Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Administrator
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you can share a few things about your ownership of the 2018+ Kawasaki Ninja 400, what would it be? The most liked or hated, share them with every one I am sure you won't be the only one. :wink:

·
Registered
764 Posts
love: Looks perfect, very smooth under 5k rpm, dual led lights, good on fuel, love the new sparkle paint job, high quality feel, lcd/dash looks really nice, love the avg fuel per km, 160 tire fits perfectly, love the start up sound.

Hate: a lot of vibration over 5k rpm, wish handle bars where lower, stock exhaust is a joke, stock rear fender is bigger than my dreams, stock mirrors are way to far out, rear set is a little to high, lcd dash could be brighter, engine temp level is bs and fan only kick on when in the second last or last box..

·
Registered
84 Posts
I love just about every thing on Ninja 400. Excellent handling, helped by light weight, very good throttle response, good riding ergonomics for 5'7" rider and excellent engine power are among what I love about my Ninja 400. I have not ridden it fast enough and brake hard enough to notice what other reviewers have complained about. Price is very competitive. A motorcycle a beginer cyclist can start with, and satisfy even an experienced rider.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Since I only have 52 miles I mine, I don't have a lot to post on this, yet. :smile:

But, to me, the clutch pull is too light. I don't really feel the engagement too much, nor is there much feel for modulation. I think some heavier springs will be in my future.

Power and handling seem great, thus far, in comparison to the 300. I am going to post a full review/comparison in the future; I still have my stock 300, with only 600 or so miles on it.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Since I only have 52 miles I mine, I don't have a lot to post on this, yet. :smile:

But, to me, the clutch pull is too light. I don't really feel the engagement too much, nor is there much feel for modulation. I think some heavier springs will be in my future.

Power and handling seem great, thus far, in comparison to the 300. I am going to post a full review/comparison in the future; I still have my stock 300, with only 600 or so miles on it.
Yes I agree regarding the clutch. Whilst the assist clutch is nice and light it removes that feel of the take up and I'm not sure if you would get that back with heavier springs. You may still have that remote feeling with a harder pull. It feels a bit like a hydraulic clutch.

I also found the ride had a remote feeling to it as well compared to my old CBR. When I was cranked over it was hard to tell how much I was pushing it. Not so much of a criticism just an observation and something I may have to get used to. I had a buddy ride it on the wkd and he commented on it also. It turns in really nicely though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I love the headlights. I made a 70 mile ride home last night in the dark and those LED headlights are incredible. I also like that it's got lights on both sides for the low-beam lights unlike some of the bigger bikes that only have one for each beam setting - I think it definitely helps with visibility.

I also love the engine breaking on this thing. Granted this is my first sport bike, but the cruisers I've had definitely don't compare in this category. I hardly have to use my brakes if I can time it right. That's also what I hate most about it though - because it's super jerky at lower speeds because the factory recommendation for throttle play is ridiculous. I'll be tightening that up today. I've also heard that's typical of sport bikes and you just have to feather it more with the clutch to avoid that. So yeah.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Hate is a strong word but I'm finding I dislike the way the pillion seat is removed and refitted. The engineering of it basically, or rather a lack of.
I use the small compartment a lot for stashing warmer gloves or tools on a long rid etc. I've cut the plastic lugs away to give me more room in there and got rid of the dividing tray completely.

Admittedly I'm comparing with previous bikes here but for a start the key lock on mine feels cheap and 'grabby' not smooth at all.
At this stage (after turning the key) on a lot of bikes the seat pops up, but not this one.
The sliding forward to release bit is OK but getting it back in again easily and quickly is a faff. It doesn't line up easily. Then sometimes you have to hit it hard to get it to sit back down in the key latch.

Room for improvement there. But hey I'm an engineer and fussy about stuff like that. It's minor stuff at the end of the day.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hate is a strong word but I'm finding I dislike the way the pillion seat is removed and refitted. The engineering of it basically, or lack of. I use the small compartment a lot for warmer gloves or tools on a long ride etc. I've cut the plastic lugs away to give me more room in there and got ride of the dividing tray completely.

