Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
While I'm not looking to change bikes, I've noticed that there's a dirt bike school nearby. They have bikes they can supply for the course. It might be fun to learn a new skill this summer.

But my OEM knees are out of warrantee. So this is unlikely to become a regular new thing for me. Maybe if I replaced them with sturdier aftermarket units? :smile_big:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am approaching this from a different angle. Right now the F4 SPR is on the chopping block and will be replaced by a lighter smaller bike along the lines of the N400/Z400. The KTM 390 is lighter by about 30 lbs but the cost of upkeep along with reliability track record are a big minus. I looked at the MT07 but its punching at 403 lbs...

I like the mt07 but I have a feeling its going to get a refresh soon, its about time. I am sure it will get new features like led headlight, which should really bring into line with the rest of the Yamaha range. I bought the Z400 and have no regrets, the suspension and brakes are not as sharp as a superbike but the bike is light and nimble and quick with the right mods. These bikes are also so easy to work on, Kawasaki really was thoughtful with the design and serviceability.

·
Registered
211 Posts
With just selling/buying a new house at the end of this past summer. My bike purchase is put on hold for a year. My current plan is to either trade in or private sell my N400. Then get something which currently I'm looking at/liking the 2020 N650 changes they've made to those, but we'll see I have another year before I'll really be looking into it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been thinking about my 2nd bike more and I feel like it's more likely I'm gonna end up going with a Vulcan S lol. Obviously still keeping the N400 tho.

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
Picked up a friend today after he dropped his HD off to get some work. I spent some time in the dealership. The sales guy was not impressed with me when I was asking about any mods to get the so called rear sets moved back. It was a funny feeling to have my feet stuck out in front of me. Lots of other funny things about these bikes, 1900cc and I could not get it to wheelie..I think I will stay with my N400.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm looking at picking up a 675R or FZ-07R. Sell my track '06 GSX-R 750. Keeping the track N4. Looking forward to getting some solid track time on that in 2020.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have come to the conclusion form riding the ninja and perhaps ageing a bit that bikes with 200hp such as the ducatis and R1 etc are great, if you intend to race. For street riders and commuters these bikes are just plain silly.

I love the 400 it has totally surprised me with how fun it is to ride. I am still shocked with how well most of the stock components work, most notably the suspension and tyres. I am now praying that they bring the zx25r into Australia. I can immediately see how much potential for fun a bike like this represents. If it doesn't I will go all out and drop a whole bunch of money into the 400 to make it a proper little banger.

I have also being looking at second hand bikes. I started looking at the old small cc racing bikes but in Australia they are rare as hens teeth and cost as much as some new bikes. The aprilla two stokes are the same, extremely hard to find and if in good condition go for near $20,000. I have also been on the lookout for a model I used to own the BMW f650gs with the rotax thumper. I have always regretted selling that bike, it was a fantastic little adventure tourer with a great engine. The dakar model also had a 21 inch front and you could buy racing fairings from tourtech that made it look like a rally bike. Lastly for a few years now I have been on the look out for a 1980/81 honda goldwing interstate, as I love the look of that bike.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I am now praying that they bring the zx25r into Australia. I can immediately see how much potential for fun a bike like this represents.
Not sure if I mentioned this but I e-mailed Kawi Australia about this a while back and their answer was a definite no, they wont be bringing it in. :sad:

By change you mean add another, right? I don't sell bikes anymore, I miss them all too much.

Kiwi, what's wrong with an R6 or CBR600R?
Nothing that I'm aware of Lol. I'm just more of a twin cylinder sort of guy. I like a narrow bike and particularly like the sound of a V twin or a 270 deg crank parallel twin.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
...Just wondering if anyone else is getting the two year itch and thinking about a change of steed?...
Not I. I love my bae too much lol.

However, I recently went to a Ducati 2020 event ("Ready 4 Red") last week showcasing the new 2020 models and that Panigale V2 caught my eye. I didn't wanna get off of it tbh, but I had to let other people take their turns trying it out. :ROFLMAO:

Originally I was in love with the V4, but I could barely "tippy-toe" it. However, not with the V2; the balls of my feet touch the ground so I feel confident I could control it more. :alien: It's also affordable...like ~$16.5k. It's only 388lbs, and our Ninjas are 366 (stock). I felt entirely comfortable on that bike at the event. It's HAWTTTT! :love:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Not I. I love my bae too much lol.

However, I recently went to a Ducati 2020 event ("Ready 4 Red") last week showcasing the new 2020 models and that Panigale V2 caught my eye. I didn't wanna get off of it tbh, but I had to let other people take their turns trying it out. :ROFLMAO:

Originally I was in love with the V4, but I could barely "tippy-toe" it. However, not with the V2; the balls of my feet touch the ground so I feel confident I could control it more. :alien: It's also affordable...like ~$16.5k. It's only 388lbs, and our Ninjas are 366 (stock). I felt entirely comfortable on that bike at the event. It's HAWTTTT! :love:
Did you have a chance to ride in traffic? How did you find the ergonomics on the V2?

Reactions: TaiMc

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
Yes, I have the V2 bug also. I sat on one last week and truly fell in love. And though it has a lot more road friendly design than the 959, it would be a lot of work to daily drive it around the streets and traffic. It is designed more for canyon carving and track days. As far as the V4...well lets just say that I am probably not grown up enough to have a bike like that on the road?

·
Registered
119 Posts
After looking at all the new bikes, nothing is going to get me to sell the z400. I have big plans in the new year, suspension work being one of them . I really wanted the new Tracer 700 but its not coming to the USA .

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Did you have a chance to ride in traffic? How did you find the ergonomics on the V2?
Unfortunately, no. It was a pre-showing: "Ready 4Red" Event in which they unveiled the 2020 models before they hit the showroom. They just had them on stands, where you could sit and try the brakes, clutch, throttle, etc. I'll try to post some photos for yall soon. My friend is sending them to me now. It felt comfortable though...much better than the v4 and other supersport bikes I've sat on. I was really impressed.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Yes, I have the V2 bug also. I sat on one last week and truly fell in love. And though it has a lot more road friendly design than the 959, it would be a lot of work to daily drive it around the streets and traffic. It is designed more for canyon carving and track days. As far as the V4...well lets just say that I am probably not grown up enough to have a bike like that on the road?
Haha, I feel it!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Not changing bikes this year but I'll probably add another one to the stable. I've been on a green kick lately, installing solar panels on my house, trading in my daily driver for a Tesla, and now looking at the various electric bikes. Either a Zero SR/F or Energica Eva.

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
looking at the various electric bikes. Either a Zero SR/F or Energica Eva.
Keep us posted, I can't wait to hear about it. I have something in the back of my head that says I would miss the sound, smell and gear changing (hopefully not at the same moment ? ). Message to myself: suck up, change is good!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Keep us posted, I can't wait to hear about it. I have something in the back of my head that says I would miss the sound, smell and gear changing (hopefully not at the same moment ? ). Message to myself: suck up, change is good!
The visceral experience of driving an internal combustion vehicle is something hard to give up, but the serenity, simplicity, and neck-snapping instant torque of electric vehicles have served well as replacements :)

Personally, I wouldn't have considered an electric bike if I hadn't already made the switch to an electric car - it just makes sense to me now. Still, there's something reassuring about revving a motorcycle and making your presence known...

Reactions: Foohy270 and TaiMc
61 - 80 of 99 Posts