control."​

Lucky I already have my license, I guess! :)

Registered
It must have been written for cars. Because they teach swerving as an emergency maneuver for motorcycles but they never teach it for cars. At least, it is not part of the regular curriculum (maybe for advanced classes, like those given to the police).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts