Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

Which oil is best?

107K views 77 replies 34 participants last post by  skrish 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I ended up getting prey of marketing hype and bought the Motul 300V and the Hiflo oil filter. The shifting is smother. I want to see if it keeps that smooth for the whole year until the next oil change. I don't make 6k miles a year, so I usually change my oil and filter once a year.
IMHO a whole year might be a little long for that oil. Here's why:

Motul 300V is "racing engine oil developed for Factory Teams". I'd be surprised to find out there's marketing hype for a racing engine oil that recommends leaving it in your engine for 12 months.

For that there's Motul 7100, which is their ester synthetic oil with an additive package that's suitable for street use and normal oil change intervals. There are hints in the data sheets.
Motul 300V recommendations:
For optimum engine and gearbox performance, avoid mixing with other synthetic or mineral lubricants.​
Oil change: according to your own use.​
Motul 7100 recommendations:
Drain interval: according to manufacturers’ recommendations and tune to your own use.​
Can be mixed with synthetic or mineral lubricants.​

#50 · (Edited by Moderator)
Mobil 10w40 4T Racing

I have been using Mobil 10W40 4T racing for over 15 years in all my bikes.

I usually change it every 3/k miles. I have a little over 1/k miles on the 400, I already went with the Mobil.

I will probably change it again early track season to get the new sexy aluminum oil drain bolt with the holes for safety wire.

I will change the oil and filter once a season. I doubt I will hit 3/k miles a season with 2 bikes.

#52 · (Edited by Moderator)
Past 600 miles and hence 1st service completed.

I was looking at engine oils and this caught my eye (the Amazon basics fully synthetic 10w-40 oil). Great reviews and cheap (that always raises a question in my books).

So, I googled and found this --

It blows out valvoline and even mobil 1. I am wondering if the video is legit (but that coupled with the amazon reviews looks like a good deal).

Fakespot gives a C or F rating to most of these oils though. :(

Inputs anyone?

#55 · (Edited by Moderator)
Bike oil vs car oil

That amazon oil looks good and the price is right. I would try it in one of my cars. But BIKE OIL for bikes and CAR OIL for cars. Like the gentlemen have said before me, there are additives in car oil that are no good for bike wet clutches.

I have tried the Shell Rotella oil in one of my bikes. I didn’t like the way it was shifting and the shifts were not smooth. I dumped it right away and went back to MOBIL ONE for bikes.

That was an expensive oil change. I went with the Mobil One 10w40 4T Racing the 1st oil change when I got the 400 at 900 miles.

#62 · (Edited by Moderator)
And for those confused after reading this whole thread and for new oil changers who just don't want to stop by your dealer, just stop in at Amazon and order a kit from Kawasaki to your door. don't forget a oil pan and oil filter wrench.

Kawasaki Oil.. and a paper funnel and press ring (that does not press) for the plug bolt included..

Ninja 300, 400, 500, 650, ZX-6R, ZZR600, ZX-10, ZX-14 all use the same Oil Filter.. :surprise:

:3tens:

You can thank me later..

😁🤓😁

Attachments

Reactions: Kiwi Rider
#63 · (Edited by Moderator)
Talking about oil, I just received my gallon of Motul 5100 off ebay. However, the seller kinda screwed me over, the manafacture date's stamped is January 2016.

I am wondering, is the oil good to use after 3.5 years even though it's un-opened? Don't really want to go into returning process now.

I read Motul is saying their oil is good for 2-3 years maximum unused; unopened. That is from reading around the net with people who asked them. I sent them an email anyway and waiting for their answer.

#64 · (Edited by Moderator)
What kind of oil will you be using

51 miles new f/o kaw dino 187 miles stock filter again this time with bel ray.

I will not be doing a 600 mile service mine will be at 500 miles and now i will go with honda hp4 dino oil when possible for the time that i own the bike.

When i googled the best oil for m/c that oil came up more the once in the top 3 of brands mention.

I might stay with reg oil and change every 2 or 3 thousand miles

2 qts is cheap and the bike has a access panel so pretty easy job.

#65 · (Edited by Moderator)
Anyone using Motul 7100 10W40 full synthetic?

Still running mineral, I thought I'd give it a try to lessen the clunkiness of gear changes.

#69 · (Edited by Moderator)
IMHO a whole year might be a little long for that oil. Here's why:

Motul 300V is "racing engine oil developed for Factory Teams". I'd be surprised to find out there's marketing hype for a racing engine oil that recommends leaving it in your engine for 12 months. For that there's Motul 7100, which is their ester synthetic oil with an additive package that's suitable for street use and normal oil change intervals. There are hints in the data sheets.
Motul 300V recommendations:​
For optimum engine and gearbox performance, avoid mixing with other synthetic or mineral lubricants.​
Oil change: according to your own use.​
Motul 7100 recommendations:​
Drain interval: according to manufacturers’ recommendations and tune to your own use.​
Can be mixed with synthetic or mineral lubricants.​
The Ninja takes 2 litres when you change the filter. Just have to be careful what viscosity you use.

Motul was the leading oil brand for years, I prefer factory brand oil eg Honda,Kawasaki,Yamaha,Suzuki.

For winter 10-30w is recommendation
Or for summer 10-40w is recommended.

I usually change every 3-6k for oil and or before after a track day.

#70 · (Edited by Moderator)
The Ninja takes 2 litres when change the filter, any just have to be careful what viscosity you use. Motul was the leading oil brand for years, I prefer factory brand oil eg Honda,Kawasaki,Yamaha,Suzuki.
For winter 10-30w is recommendation
Or for summer 10-40w is recommended.
I ussualy change every 3-6k for oil and or before after a track day. View attachment 13224
I just fill my crankcase up with the likes of that WD-40 you are showcasing there.

I am also pretty sure that tyre shine, when generously sprayed all over the tread surface of your tire increases mechanical grip without the need to adjust shock length to change swingarm angle.

I call it "race swingarm angle in a can." Pin it to win it!

Go get em' tiger!

#73 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'll bet you anything that photo is not taken in Shane's garage. Surprisingly he actually posted a real photo in the 'show us your garage' thread:

The only motorcycle reference I'm seeing is one rear stand. Where's all the suspension tuning gear?? :unsure:

That beam of shining light must be coming off DMT's hand..

Lol right. Not seeing all the suspension tuning stuff but if you look at the real photo of his garage and what he posted above, they are indeed the same cabinet with stickers, that infamous Tyre Shine, as well as that Motul chain cleaner. He just moved the stuff around to pose for the picture.

In all honesty, I hope he has at least one good friend and the kid grows up and gets his act together respecting others instead of trying so darn hard to be respected and looked upon as some great rider and provider of motorcycle wisdom.

Seems like to me he wants to be the overnight Keith Code, Dave Moss, Troy Corser, etc..

I get the feeling he has always been that kid that felt out of place and wanted to be liked and known for being somebody, so over compensated by trying to make people like him cause he told everyone he had all the cool bikes everyone wanted or his motorcycle was always faster, or he was always the better rider, or had all the answers to being the fastest, etc. Instead of just being himself and getting to know people and people getting to know him and understand his strengths and weaknesses.

#74 ·
@b0Xcrash Good spotting my friend, you should be a detective!
Yeah, I agree with your comments about SDSS, I'm going to stop tacking the mickey out of him from now on.
Kiwi's love to pick on Aussies when we get the chance. It's kinda like we have a bit of an inferiority complex towards them as they are the bigger Nation. We just love beating them at Rugby, which happens often lol.

#76 ·
Kiwi, Can you imagine what the "All Blacks" are going to be like when your Prime Minister finally lifts all her stay at home orders and lets the boys out of their cages? I'm not sure our '2nd amendment boys' and their toys would stand a chance. ;)
Yeah I reckon. The NZ & Oz govts are having talks at present about opening up the border between the two countries once Australia gets rid of it too. We havent had a new case for 9 days now and there is only one (known) active case in the whole country.
So it's looking likely we will get some trans-tasman rugby games during the later part of winter. But the rest of the world inc your Eagles team will have to wait a bit.

#78 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am loving the silky smooth feeling I am getting on my Ninja 400 . Recent changes:

a. Metzeller Sportec M9 RR
b. MOTUL 10W-40 synthetic
c. New O2 sensor - My bike has extended warranty to Kawasaki took care of it
d. Lubed my chain using Maximo Chain cleaner, lube & wax

Of all the above, I am attributing the smoothness especially the gear shifting to Motul. Simply cannot believe, a good oil can make all the difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.