Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
The easiest way to improve the lap times on any of the bikes I raced was to take me off and put on a faster rider, and that probably goes for at least 80% of the club racers on 100% of the bikes out there. Modern bikes, even smaller ones, are very capable, if you are trying to master one you'd best not be doing it on the street because you'll be going much top fast to keep your license.

I can't imagine my going as fast as a top club racer, and then I see them get smoked by a top national rider, who then gets smoked by a top international rider. So when I see someone like Rossi etc their speeds don't look real to me, the difference between what they can do and what I can try to do is too great for me to internalize it. I can appreciate it intellectually, but emotionally it just looks impossible.
So true...kids these days...they will never experience the big heavy crappy CB750 fours we had to ride. My first bike was a GT550 2 stroke, triple. 470 lbs wet....50 hp

I remember when the GSX-R 750 came out in 85 is was like the H2R when it came out compared to everything else power wise and like a Ducati Panigale V4R compared to the Honda Rebel 500 in handling.(well almost) It changed street bikes as we know it.

The Ninja 400 of today would out handle, out stop and out perform the best of the 4 cylinder 750's in the 70's...heck I bet it would out perform almost every bike of the 70's with the exception of some of the Ducati's, the Laverda, and Bimota's but even then it might out handle them and sure would give them a run for their money.
Even the bigger CC bikes of the 80's and early 90's the 400 would run with.

The Benelli 900 SEI only ran a top speed of just under 130mph and that was a 6 cylinder....so yeah....even the budget bikes of today have become something else.

Super Moderator
My first bike was a '85 Ninja 600R, 475 lbs, 75 hp, 4 cylinder. It was so brilliant when I drove it off the showroom floor. Smaller and nearly 150lbs lighter, my ninja 400 would have killed my 600R (probably me too).

Registered
I've been riding since I was a wee lad in the 70s. To me, every motorcycle is great - I've yet to run into one that I didn't appreciate in some way unique to that bike. On the other hand, I recognized over the years that every bike evokes different feelings and emotions out of me. I may not ever get tired of a single bike, but I would like to ride as many as I could.

Something like twistedroad.com makes that an easy task!

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
So true...kids these days...they will never experience the big heavy crappy CB750 fours we had to ride. My first bike was a GT550 2 stroke, triple. 470 lbs wet....50 hp

I remember when the GSX-R 750 came out in 85 is was like the H2R when it came out compared to everything else power wise and like a Ducati Panigale V4R compared to the Honda Rebel 500 in handling.(well almost) It changed street bikes as we know it.

The Ninja 400 of today would out handle, out stop and out perform the best of the 4 cylinder 750's in the 70's...heck I bet it would out perform almost every bike of the 70's with the exception of some of the Ducati's, the Laverda, and Bimota's but even then it might out handle them and sure would give them a run for their money.
Even the bigger CC bikes of the 80's and early 90's the 400 would run with.

The Benelli 900 SEI only ran a top speed of just under 130mph and that was a 6 cylinder....so yeah....even the budget bikes of today have become something else.
Oh wow, I didn't have any experience with motorcycles, but I had a similar feeling that my ninja 400 as a beginner bike was a pretty high performing bike. I mean I have yet to hit the rev limits in the higher gears!

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
I've been riding since I was a wee lad in the 70s. To me, every motorcycle is great - I've yet to run into one that I didn't appreciate in some way unique to that bike. On the other hand, I recognized over the years that every bike evokes different feelings and emotions out of me. I may not ever get tired of a single bike, but I would like to ride as many as I could.

Something like twistedroad.com makes that an easy task!
wow, this twistedroad site looks genius! Especially if I should travel or go somewhere ... just got to bring all my gear!

Registered
I don't see how you could possibly be bored with it after two months, but everyone's different I guess. You sure your buddy wasn't just trying to stir the pot? I've never been "bored" with any bike I've owned.

Registered
Oh wow, I didn't have any experience with motorcycles, but I had a similar feeling that my ninja 400 as a beginner bike was a pretty high performing bike.
I looked up some N400 1/4 mile times/trap speeds. It is just a bit slower (time) and a bit faster (speed) than what I got when I took my special-framed Yamaha TT500 road racer to the Baylands drag strip in Fremont CA in the 1980s. When I let a friend who later rode some AMA Pro races enter my thumper in the 250GP class at Sears Point he managed to finish mid-pack on it (he was far faster than I ever was).

Here's a photo of my bike after it was sold to a collector in France who prettied it up from when I was racing it:

cheers,
Michael

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
I don't see how you could possibly be bored with it after two months, but everyone's different I guess. You sure your buddy wasn't just trying to stir the pot? I've never been "bored" with any bike I've owned.
He was serious and I've heard other people tell me the same thing like when I was shopping in Cyclegear!
Since I bought the bike, I have rode it every day but 9 even if it's just a mile to the post and every day I ride is better for it.

I'll still hit the upcoming demo day so I don't miss the opportunity. Also it may turn out that I like other features like a seat, levers, or quickshifter which is good to know if I upgrade down the road. The only thing I'm not crazy about is side-winds/gusts and if I discover a bike that's handles that so much better than my Ninja that may give me pause.

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
I looked up some N400 1/4 mile times/trap speeds. It is just a bit slower (time) and a bit faster (speed) than what I got when I took my special-framed Yamaha TT500 road racer to the Baylands drag strip in Fremont CA in the 1980s. When I let a friend who later rode some AMA Pro races enter my thumper in the 250GP class at Sears Point he managed to finish mid-pack on it (he was far faster than I ever was).

Here's a photo of my bike after it was sold to a collector in France who prettied it up from when I was racing it:

cheers,
Michael
that's a cool bike. I'm glad you found it a nice home :)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts