Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Director of Moderation
1,994 Posts
Race fairings will align without any issues?
No. The Z doesn't have a front fairing stay. The dash is mounted differently. If you intend on this being for the track, don't get a Z. You'll end up spending more money trying to make things work for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No. The Z doesn't have a front fairing stay. The dash is mounted differently. If you intend on this being for the track, don't get a Z. You'll end up spending more money trying to make things work for it.
Cool. Just what I needed to know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I basically did the same thing... I own an RC8R and decided to go back to basics for a few reasons. I bought a new 2019 N400. If you are a bigger dude and ride hard at all the clutch will go quick. I lost mine at just under 200 miles. Norton’s compiled kit was easy and it works great. I didn’t do the modified shift arm, but did everything else (I had no false neutral issues).

I did clip-ons, a rear set, and a wind screen and went at it. Fun bike. Lost the clutch, did the clutch. Now it is solid. I’m going to Buttonwillow again on October 26th.

Hopefully I’ll have my RGV250 ready too, it will be fresh off a 20 year-old rebuild so I have no clue if it will last a day out there. Better to bring both. Haha

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I basically did the same thing... I own an RC8R and decided to go back to basics for a few reasons. I bought a new 2019 N400. If you are a bigger dude and ride hard at all the clutch will go quick. I lost mine at just under 200 miles. Norton’s compiled kit was easy and it works great. I didn’t do the modified shift arm, but did everything else (I had no false neutral issues).

I did clip-ons, a rear set, and a wind screen and went at it. Fun bike. Lost the clutch, did the clutch. Now it is solid. I’m going to Buttonwillow again on October 26th.

Hopefully I’ll have my RGV250 ready too, it will be fresh off a 20 year-old rebuild so I have no clue if it will last a day out there. Better to bring both. Haha
I see a lot of riders going back to the little bikes. I want to do it because its the only I see myself making faster progress technique/ lap times and a better way to get into club racing.

·
Director of Moderation
1,994 Posts
I see a lot of riders going back to the little bikes. I want to do it because its the only I see myself making faster progress technique/ lap times and a better way to get into club racing.
That's exactly what I did. I spent 4 years on a Ducati 1198 and made very slow progress. Stepped down to a ZX6R and a CBR500 and I went instantly faster on the ZX6R than I had done on the Ducati and riding it along with the 500 every time I went to the track helped me drop significant time off my lap times of both bikes. Since then I've had some other bikes, but always had a little bike (R3, and now a ninja 400) and continued to get faster. This year I'm at my best ever, although I do feel like I've reached a plateau again and haven't really improved anymore in the last few months. Hence I plan on getting back on a ZX6R and see how I stack up on the 600s, but I will still keep the 400. It's such a fun bike.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
The N400/Z400 is such a great platform; inexpensive, lots of available support/products, and it just amazes me how quick it turns, yet is so stable at triple digits too. (y)
That's exactly what I did. I spent 4 years on a Ducati 1198 and made very slow progress. Stepped down to a ZX6R and a CBR500 and I went instantly faster on the ZX6R than I had done on the Ducati and riding it along with the 500 every time I went to the track helped me drop significant time off my lap times of both bikes. Since then I've had some other bikes, but always had a little bike (R3, and now a ninja 400) and continued to get faster. This year I'm at my best ever, although I do feel like I've reached a plateau again and haven't really improved anymore in the last few months. Hence I plan on getting back on a ZX6R and see how I stack up on the 600s, but I will still keep the 400. It's such a fun bike.
The trouble with track'in an 1198 is the price of a get off. If you toss an N400 down the track who cares,
butt an 1198 is some crazy dead presidents!

·
Director of Moderation
1,994 Posts
The N400/Z400 is such a great platform; inexpensive, lots of available support/products, and it just amazes me how quick it turns, yet is so stable at triple digits too. (y)

The trouble with track'in an 1198 is the price of a get off. If you toss an N400 down the track who cares,
butt an 1198 is some crazy dead presidents!
That's why it turned into a track bike after I crashed it at the track at the end of my first season lol OEM fairings were crazy expensive, so it became a track bike because it was much cheaper to do that instead of fixing the way it was before. Would've been something north of $4000 to put it back in the shape it was before, but only like $1200 to make it a track bike with rattle can paint job by yours truly! lol

What can I say...I was 22 when I got it. Young, dumb and full of....well you know the rest :) Financially, getting that bike was a stupid decision. Had I known then what I know now, I would've never got it. But at the same time I can't say I really regret it because that's the bike that started this crazy hobby for me. That's how I got into track days, then racing, and met a ton of great like-minded people then. All of which stemmed from walking into that Ducati dealership to buy that bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Greetings. I have a fairly well setup
(For me) 2020 Ninja 400 and it truly is a real sport bike without the top end if you prep it right. I have K Tech front cartridges, Ohlins rear shock with reservoir, Akra header with generic slip on, flash tune. I also have steel brake lines, Motul 600 and aggressive pads F/R. Oh and some 2 finger levers. Now It’s absolutely as much fun and I can ride it just as hard as my 2015 6R. I’m learning A LOT on that little Kawi. You will too. Have fun and be safe. If you want any more details feel free to ask!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Going to some dealers today. Looking for a non-abs. What have you all been paying OTD?

·
Registered
60 Posts
About $6000 otd for a 2020 with abs. I’m in south Florida where the dealers are only willing to negotiate so much. Now that the 21s are coming, you might be able to get a better deal on a 20. Some people here have paid as low as $4500 from what I’ve seen. Depends on where you are really.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
About $6000 otd for a 2020 with abs. I’m in south Florida where the dealers are only willing to negotiate so much. Now that the 21s are coming, you might be able to get a better deal on a 20. Some people here have paid as low as $4500 from what I’ve seen. Depends on where you are really.
That's not bad. I'll see what quotes I get. Getting a leftover 2020 would be great.

·
Director of Moderation
1,994 Posts
Going to some dealers today. Looking for a non-abs. What have you all been paying OTD?
Lowest I've seen around here was about $3700-3800, but were leftovers from previous year. That's pretty good cuz I paid like $3400 for my salvage crashed bike with 400 miles in 2018.

Have you rode one yet? You said you were going to rent one at a track day one of these days, right?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Lowest I've seen around here was about $3700-3800, but were leftovers from previous year. That's pretty good cuz I paid like $3400 for my salvage crashed bike with 400 miles in 2018.

Have you rode one yet? You said you were going to rent one at a track day one of these days, right?
I haven't yet but I did own a 300. I'm expecting it to feel similar with slightly more power. What sucks about buying here in California is the 9.250% tax slapped on top of it. I wonder if I can buy out of states without registering it since it'll be a track only bike.

·
Director of Moderation
1,994 Posts
I haven't yet but I did own a 300. I'm expecting it to feel similar with slightly more power. What sucks about buying here in California is the 9.250% tax slapped on top of it. I wonder if I can buy out of states without registering it since it'll be a track only bike.
Should be able to. That's what some people do around here as well since Virginia and a few other states nearby are the type that add the taxes and registration fees at the dealer, but other states don't. In Nebraska for example, where I lived before, the taxes and registration are paid at the DMV when you go to register it. But if it's never going to be ridden on public roads, you don't need to register it.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Yeah, as long as you aren't gonna register fer the street you can, or if it has over 7,500, mi. then you can register it fer the street too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Finally got to test it out at Thunderhill East. It feels nearly identical to the Ninja 300 with a slight improvement in acceleration. I like it.

My bike had all stock suspension and all the other ones had gsxr rear shocks lol. I didn't mind but I've never ridden a small ninja with "better" suspension. I wonder how much improvement there is in feel is with upgraded components.

·
Director of Moderation
1,994 Posts
Finally got to test it out at Thunderhill East. It feels nearly identical to the Ninja 300 with a slight improvement in acceleration. I like it.

My bike had all stock suspension and all the other ones had gsxr rear shocks lol. I didn't mind but I've never ridden a small ninja with "better" suspension. I wonder how much improvement there is in feel is with upgraded components.
Very significant improvement! Too bad you're not here on the east coast cuz I would've let you ride my bike. Guaranteed it's night and day difference from the mostly stock one you rode.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts