Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1861 - 1880 of 1921 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Started prepping 3 bikes for a track day on Saturday.
An Aprilia RS660 and two 400s.
I am going to ride the Aprilia(at least the first few sessions) and loan a buddy of mine my 400. Prepping wife's 400 for her first track day too.
From the seat time so far I think the 400 will be better for me at Polecat. I will just boot my buddy off the 400 and put him on the 600 if thats how it works out!
I installed new Vesrah RJL brake pads on both 400s, checked wheel bearings, cleaned and lubed chains, pulled mirrors, still have to tape lights, etc.
We took the 400s out to bed in brake pads before pulling mirrors.
The Vesrah RJL pads are probably one of the better bang for the buck braking upgrades you can make to a stock 400.
Big difference in power and feel.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I put shorty levers on my Ninja last year and never did like how close to the grip the front brake lever came before getting max braking so yesterday I wandered over to the neighbor's garage and after shooting the bull for a bit I borrowed a short piece of old washing machine hose. It took some grunting and pushing, a bit of warming from a propane torch, and WD40 but I got a section of hose shoved onto the brake lever. That little bit of added bulk under my 2 fingers helps give me better feel and a bit more squeeze.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I put shorty levers on my Ninja last year and never did like how close to the grip the front brake lever came before getting max braking so yesterday I wandered over to the neighbor's garage and after shooting the bull for a bit I borrowed a short piece of old washing machine hose. It took some grunting and pushing, a bit of warming from a propane torch, and WD40 but I got a section of hose shoved onto the brake lever. That little bit of added bulk under my 2 fingers helps give me better feel and a bit more squeeze.
So. Ya added some girth eh?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I installed the Norton clutch cable helper spring yesterday and went for a ride today. Installation was a PITA because I couldn't get easy access to the engine end of the cable(N400 not Z400) and I had to finally pull the threaded adjuster out of the clutch cover perch because with it in place I couldn't get enough angle in the wire to slip the cable end in/out of the fitting on the lever. I did have the cable out at the hand lever, but that wasn't enough extra slack. The forward jam nut is about half under the side fairing panel, so hopefully people with a Z will have an easier time.

After doing a rough adjustment I had about 5 or 6 instances of "wow, this thing just isn't getting properly adjusted even though it should be fine" where when I went into 1st gear from neutral the engine just lurched and died, as though the clutch lever hadn't been pulled. Finally I had a "Doh!" moment and realized "oh yeah, this is a modern bike with the side stand interlock switch, maybe if I raise the stand . . .". Yes, it is nice to not crash from riding off with the stand down, but some of this modern stuff is really annoying.

It does seem to be a bit nicer feel to the clutch lever with the extra spring pressure on the cable. For $10, it is hard to go wrong, other than installation being a bit fiddly.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Pulled the exhaust, airbox, TST tuned ECU, @b0Xcrash velocity stacks off of my 2019 bike and transferred to my wife's bike(pulled all of her stock parts off too).
Took the stock GPR300 tires off the 2022, and installed on my 2019 green bike. Changed her bikes oil too, while I was there changing exhaust anyway.
I still have to pull the Andreani cartridges, GSXR shock, and Woodcraft clip ons off of the old bike before I pass it to the new owner.
My nephew is the new owner of the 2019, he is upgrading from a CBR 250.
I want to do a track day in a couple of weeks, so I am going to have to put some miles on this 2022 and get the first service done.
I also have to send the ECU off for a tune, install header, install modded airbox and stacks, flip the shock mount, install Andreani's, GSXR shock, and I am going to change the gearing.
I also have to do the clutch/shifter mods.
IF I get that finished in time, I am going to Barber or Polecat on the 16th. If not, it will be Jennings on the weekend before Halloween.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just crossed 13000 Miles on my 2021 commuter going to work today. Bought it in the middle of May this year with 2127 miles on the clock. I ride the [email protected] outta this bike. Needs a new clutch pack but that can wait for a few days.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Rode in very windy weather with 50 km/h gusts. I avoided the highway and almost got swiped off one of the country roads around here, in a curve in an open field. I was even slowed down to about 40 km/h and still felt like I was being swiped toward the ditch. My ride / no ride decision making process may be in need of a revision :).

Meanwhile, does anyone know what the value of estimated wind gusts is based on? Is an absolute value or is it relative to the estimated average wind speed? I tried reading up on that but still it is not clear to me what the basis is.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ordered the Allballs tapered steering head bearings, 2011+ GSXR rear shock, Barnetts clutch plates, and Road 5 tires for when its down for a week or so during Christmas break. Replacing front fork fluid, adjusting clutch and throttle cables, cleaning the chain and adjusting it, and routing my heated gear wiring to somewhere it doesnt look like a hack job coming from under the seat (probably the most difficult thing on this list). Gotta freshen her up for another year of 800 mile per week abuse. This thing is actually kinda fun to wrench on.

1861 - 1880 of 1921 Posts