Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Note I didn't use the word 'upgrade' because it has negative connotations and this is just a fun thread, not looking to bag the N400 at all.

Just wondering if anyone else is getting the two year itch and thinking about a change of steed? I'm one of those riders who changes his bike fairly regular. I'm interested in new models and what they have to offer. The N400 is a fantastic machine for the $5K asking price but you dont get some of the trick bits at that price point and I like trick bits. :D

Ive had a good year financially by curbing my overseas winter holiday habit and pulling a few more over time hours than usual, so the $$ are available to make it happen.

I've been waiting for a manufacturer to bring out a sub 700cc twin cylinder bike in proper sportsbike guise for some time. I had hoped Ducati would re-visit the 600SS of old as I like Dukes but it seems Aprilia have beat them to it with the RS660 due later this year.
So that's the main contender for my coin at this stage.

Wild card could be the ZX-25R four cylinder if it gets released globally... would be a cheaper option but completely different monster to the Aprilia. It'd be a screamer for sure and a real hoot to ride but the novelty could wear thin on a long tour when after a while you just want some low down torque for grunting out of corners easily. Hmmm.

Lots to think about!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Me, but not getting rid of the 400. The RSV4 has been for sale since October, so as soon as that sells I'll be able to buy something else.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, I just got my first bike a few weeks ago... but I've been told by many people that they've gotten bored after a month or two w/ their first bike.
That being said, I'm not sure for myself how I'm going progress... if I end up liking the speed/canyon carving/track days, maybe I'll go upto ninja 650 or supersport bike!
But I've also enjoyed watching vlogs of people doing tours and I've thought about this as well... so maybe I'll swing into a cruiser (Vulcan or Indian Scout)?
And right now, I'm mainly using the bike to commute, so perhaps I may end up getting a Zero or other electric bike (my work has chargers)

And of course, there is the possibility that I'll be happy to keep the Ninja.

Anyway, how many bikes have you owned? What kind of riding are you doing or do you wish you were doing?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Well I did post last month I sold my black Ninja 400. Lovely bike but with the sale of my house I was presented with an opportunity. I've always loved Italian bikes and I'll be riding this Spring a Ducati Monster 797 and a Moto Guzzi V7 Chrome.

Believe me I would of keep the Ninja if I could but I don't have the room for three motorcycles.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I’ll probably keep my 400 for 5-10 years. I don’t see me buying another bike for quite some time. The only other bike I might consider would be an older zx10r as a project bike. And that probably won’t happen. Had a year or two I really loved, about 2004 or so.

·
Super Moderator
662 Posts
I'm keeping my Ninja for sure. But I am looking hard at a 2020 Ducati V2. I do like the new Aprilia, but I can't seem to get my mind off that bloody V2.

Now that I have moved off my sailboat and moved a few miles onshore, I ride my bike to work. The Ninja is a fantastic city bike and so much fun to ride, so I don't see selling it anytime soon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
As soon as I sell one of my bikes, I'll probably look for a used or new old stock MT-07. Rented that bike out in LA while on a business trip and loved it. It's a nice compromise between my N400 and N1000. Only wish it came in sport touring trim i.e. fairing. I know it's "long in the tooth" but good bikes transcend time.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Me, but not getting rid of the 400. The RSV4 has been for sale since October, so as soon as that sells I'll be able to buy something else.
Something beginning with 'D' maybe?? :grin:

...how many bikes have you owned? What kind of riding are you doing or do you wish you were doing?
Somewhere between 15 and 20, lost count. Predominantly local sports riding on wkds and some longer touring a couple of times a year.

...Believe me I would of keep the Ninja if I could but I don't have the room for three motorcycles.
Ditto! Plus 2x rego, insurance etc.

...But I am looking hard at a 2020 Ducati V2. I do like the new Aprilia, but I can't seem to get my mind off that bloody V2.
Yeah it's a nice machine alright, a more real world proposition than a V4.

As soon as I sell one of my bikes, I'll probably look for a used or new old stock MT-07. ...it's a nice compromise between my N400 and N1000. Only wish it came in sport touring trim i.e. fairing. I know it's "long in the tooth" but good bikes transcend time.
I'm a big fan of this bike, good choice. Your not the first person to say to me that they wished they did a faired model. Listening Yamaha?? :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm keeping my Ninja for sure. But I am looking hard at a 2020 Ducati V2. I do like the new Aprilia, but I can't seem to get my mind off that bloody V2.

Now that I have moved off my sailboat and moved a few miles onshore, I ride my bike to work. The Ninja is a fantastic city bike and so much fun to ride, so I don't see selling it anytime soon.

Unless you're dead set on getting a brand new one, I'd look for a used 959 or 1199 or 1299 and save yourself some money. The new V2 is essentially the 959 with a different name. I think it's dumb that Ducati named it "Panigale V2" now since the V4 came out. It was a V2 before...almost every Ducati ever made was a V2! lol

Something beginning with 'D' maybe?? :grin:

Depends what I find. I've already lost out on some well setup bikes just because I haven't sold mine yet, so I'll see what's available once I manage to get mine sold. The main contenders are ZX6R's, R6's and some cool well setup lightweight twins (but not SV's lol). Saw some FZ-07/MT-07s, and a nice Ducati Monster 1100.

·
Registered
403 Posts
i have been purchasing the ZX6R every now and then in my dreams for sometime now only to later come back to reality.
Naah, not happening.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I picked up a 2016 gixxer 750 in July. Haven’t had it on a good street run yet. I think I did 3 track days on it, but never rode it for the whole day. Always seem to wind up back on the 400.
I also picked up a 2011 Ninja 250 in late October for dirt cheap. Very fun bike to ride, reminds me of the 400. I have taken it out for some twisty runs when the temps were over 50 degrees. Can’t wait to hit the track with it!
Trying to sell my 2006 gixxer 600. Don’t know if I will get another bike once the 600 sells.

Maybes include a N300 or R3. The Aprilia RS is a long shot and so is the zx250 if it ever comes to the USA.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I haven't had my N400 for very long and I'm having a lot of fun riding and modifying it, so no new ones planned. I would love a true supersport with Yamaha's MT07 engine, especially if it was almost as light as the N400. After watching YouTube reviews of the Panigale V2, that would be the bike I would buy if I let myself go all in. For me it is the near perfect balance of 2 cylinder beauty, power, handling and tech.

·
Super Moderator
662 Posts
Unless you're dead set on getting a brand new one, I'd look for a used 959 or 1199 or 1299 and save yourself some money. The new V2 is essentially the 959 with a different name. I think it's dumb that Ducati named it "Panigale V2" now since the V4 came out. It was a V2 before...almost every Ducati ever made was a V2! lol

I am going in circles between an 848 EVO and the V2, the 959 is a double swing arm somewhere in the middle...either a basic 848 and very little cash or I will go all out and get the V2 with all the bells and whistles to grow into. It is a great place to be....

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

I am going in circles between an 848 EVO and the V2, the 959 is a double swing arm somewhere in the middle...either a basic 848 and very little cash or I will go all out and get the V2 with all the bells and whistles to grow into. It is a great place to be....

I think you'd like the V2 or 959 better than the 848. Not that the 848 isn't a fun bike, it's just harder to ride. Not as comfy, doesn't handle as well, not as fast, less reliable, etc....but they go for a lot cheaper. I see them selling for around $5000 sometimes.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not I. But I just bought my N400 about three months ago. I like to keep motorcycles for about ten years or so. Depreciation on motorcycles is bad, and there doesn't seem to be very rapid changes in technology to justify frequent replacement based on how I ride.

If I were to change, the bike that most fit my needs was a BMW F800GT with the low factory suspension. I don't know if they've been discontinued worldwide, but they quit selling them in the US. It's pluses include belt drive and the ease of fitting hard luggage. It's big minus was a dinky little gas tank given the larger motor's fuel consumption, which reduced range too much. I've taken a gamble with the Ninja 400 in that it's very good fuel economy will make up for it's small tank.

I also prefer to keep cars about a decade instead of getting a depreciation hit by trading more often. And even then there wasn't a real improvement with my last purchase--the only tech improvement that I appreciate between my 2005 and 2015 cars was a rear view camera. My wife and I also ladder car debt. We'll buy a new one every five years or so, not buying the next until the other one is paid off. This makes for only one payment at a time.

I'd make exceptions if my riding style changed, or something that "I just gotta get" came out. I don't anticipate that happening.

But I do understand that most people like to keep up to date or just like a change.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've been eyeing a low mileage '16 Street Triple RX.

A few months back, my wife got a Triumph Street Twin as she was enamored with the retro look. However, as she rode both the Street Twin and my Ninja 400, little by little, she gravitated towards my Ninja till she practically owns it now.

I like the Street Twin....especially its grunty parallel twin motor and its premium aesthetics, but its not a perfect bike. Brakes are squishy, suspension bottoms out, and most unnerving, the steering wobbles when ridden hard on uneven surfaces. This is a bike that's meant to be ridden gently. And I think I learned a little about myself in that I prefer lightweight, balanced, revvy bikes versus the heavier, grunty cruisers/classics.

Unfortunately, I don't have room for 3 bikes, and the Street Twin has to go. There's a fairly priced Street Triple Rx at a dealer that I plan on seeing later today. Before I pull the plug, are there any Striple owners that can comment on the bike vis a vis the N400?

·
Registered
911 Posts

I love the looks of the 848, but right the 959 is more reliable and etc. but it reminds me of the 749, 999 days of Ducati's some people found them ugly, I actually really like the 999R. And it was very performance oriented. Older dry clutch bikes have a sound of their own as well.....rattle, rattle, rattle, ding, rattle, ding, rattle, chug, ding, rattle..... :grin:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I love the looks of the 848, but right the 959 is more reliable and etc. but it reminds me of the 749, 999 days of Ducati's some people found them ugly, I actually really like the 999R. And it was very performance oriented. Older dry clutch bikes have a sound of their own as well.....rattle, rattle, rattle, ding, rattle, ding, rattle, chug, ding, rattle..... :grin:

Yeah I've always loved the looks of the 848/1098/1198 bikes. The 1198 is the bike I've owned the longest by far out of all the bikes I've had so far. It was pretty awesome but not an easy bike to ride. If I had a bunch more money now, I would definitely get the new V4 instead or a 1299. But the 1198 was the last of the old-school Ducatis in my opinion. A ****-ton of torque, trellis frame, dry clutch, no electronic aids at all, dual under-tail exhaust....just freakin awesome! Although on mine I did have an aftermarket traction control system, which saved my ass a few times.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As soon as I sell one of my bikes, I'll probably look for a used or new old stock MT-07. Rented that bike out in LA while on a business trip and loved it. It's a nice compromise between my N400 and N1000. Only wish it came in sport touring trim i.e. fairing. I know it's "long in the tooth" but good bikes transcend time.
What did you like about the MT-07? MCN gave the MT-07 an excellent review. I have a 2007 Kawasaki 650R Ninja with only 4,050 miles and am considering trading for the MT-07.

·
Registered
403 Posts
from a naked sports tourer perspective the Z900 ABS is on a mighty decent deal during the winters (7k $) in WA and it is a steal at that.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts