Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

What sort of OBD2 realtime display would you like to see?

932 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  misnblu 
#1 ·
I've been tinkering with OBD2 stuff again. I'm trying to come up with the "best" display for our bikes. There's not a whole lot of data exposed to us though. Here are the PIDs that the ECU reports as being supported:
Code:
Monitor status since DTCs cleared
Fuel system status
Engine load calculated in %
Temperature of the engine coolant in °C
Short-term fuel % trim bank 1
Long-term fuel % trim bank 1
Intake manifold absolute pressure in kPa
Engine speed in RPM
Vehicle speed in kph
Timing advance on cylinder 1 in degrees
Intake air temperature in °C
Absolute Throttle position in %
Status of the secondary air intake circuit
OBD computer specification
Distance travelled with MIL on in kms
Relative throttle position in %
A number of those things are good to know for tuning, but would be a lot more useful in a recorded log as opposed to just seeing the value on your dash as you ride around. Other than very specific test cases (probably after analyzing recorded data), they would probably just be neat to watch and nothing more. Speed and RPM are already shown on the dash. Depending on the precision and how quickly it updates, a digital tach might be of some use.

The big thing seems to be precise coolant temp, since the stock dash only has a few bars to show that. Intake temp could be handy too, even if it ends up being not much more than an ambient thermometer (I haven't actually looked at IATs while riding yet). Other than that, I'm not sure there's really much to add to a regular dashboard.

I really like the simple, clean look of this one. The downside is that it can only display one thing at a time. But if you basically only have one thing to show (e.g. coolant temp), then a single display is fine. If you don't have to switch between different views, that means you also don't have to add buttons and circuitry for the switching stuff, keeping the whole thing that much simpler.

If you want to show a few things, this is a pretty simple display.

So what are your thoughts? What values would you like to see? What type of display would you prefer? Do you want a screen that shows several values at a time, and you can page through every sensor available? Do you want one that's nothing more than a digital coolant temp gauge?

I'm not sure if I could ever get this to the point of being cheap and good/reliable enough to actually sell it as a product, but it's definitely an option if I get there. But I figured I'd at least get some input from others, to make sure I'm not overlooking something, and to see if it's even realistic to think about going down that path. I'm anal about stuff, so I'd have to make it perfect to actually turn it into a finished product that I would sell. Once I get it to the point where I'm happy with it for my own use, I'd be willing to work with people as a custom/DIY/tinkering sort of thing though, even if I never make to a full "finished product" that I'd want to put out on the market.

See less See more
#2 ·
Out of experience with these devices in the automotive world there are the standard 2" round gauge pod variants that can display 2 readings simultaneously and with the push of a button change the display for another 2 different readings.

Theres also a a brand that can display up to 8 readings from the obd port like the one I use in my car to give me the readings I feel are necessary.

The only issue is that neither are water proof and made for the outdoors. I'm thinking that would be the biggest setback to what you're doing and having enough displayed readings to make it a feasible product.

I'm a gauge geek and my drag/ street car was akin to an airplane cockpit as everyone that had seen it used to say.
So yeah some kind of gauge would be great to have for the bike as long as there's a way to get what each rider needs to see as important for said gauge. 👍

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.