Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!

I'm back on the forum after a long break and I have decided that I really want an exhaust. After reading a bunch of reviews on this forum and after looking at my tiny student budget I kinda decided on getting a Delkevic slip-on. They seem to be the perfect balance between cost and quality while not looking all that bad. However I look on the Delkevic UK website and I'm at a loss seeing how many options I have. I know the shorter you go, the louder the exhaust becomes. But how loud is too loud hmmm. A very popular option on this sub is the DL10 14" ( KAWASAKI NINJA 400 Z400 2018-20 350mm ROUND STAINLESS BSAU SILENCER EXHAUST KIT ) but how much louder are the shorter options. They also look better and some are even cheaper. Can anyone weigh in? In my country I have only seen one other N400 and it also had the stock exhaust, so hearing it in person is out of the question. Above 250 euros is unfortunately too expensive for me right now so that kinda narrows down my options.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Welcome back to the forum...I'll chime in since I've owned a few different Delkevic's over the years. The sound level is subjective because what sounds good to one person may not sound good to someone else. For some it's "the louder, the better"...

I've heard all the various lengths in person and I can tell you that in my opinion that the short ones are too loud. The 14" gives a good deep aggressive sound that is still much louder than stock. A removable baffle is also an option, but I'm not sure if it comes with the one you pictured since it has the wider exit tip...

Another UK brand I've heard that's good quality without breaking the bank is Scorpion...

Let us know what you choose...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If sound is a significant objective, try listening to YouTube or other postings on a good sound system or good headphones. Tinny little phone, tablet or built-in computer speakers will not do well.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have had the 14" Delkevic carbon fiber silencer on my Z400 for a couple of months, and find the sound level to be only a bit louder than stock, and with a "nice", lower frequency sound to it, especially when decelerating on closed throttle (REALLY nice then!).

I just also installed the matching Delkevic header, but have not run it yet to hear the difference in sound volume and character, as I am recovering from a serious surgery and cannot resume riding yet. :(

Anothe r thing to keep in mind: The Carbon Fiber silencers run MUCH cooler surface temperatures than the metal silencers. This keeps you from accidentally burning yourself if you touch the muffler right after a ride, and also enables you to place a motorcycle cover on the bike immediately after a ride, without waiting for the muffler to cool.

Jim G

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Get well, Jim. 😷👩‍⚕️👨‍⚕️

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I had a 14" Carbon Delkevic on another bike and it was bang on for me volume wise with the removable baffle in. It sounded really good on the deceleration like Jim said. I did try it with the baffle out but too loud for me. I'd recommend the longer one even if it doesn't look quite as cool as the shorter ones. Less harsh in the sound.

The Scorpions are good but dearer than the Delkevics. Not sure of price in Euros but they start at around £330 for the stainless steel one. Not good for student budget!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello again guys! Thank you so much for the replies! I still have some time to decide until I ship my motorcycle to the country my university is in, but I'll make sure to post an update here :)

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
I don't have much to add, butt as you stated; shorter is louder. (Shorter is also lighter, and less expensive.) If yer the loudest person on the road, you'll be a cop magnet. Thought the EU is tough on loud pipes?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I love the old school look of the tri-oval

1 - 10 of 10 Posts