Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1941 - 1960 of 1985 Posts

· Registered
198 Posts
Ok, solid night. Ecu back in the bike. Airbox cut to flow more air. Not pretty but it’ll do. Race filter and velocity stacks installed. Airbox wrestled back into the bike. There’s one breather hose in the back that is impossibly short and it took me at least forever to get that in. Called it a night. Just need to install the tank and then can see if it starts and hear that new pipe.

· Registered
681 Posts
Ok, solid night. Ecu back in the bike. Airbox cut to flow more air. Not pretty but it’ll do. Race filter and velocity stacks installed. Airbox wrestled back into the bike. There’s one breather hose in the back that is impossibly short and it took me at least forever to get that in. Called it a night. Just need to install the tank and then can see if it starts and hear that new pipe.
If you are talking about the large hose in the rear, it is easier to pull and put back on from the crankcase side.
Leave it attached at the airbox whenever you pull it, and just fish your hand in from the left side of the bike to re-install at the crankcase.
What flash/stacks?

· Registered
198 Posts
If you are talking about the large hose in the rear, it is easier to pull and put back on from the crankcase side.
Leave it attached at the airbox whenever you pull it, and just fish your hand in from the left side of the bike to re-install at the crankcase.
What flash/stacks?
that makes a ton of sense and I promise I will give that a go the next time, thank you. That was ridiculous to try to get back onto the box while not bumping into the fragile fuel rail. All worked out, but your way sounds much better. Norton Flash and Stacks.

· Registered
681 Posts
that makes a ton of sense and I promise I will give that a go the next time, thank you. That was ridiculous to try to get back onto the box while not bumping into the fragile fuel rail. All worked out, but your way sounds much better. Norton Flash and Stacks.
I am running a different set up, but I have heard nothing but positive reviews of the Norton package.
Your bike is fixing to wake up above 9k.

· Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, reformed squid rider 😂🐙
1,256 Posts
The Christmas freeze that hit the States hard also hit the Gulf Coast pretty hard as well with 21 degree temperatures common place.
My poor bike had zero antifreeze while sitting in storage and thanks to my best bud of 30 years he was able drain the radiator fluid just before the big freeze set it. 🙏🏽

Now that I'm home I thought I'd change A couple of things in the coolant department of the bike.
First was getting rid of the OEM coolant overflow tank as it sits literally on top of the radiator cap making removing the cap an arduous task that has no business slowing down your best bud trying to remove the cap with full bodywork in the bike. 🫣🤬😖

Problem solved. 😁
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Automotive tire

I also decided since the bike was down to the frame I'd add a better radiator from the guys at SCR racing out of Florida that offers a 40% more flow rate and a perfect fit.
Even the radiator guard fit but I had to use tie wraps to fasten it down.
Grille Automotive radiator part Hood Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Throttle spring installed and a very worthy mod for the R6 throttle tube. 👍
Cleaned up the bike from all the rain muck trailering the bike back in Ictober.
Still have to replace the shifter lever which is todays project.
Weathers been perfect and again no seat time because I'm constantly working on the bike that seems endless. 😭😩

One day it'll happen. 🥺

Attachments

· Registered
40 Posts
Installed the rear fender eliminator from Vagabond. There are some nice options out there (STS ... ) but I liked this one because you can reuse your stock turns and license plate light, which I have no problem with. And I actually like the stock license plate light better than some of the aftermarket ones. It's just a bent plate of lasered aluminum (or steel?) but it's done nice and the instructions were great. Recommend.

Link: Kawasaki Ninja 400 (2018+) / Kawasaki Z400 (2019+) Fender Eliminator - Vagabond Motorsports

Before:
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle tire

After:
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Wheel

Attachments

· Registered
40 Posts
Installed the rear fender eliminator from Vagabond. There are some nice options out there (STS ... ) but I liked this one because you can reuse your stock turns and license plate light, which I have no problem with. And I actually like the stock license plate light better than some of the aftermarket ones. It's just a bent plate of lasered aluminum (or steel?) but it's done nice and the instructions were great. Recommend.

Before:
View attachment 26987

View attachment 26985
View attachment 26986

After:
View attachment 26988
View attachment 26989

· Registered
2,444 Posts
Nothing much, it’s been raining alot in California so I haven’t been riding, hopefully we get some sun back soon. I’m itching to ride…
I'm hoping this will at least take the edge off the multi-year drought y'all been having. The last time I was in Cali, things were looking like burnt toast.

· Registered
690 Posts

Link: Kawasaki Ninja 400 (2018+) / Kawasaki Z400 (2019+) Fender Eliminator - Vagabond Motorsports

Before:
View attachment 26987

View attachment 26985
View attachment 26986

After:
View attachment 26988
View attachment 26989
This was my choice also because it's made in the USA and the how to video was well made. I watched it a bunch of times so when it arrived, install was easy. I would have felt guilty using Vagabond's video to install a cheap version. .......Nice tires!!!

· Registered
2023 Ninja 400
45 Posts
What did you put ptfe tape on? Also, white looks good on these lil buggers.
It's an easy colour to make look clean. I was thinking about wrapping it, but white is good for now.

You can see the PTFE tape in this pic. It's on the faces of the throttle tube, the bar, and some inside the throttle housing. I also put some on the lever pivots to reduce the play. Basically anywhere that makes contact and can cause friction.

It's easy enough to lay and cut it with a razor-blade, though a good art knife would be best. The sides to like to curl if you stretch it at all.

I saw some guys talking about Rulon bearing tape on here, but I couldn't find any that was reasonably priced or easy to get access to. Eventually found the 3M and got it from Digikey.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive exhaust Gas

· Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, reformed squid rider 😂🐙
1,256 Posts
Finally got the bike ready to ride again after a hectic week tearing it down , seeing some broken pieces along with a bent tab or two, and getting it all back together again so I can actually ride again. 😂🤦🏻

The high flow radiator is sweet and the bike never got past 4 bars when letting it idle for 30 minutes testing out the new coolant, water wetter, and distilled water mix.

I went back with the green glycol coolant but did a custom mix to have enough coolant to go to only 10 degrees with my 20/ 80 coolant to water mix.
Had the fan come on several times while idling to ensure all was good with no leaks or air pockets in the system. 👍

I also replaced my broken shifter thanks to @Pmack for having a spare and readjusted it for better ergo and easier shifting. 😁

The bike is cleaned up once more to new condition albeit for a few character adding scuffs from my fall back in October.
The pearl yellow side vents had to be thrown out as the right side broke from me hitting it from my foot on the fall and the left was scratched up badly as well so back to the OEM silver vents until I can source the yellow vents once more.

I added the db killer to the muffler to quell some of the volume and actually like it. It's still loud but not obnoxiously so. 😉

All in all I'm happy it's done and rideable once more but another 4-5 weeks must pass and I'll be a newb all over again. 😂🫣
A couple of pics for ya and she sleeps until I get home. 🥰

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Sky Automotive lighting

1941 - 1960 of 1985 Posts