Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Very significant improvement! Too bad you're not here on the east coast cuz I would've let you ride my bike. Guaranteed it's night and day difference from the mostly stock one you rode.
That would be great. By no means am I able to ride the bike to the limit, even in stock trim, but the stock front has almost no feel to it and rear shock leaves a lot to be desired with lean stability. Nevertheless it was a blast to ride.

What is amusing is the difference in speed perception. I feel like I going faster than I really am on the 400 vs going slower than I really am on my zx10r.

·
Director of Moderation
2,867 Posts
That would be great. By no means am I able to ride the bike to the limit, even in stock trim, but the stock front has almost no feel to it and rear shock leaves a lot to be desired with lean stability. Nevertheless it was a blast to ride.

What is amusing is the difference in speed perception. I feel like I going faster than I really am on the 400 vs going slower than I really am on my zx10r.
Yeah your corner speed will be faster on the 400, guaranteed. Especially once you have 2-3 days on it to really get a good feel for it and some better suspensions. At one of my local tracks (NCCAR, which is pretty twisty but it does have a long straight and another really fast section), the lap record for a 400 is less than 10 seconds from the outright lap record (set by Stefano Mesa on his ZX10). Similarly at NJMP, Rocco's 400 record is about 9-9.5 seconds off the outright lap record set by Beaubier. They are VERY capable bikes once you set them up, and a LOT of fun to race.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
It was supposed to be coming here but I think it tipped up due to not enough pre-orders.
Regardless of that the pricing was nearly twice that of the 400, so not a viable alterative to buying a 400 if that's what you were thinking.
And twice the spark plugs, twice the TBs to sync, all for less torch and more weight. I thoroughly enjoy whacking open my 4 cylinder FJR, butt a 4 cylinder 250 makes no sense to me. :unsure:

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
And twice the spark plugs, twice the TBs to sync, all for less torch and more weight. I thoroughly enjoy whacking open my 4 cylinder FJR, butt a 4 cylinder 250 makes no sense to me. :unsure:
You would have to be someone who enjoys revving a bike all of the time and likes using a gear box! I think it would be a tiring bike on a long inter-provincial ride. Fun for sports rides through the twisties and track days and posing around town lol.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Yeah, but does it have a 19k redline? lol

Yeah, that does look like a fun little ripper, but what's the price US? $10K? If yer look'in for a track bike, you wanta find something cheap that you won't care if you toss it down the track. (Ever try to insure a race/track bike?)
You could find a low mileage, used N400, re-work the suspension, get a full pipe, ECU flash, air cleaner 'n airbox mod, 'n have mo power, and more fun not worrying about tossing yer exotic down the road.
Really the only thing a ZXR250 is good for is hanging out at Alice's, or The Rock Store or where ever bikes congregate, 'n talk'in to peeps 'bout how cool yer bike is. And that's fine, if that's wut yer into, butt if'n I were gonna track a bike, I'd want sump'in cheap with lotsa used parts available. (y)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Ok. Finally found a decent deal around here. 2021 red ninja 400 no abs. Buying within the next 2 weeks.

Keeping my zx10r as a street bike and occasional track bike. I'll slowly be converting the 400 into a track weapon. Starting with ohlins rear and front once I get it. Kyle Racing around here always has good deals on ohlins.

·
Director of Moderation
2,867 Posts
Not yet but I really like what I see. I've got a set of replacement swingarm/rearset brackets started but this system looks real good with a good price as well.
Just keep in mind that they changed the bolt pattern for the rear sets. So if you crash and you break them you can't put on some Vortex or Woodcraft ones that are readily available at the track or anywhere else. Only Tyga will fit on the plates at that point. I was intrigued by these as well when I first saw them, but opted to go with the tried-and-true common brands that everyone has. It's helpful when you have a mishap especially early on in the weekend. Almost everyone I know in the paddock with a 400 uses either Vortex or Woodcraft so can all help each other with spare parts when needed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just keep in mind that they changed the bolt pattern for the rear sets. So if you crash and you break them you can't put on some Vortex or Woodcraft ones that are readily available at the track or anywhere else. Only Tyga will fit on the plates at that point. I was intrigued by these as well when I first saw them, but opted to go with the tried-and-true common brands that everyone has. It's helpful when you have a mishap especially early on in the weekend. Almost everyone I know in the paddock with a 400 uses either Vortex or Woodcraft so can all help each other with spare parts when needed.
Good to know, looks like I will be finishing mine then.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
It’s pretty much a given that if you have non folding pegs and drop the bike the original steel peg mounting plates are going to bend. I wonder how the Tyga aluminum plates hold up to crashing?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
So you're saying I should get the Tyga? lol

41 - 60 of 98 Posts