Admittedly I'm comparing with previous bikes here but for a start the key lock on mine feels cheap and 'grabby' not smooth at all.
At this stage (after turning the key) on a lot of bikes the seat pops up, but not this one.
The sliding forward to release bit is OK but getting it back in again easily and quickly is a faff. It doesn't line up easily. Then sometimes you have to hit it hard to get it to sit back down in the key latch.

Room for improvement there. But hey I'm an engineer and fussy about stuff like that. It's minor stuff at the end of the day.
The first time I took off the pillion seat and tried to pop it back in, there was a lot of frustration and it literally took me 10-15 mins before I could do it. I automatically assumed I was doing something wrong and user error on my part. This is my first bike with a pillion seat. I dread taking it off not knowing if it's going to be a pain to pop back in. Now it only takes me anywhere from 10 secs to a min so an improvement but it still sucks. :) This is definitely my least favorite on the bike.

Likes: smooth shifting, gear indicator (never had one before), light and flickable, light clutch

Other Dislikes: windscreen does not provide much wind protection over 60 mph, front brake feels spongy, sound of stock exhaust is less than appealing, seat is not too comfortable

Overall I really love this bike and all my dislikes can be addressed with aftermarket.

Reactions: Kiwi Rider

·
Registered
146 Posts
This. I also get scared of it scratching while locking it back to place. but my #1 dislike is still the exhaust, idk why, but its a turnoff for sure lol.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
I love the fact that it has threaded mounts on the bottom of the swing arm for bobbins. This the first road bike I've bought that has this feature.
I got my bobbins in the mail today and screwed them on. Would have taken a photo but it was getting dark and I dont have lighting in my garage yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've taken the bike out for a few spins.

The front seat is decidedly uncomfortable, but narrow at the front which helps with close-in hugging of the tank. The foam on the 400 is much harder than the 250 or even 300 seat pan. I have a 29 inch inseam and can at least put a toe down on either side with heeled boots on.

·
Registered
764 Posts
seat by far is the worst part, brakes are not the best they have a good bite but you have to press hard to get that bite. What I like is the heat direction, literally no heat near your legs or anyway probably the only bike I rode that has no heat feeling anywhere, Engine gets smoother with time, aka after 1500km its like a different bike, love the styling, also never knew how much I needed a fuel remaining in km meter to be shown haha, and love the agility, so light but yet very stable.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like almost everything about the bike, it's extremely nimble and looks great. I think Kawasaki made an excellent decision going with a 400, I've been riding larger bikes for a while and was looking for something lighter and more fun - a 300 just wouldn't have made that transition comfortable but I feel this is excellent middle ground.

I've fixed most of what I disliked, like the rear fender and amber reflectors. Next will be the exhaust.

As others have said the seat is hard but I'm sure it's going to improve. If not, it's a simple fix.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Not just you, I'm pretty happy with the seat as well. I mean, its not meant to be a touring bike... Its very easy to reposition yourself for turns, really facilitates changing body position quickly while remaining reasonably comfortable on the straights. Its a pretty good balance IMO.

At 5’8 and about 185lbs I find the seat pretty comfy. I guess it’s just me the though.

Reactions: ryanemm

·
Registered
65 Posts
Honestly, coming from a 2008 ninja 250 that the previous owner had modified and not really taken care of, I don't know that there's anything that I'd really complain about. This bike is better than my previous one in every way.

That said, I'll still probably change the exhaust eventually. Dont get me wrong, I don't mind the exhaust sound, but it definitely doesn't do the bike any favors as far as making it sound powerful goes. As far as spacing goes, my foot fits perfectly without knocking into the exhaust (about a size 9.5 US)

I don't actually find the seat uncomfortable, but I haven't made any long distance rides. The only issues I've had with seating are boxers riding up and giving wedgies, and smashing some sensitive things into the tank.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts