Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya everyone! So, I'm curious to hear what tire pressure you all are running on your 400 for track riding so share those numbers, please!!

:grin: I'm running Q3+ and I'm curious what you all have yours at.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have to use Pirelli SC1 front SC 2 rear as I race in a Pirelli sponsored group.

I had been running
20 rear cold, 24 hot
24 front cold, 26 hot these pressures were from our race mechanic.

I had the pleasure of meeting the VP of Pirelli Asia my last race, I had him check my tires he said the air pressure was too low for my size and weight. I didn't have any major cold or hot tearing on my tires he did say since I am bigger I need a little more air in my tires. He suggested 24 R cold 25 hot, 26 F cold, 27 hot.

After trying his suggestion I dropped 4 seconds off my over all time. I am not sure if it was the tire pressure, or I pushed harder. The tires still felt planted, and looked in better shape after the race.

·
Registered
145 Posts
^^
4 Seconds with just an extra pound on the tires!!!??? I'm jealous. I prefer to think that you really pushed that session to impress that Pirelli VP! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have to use Pirelli SC1 front SC 2 rear as I race in a Pirelli sponsored group.

I had been running
20 rear cold, 24 hot
24 front cold, 26 hot these pressures were from our race mechanic.
I’m running the same compound and that seems pretty low on the front.
I run 34psi hot front
24psi hot rear

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I run 34psi hot front
24psi hot rear

It is. Yours are more like what it should be. I use whatever pressure the Pirelli tire vendor recommends at each track and each day. The suggested pressures vary from track to track and even from day to day based on the conditions of the track, but so far they've been roughly in that ball park. 33-35 psi front but for the rear I've usually seen 26-28 psi. For some of the bigger tires like 180-200, I've seen them recommend as low as 24, but for the small rears not quite that low. Could be totally different where you're at though. TX tracks are pretty rough, so I'm not surprised to see something a bit lower.

FWIW I've run anywhere from 31 to 35 in the front and 25 to 29 in the rear and never really noticed much of a difference. I have seen signs of tearing on the rear when running too high of pressure on my old ZX6R, but never on little bikes.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I run 34psi hot front
24psi hot rear
Thanks I will try that next practice day, the day was overcast I am wondering if that had something to do with his suggestion.

Now that I read what others are running I am wondering if our mechanic is just guessing the tire pressures..... HMMMM!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pirelli SuperCorsa SCs are all I run. On my R3, it was SC1 front, SC2 rear. I kept the 110/140 set up. Most of my track days saw ambient temperatures of around 90 degrees. At that temp, I ran 31F/27R hot and got perfect tire wear. Increase a little on hotter days, decrease on colder. The nice thing (or the worst thing) about the Pirelli SuperCorsa SCs are that you just need to look at the tires to see if the pressure is correct. They tear (hot or cold tear) very easily if you are just a couple of PSI off. So, as you see above, the range varies greatly, but you’ll know its right when your tire wear is correct.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Pirelli SuperCorsa SCs are all I run. On my R3, it was SC1 front, SC2 rear. I kept the 110/140 set up. Most of my track days saw ambient temperatures of around 90 degrees. At that temp, I ran 31F/27R hot and got perfect tire wear. Increase a little on hotter days, decrease on colder. The nice thing (or the worst thing) about the Pirelli SuperCorsa SCs are that you just need to look at the tires to see if the pressure is correct. They tear (hot or cold tear) very easily if you are just a couple of PSI off. So, as you see above, the range varies greatly, but you’ll know its right when your tire wear is correct.
+1 @SDM! this is more like the pressures I would expect you to be running in your hot climate.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I also use SuperCorsa SCs on my Ninja. I use 30F and 28R cold. I find that tyre wear is very good, but then, the track surface is finer (more slippery) than most tracks in Thailand.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Last practice and race I played with my tire pressure, I found that 32F H was to much the front would lose grip, so I ran 30F H and never felt the front slip after that. As for rear I find that 26 to 28H the tire wear looks good, I have a little tearing on it but not as bad as when I was running lower pressures. The track temp on race days was 61*C so really hot. I talked with Pirelli rep he said the tire wear is normal as the track temp is really hot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did my first track day yesterday, so you know where my head has been for the past 24+ hours. This thread naturally caught my eye.
When i returned to the track in the afternoon one of the guys approached to give a few tips, and also asked if i had checked my tire pressure. Of course I gave the typical thumbs up, "yep I'm good" stupid response knowing I really had no idea when I'd checked tp last.
(checked this morning at 24F 28R, interesting how an experienced rider could spot that from the pit)
So back on to the topic of the thread, even with the variations of tires used, (I'm still running stock rubber, 4000Km) there is consistency where everyone seems to run higher pressure in the front and lower in the read, as compared to the recommended street (owners manual) 28f/32r
Much improvement in the afternoon, but I'm thinking maybe a little more pressure in front could be helpful.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Did my first track day yesterday, so you know where my head has been for the past 24+ hours. This thread naturally caught my eye.
When i returned to the track in the afternoon one of the guys approached to give a few tips, and also asked if i had checked my tire pressure. Of course I gave the typical thumbs up, "yep I'm good" stupid response knowing I really had no idea when I'd checked tp last.
(checked this morning at 24F 28R, interesting how an experienced rider could spot that from the pit)
So back on to the topic of the thread, even with the variations of tires used, (I'm still running stock rubber, 4000Km) there is consistency where everyone seems to run higher pressure in the front and lower in the read, as compared to the recommended street (owners manual) 28f/32r
Much improvement in the afternoon, but I'm thinking maybe a little more pressure in front could be helpful.
You need to be careful comparing tyre pressures as it really depends on whether it is a hot pressure for tyres warmed to 80 deg C with tyre warmers or a cold tyre pressure like the ones manufacturers post in the owners manual. SDM was quoting hot pressures.

You are correct in the observation though that for racing you generally run less pressure in the rear than the front, pretty much the opposite of street pressures.

Running a lower pressure increases the contact patch with the track giving you more grip to drive out of the corner. It also allows the tyre carcass to flex more which creates heat which softens the rubber providing more grip. Because I live in a cool climate we all run low rear tyre pressures at my local track. I've seen guys running 23 PSI.
'Cold tear' is a real issue on small displacement bikes as they dont have enough Horse Power to work the rear tyre enough to maintain heat. Wouldn't be an issue in the Philippines I'd imagine!

FWIW I run hot pressures of 30F/25R

·
Registered
44 Posts
You need to be careful comparing tyre pressures as it really depends on whether it is a hot pressure for tyres warmed to 80 deg C with tyre warmers or a cold tyre pressure like the ones manufacturers post in the owners manual. SDM was quoting hot pressures.
FWIW I run hot pressures of 30F/25R
Point taken, I'll need to check pressure when tires are hot to truly compare, particularly when my rear pressure cold was higher than yours when hot.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Point taken, I'll need to check pressure when tires are hot to truly compare, particularly when my rear pressure cold was higher than yours when hot.

Personally I don't think you should race that bike... Its way to pretty, take all the fairings off add some sliders and just race her naked... Or you can trade them to me and I'll send you my black ones.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Personally I don't think you should race that bike... Its way to pretty, take all the fairings off add some sliders and just race her naked... Or you can trade them to me and I'll send you my black ones.
Not any racing in my future. Just attempting to identify limits of rider and machine, before finding myself in the middle of a blind, decreasing radius turn, with a big pile of ??? in the road. (???= sand, water, leaves, tree limbs, road washout, sleeping dog, water buffalo, elephant dung, the last rider didn't, etc...)

Let me think on that offer. Swapping in a gloss black nose might make a sharp tri-color, but the kid's two tone is really growing on me. (Maybe I'll keep her the way she is; besides, I heard you loose 5 hp with that b-o-r-i-n-g black on black) :wink:

Always remember one simple trick to keep from scratching the paint:

"Don't fall down"

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
OEM tires 80-90F ambient. 26PSI front and rear. Both tires wore really well at auto club speedway. obviously this changes as depending on weight of the rider, track temp, how much you are utilizing the front tire vs the rear for turning, and tire brand.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts