Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's 2 months now that I got my first bike, and one of my buds (ex-rider due to settling down/kids) asked semi-seriously if I was bored w/ my bike.
I love my little ninja, but I have heard of many people saying they got bored after a month. Is this related to group rides and seeing other bikes or craving more power to keep up? Did you start riding track/racing? Did you miss the feeling of being afraid?

My background is that I'm older (in my 40s) and used to road bike doing a lot of century rides so I'm perfectly happy cruising around at 50mph on quiet roads.
I need to do another MSF course and hope to start tackling some canyon roads later this summer, but I expect to be even more attached to the bike at that point.

I was thinking of attending a Yamaha demo day just to try out other bikes and get experience? Hoping I won't leave there unhappy w/ my ninja!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It's 2 months now that I got my first bike, and one of my buds (ex-rider due to settling down/kids) asked semi-seriously if I was bored w/ my bike.
I love my little ninja, but I have heard of many people saying they got bored after a month. Is this related to group rides and seeing other bikes or craving more power to keep up? Did you start riding track/racing? Did you miss the feeling of being afraid?

My background is that I'm older (in my 40s) and used to road bike doing a lot of century rides so I'm perfectly happy cruising around at 50mph on quiet roads.
I need to do another MSF course and hope to start tackling some canyon roads later this summer, but I expect to be even more attached to the bike at that point.

I was thinking of attending a Yamaha demo day just to try out other bikes and get experience? Hoping I won't leave there unhappy w/ my ninja!
Had my bike for 2 years. Never had a dull moment. Never been bored. Never had the feeling of being afraid; more so a feeling of being vigilant. Still have the same excited feeling every time I crank it!

So, I can't relate. Maybe location is a factor as well? I'll be 40 this year: not sure if that makes a difference with being satisfied with my bike.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I've yet to be bored with a bike.

My thing is to keep doing something new; always find new challenges or skills to master. Perhaps you may learn that you need a different bike based on this--like when I changed from my cruiser to a sportbike. That's not boredom, that's getting the proper tool for the job.

Long ago, I took to long distance riding. I've earned three Iron Butt Association certificates. You can ride a Saddle Sore 1000 in one day if you loop back to return home that night. As I gained extra leave time and simultaneously experienced reduced family needs, I was also able to take some cross country trips as far west as Nevada and Idaho and as far east as North Carolina and Virginia. The Appalachians, Rockies and Black Hills introduced me to curvy mountain roads. Wyoming, western Colorado and Utah taught me good planning. I learned to ride in the cold in North Dakota and on western mountaintops. I learned to ride in the heat in the Great Salt Desert. And now I'm learning urban riding since moving to Milwaukee.

That's not for everyone. Maybe you'd like track days. Maybe off roading or soft roading. Camping by motorcycle is a thing. There's lots of stuff to do on two wheels. And the more inappropriate the bike, the greater the adventure! You just need to keep finding your next challenge, and boredom will never enter your vocabulary.

Boredom is not the bike's issue. It's the rider's state of mind.

·
Super Moderator
809 Posts
I think some people just get bored with everything; cars, houses, wives, beer...ok, not beer! To me, this Ninja keeps opening up different avenues for me. I have slowly tweaked and moved the bike to my liking, been loving cruising the canyons around Malibu and then when I think I know it all, I took a weekend course at a track. It just keeps getting better all the time. I am pretty sure that for me, there is not one bike that can do all that I want. The Ninja covers 90%, not bad and nothing to get bored with.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have yet to ride my ninja 400 to its full potential, don't think I'll get bored of it till I master it. Which will probably be never. Now I wouldn't want to ride my ninja for long distances or on long straight roads, so I got Honda Magna to do that stuff. It's better suited for that type of riding. I think either you're the type of person to just get bored of stuff regardless, or are too caught up in wanting to have a "big" bike. I'm still a novice rider at best and am faster than 99% of guys on liter bikes at the track. Just do what makes you happy, other people's opinions don't really matter.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think some people just get bored with everything; cars, houses, wives, beer...ok, not beer!
Thanks for clearing up that "beer" thing. I've already gone through the rest of the list.. You were just about to take away my last safe haven and happy place.:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have yet to ride my ninja 400 to its full potential, don't think I'll get bored of it till I master it. Which will probably be never. Now I wouldn't want to ride my ninja for long distances or on long straight roads, so I got Honda Magna to do that stuff. It's better suited for that type of riding. I think either you're the type of person to just get bored of stuff regardless, or are too caught up in wanting to have a "big" bike. I'm still a novice rider at best and am faster than 99% of guys on liter bikes at the track. Just do what makes you happy, other people's opinions don't really matter.
That's great. Although from reading your post, you don't sound like a novice :) I am glad though that I have yet to experience buyer's regret.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had my bike for 2 years. Never had a dull moment. Never been bored. Never had the feeling of being afraid; more so a feeling of being vigilant. Still have the same excited feeling every time I crank it!

So, I can't relate. Maybe location is a factor as well? I'll be 40 this year: not sure if that makes a difference with being satisfied with my bike.
I admit I've been a little afraid a few times; when going on the freeway first time I felt like the wind was going to pull me off! That being said I don't seek out that state of mind. On the other hand I want to avoid complacency; so vigilance or mindful is an apt feeling. I had to drive to a doctor's apt. and the experience was very different from my ride!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm still just newly riding mine. I love it, and I don't think I'll get bored of it ever. Granted, I'm old and not that interested in racing people up the 14 to Indian Wells on a lawless Saturday morning. I also have a bigger bike that I'm working on getting back into, so if I want to cruise, I can cruise. Or, I'll be back to cruisin' as soon as i stop being lazy and bust up my knuckles some.

·
Registered
651 Posts
@TaiMc I thought you were younger, you don’t look 40!

I don’t get bored with my bike but I do ride it less than I used to. I’ve ridden for ten years this June
I used to ride year round, rain didn’t stop me. Know I only ride if I want too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have yet to ride my ninja 400 to its full potential, don't think I'll get bored of it till I master it. Which will probably be never.
The easiest way to improve the lap times on any of the bikes I raced was to take me off and put on a faster rider, and that probably goes for at least 80% of the club racers on 100% of the bikes out there. Modern bikes, even smaller ones, are very capable, if you are trying to master one you'd best not be doing it on the street because you'll be going much top fast to keep your license.

I can't imagine my going as fast as a top club racer, and then I see them get smoked by a top national rider, who then gets smoked by a top international rider. So when I see someone like Rossi etc their speeds don't look real to me, the difference between what they can do and what I can try to do is too great for me to internalize it. I can appreciate it intellectually, but emotionally it just looks impossible.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's funny those people that get 'bored' of a bike yet can still barely corner it. More power becomes the cop-out objective since tearing up corners is too challenging. They can at least wind on throttle in a straight line for a buzz. Not great for license retention on public roads.
If you have enough roads or tracks full of corners, you'll never get bored of smaller bikes as their advantage is in that domain.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you get bored, you’re doing it wrong...LOL

Going on 2 years and still loving it. I must admit that I have a near endless supply of twisty roads around where I live. And several world class tracks as well!...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I admit I've been a little afraid a few times; when going on the freeway first time I felt like the wind was going to pull me off! That being said I don't seek out that state of mind. On the other hand I want to avoid complacency; so vigilance or mindful is an apt feeling. I had to drive to a doctor's apt. and the experience was very different from my ride!
YES! Complacency can be problematic. I've been told by many riders that have been in accidents that they let their guard down and that's when their accident occurred. Always be ready. I'm sure you know this. (y)

And yup I understand about getting on the freeway for the first time...especially where I live. So many cars driving at so many different speeds in so many lanes. It can be sensory overload at times, but you'll adapt and the things that worried you, won't be a huge focus any more.

I recently rode to a place that I previously had only driven to. The experience was totally different. That's what's lovely about motorcycles: the experience is like no other. You legit become entangled with your environment. It's raw and in your face. You feel your environment and your atmosphere first hand. There are no "filters" on a motorcycle. I think just these experiences alone will prevent me from ever becoming bored.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
@TaiMc I thought you were younger, you don’t look 40!
Haha yup and thank you!!! I get that all the time. Most people think I just turned 30 or that I'm in my early 30's. But nopppeee...I'll be 40 in August!
I attribute it to me not being married, or having kids, or wearing makeup! Could be the genes too. IDK! I just know I don't feel 39! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
The easiest way to improve the lap times on any of the bikes I raced was to take me off and put on a faster rider, and that probably goes for at least 80% of the club racers on 100% of the bikes out there.
Yup, there is always someone faster than you unless your Marq Marquez et al. The dude I bought my race bike off did a lap of my home track on it in a time of 1:07.5. I've been chasing that time the last four years ha ha. :giggle: I'm down to 1:07.88 now. Good to have something to work towards I guess...

Haha yup and thank you!!! I get that all the time. Most people think I just turned 30 or that I'm in my early 30's. But nopppeee...I'll be 40 in August!
I attribute it to me not being married, or having kids, or wearing makeup! Could be the genes too. IDK! I just know I don't feel 39! :ROFLMAO:
I'm picking you dont smoke either Tai? That's a real skin wrecker that habit. I saw a photo of me the other day on a social media site taken at a race meet. I thought to myself 'Heck Al, you look all of your 50 years lol'. And I eat my leafy greens :giggle:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Yup, there is always someone faster than you unless your Marq Marquez et al. The dude I bought my race bike off did a lap of my home track on it in a time of 1:07.5. I've been chasing that time the last four years ha ha. :giggle: I'm down to 1:07.88 now. Good to have something to work towards I guess...

I'm picking you dont smoke either Tai? That's a real skin wrecker that habit. I saw a photo of me the other day on a social media site taken at a race meet. I thought to myself 'Heck Al, you look all of your 50 years lol'. And I eat my leafy greens :giggle:
Yup! I don't smoke. I only drink water, or coffee or tea. I take my multivitamins too! :giggle:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts