Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1581 - 1600 of 1619 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
I just got new tires, a pair of Michelin Road 5s. Handling is amazing, right off the dealer I noticed that the bike just turns now with the slightest input. I don't know if it is because I got used to the bald spot on the old tires or the new ones handle much better or because my wallet is so much lighter now but the bike is really flick-able.

I may be wrong, but I remember a discussion here about whether modern tires have wax on them. According to the dealer, they do and they recommend that I take it easy for the first 150 km.

PS: The wax is so the tires do not dry out prematurely, while in storage.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I just got new tires, a pair of Michelin Road 5s. Handling is amazing, right off the dealer I noticed that the bike just turns now with the slightest input. I don't know if it is because I got used to the bald spot on the old tires or the new ones handle much better or because my wallet is so much lighter now but the bike is really flick-able.

I may be wrong, but I remember a discussion here about whether modern tires have wax on them. According to the dealer, they do and they recommend that I take it easy for the first 150 km.

PS: The wax is so the tires do not dry out prematurely, while in storage.
You are really gonna like the road 5's
🐉

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Teorist. Here's a short article on 'tire break-in' if your interested. It was published in 2014, but it's content is still valid with 'new and better versions'.
How to break in new motorcycle tyres - Motorbike Writer

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I spent the day with Ms. Noire, and now it's cocktail hour. :sneaky:

Well it was supposed to be New Tire Day. Didn't happen. :mad:

I started out replacing my Scottoiler, which had died on my Lake Michigan 1000. This had been transferred from my old bike, and had provided good service in about 23 states, so I'm not entirely disappointed even though it should have lasted longer. As long as I had the fairings off, I checked the stuff I know to check, rationalized the wiring on my gadgets as they had been installed over time, and then went for a test ride. When I returned home, I had a message from the dealer that my front tire hadn't arrived, and that they had checked alternate suppliers who were also out of stock. Pththth! They were Michelin Road 5s. Just in case it would prove to be an issue getting the front tire, I updated my research and armed myself with a list of substitutes I'd be willing to try.

Then we were off to the dealer to get an oil change and discuss the tire situation. I like having pros look over the bike every now and then, but really should do my own oil more often. It turns out there's a recall on my front wheel speed sensor harness, so that was ordered. More :(!

The parts desk guy was generous with his time, and explained that their supplier had given them a delivery date based on a predicted arrival at their warehouse. The new delivery date for the front tire was also based on a promise instead of actual inventory. We went through my tire list while checking the supplier's on-hand inventory, and found that the only complete set in stock that was on my list was the Metzeler Sportec M9 RR. So we ordered it and set a new date for the tires and the front harness thing.

This will be my first time with Metzelers, but I've a friend who has been very loyal to that brand, and he goes through a lot of tires.

My expectation was that Ninjette Noire would be good to roam the continent again by this time today. Now, maybe I plan a trip that won't tax the remaining life in my OEM tires. Hmm, maybe if I take Ninjette to visit the Dragon, her tires will once again become rounded instead of flat?!? o_O

Edit: Just for fun, I checked the price and availability for the Sportec M9 RR at Revzilla. They are out in our size, and about $30 more for the pair.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I spent the day with Ms. Noire, and now it's cocktail hour. :sneaky:

Well it was supposed to be New Tire Day. Didn't happen. :mad:

I started out replacing my Scottoiler, which had died on my Lake Michigan 1000. This had been transferred from my old bike, and had provided good service in about 23 states, so I'm not entirely disappointed even though it should have lasted longer. As long as I had the fairings off, I checked the stuff I know to check, rationalized the wiring on my gadgets as they had been installed over time, and then went for a test ride. When I returned home, I had a message from the dealer that my front tire hadn't arrived, and that they had checked alternate suppliers who were also out of stock. Pththth! They were Michelin Road 5s. Just in case it would prove to be an issue getting the front tire, I updated my research and armed myself with a list of substitutes I'd be willing to try.

Then we were off to the dealer to get an oil change and discuss the tire situation. I like having pros look over the bike every now and then, but really should do my own oil more often. It turns out there's a recall on my front wheel speed sensor harness, so that was ordered. More :(!

The parts desk guy was generous with his time, and explained that their supplier had given them a delivery date based on a predicted arrival at their warehouse. The new delivery date for the front tire was also based on a promise instead of actual inventory. We went through my tire list while checking the supplier's on-hand inventory, and found that the only complete set in stock that was on my list was the Metzeler Sportec M9 RR. So we ordered it and set a new date for the tires and the front harness thing.

This will be my first time with Metzelers, but I've a friend who has been very loyal to that brand, and he goes through a lot of tires.

My expectation was that Ninjette Noire would be good to roam the continent again by this time today. Now, maybe I plan a trip that won't tax the remaining life in my OEM tires. Hmm, maybe if I take Ninjette to visit the Dragon, her tires will once again become rounded instead of flat?!? o_O
Like I've said before....come on down!! I'll show ya the good roads. SCNinja400 has already reached out to me for another run at it.
🐉

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Come on down this way Baxter. You and Tracy be sure to ride into NC for a while. Fuel up, have a meal or 2, an adult beverage or 2, and stay for a night or 2. We need all the tax revenue we can muster. (y)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
No, certainly not a Government Official. Although, when I was much younger, I did get to 'work' for the State of NC for just under 9 months. :rolleyes:
I just figure, TN gets enough revenue from it's tourist industry and higher sales tax.. why not share some with NC.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Ninjette Noire enjoyed talking me to a fun, hilly and forested area north of Milwaukee today. I'm liking that Wisconsin is still very green compared to the brown that my old home in North Dakota typically is at this time of year.

Reactions: giangina

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That is sweet! How far out of Milwaukee is that?
ZZ 🐉
Not very far for me at all. I live in the north suburbs, so it's only about 5 or 10 miles before I reach less congested roads. Several of the pics were from about 40 miles away. It's really easy to reach some uncongested riding to my north and west, but heading south either involves congested traffic or a very circuitous route to avoid going through town. Construction season is in full swing, and I like good roads so I know that I should be patient with it, but I'm also avoiding the larger projects on the interstates to the south and west during the work week.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Ninjette Noire enjoyed her first New Tire Day yesterday! 11052 miles from the stock tires was pretty good. But Ninjette wanted an upgrade.

The Michelin Road 5 tires I chose first were unobtainable as previously mentioned (I'd liked the 2 & 4 on previous bikes), so I'm trying the Metzeler Sportec M9 RR based on a BMW fanatic friend's good experience with that brand. I'll scrub them in today, and we'll be free to hoon around the continent again.

A wiring harness for the ABS system was also under recall, and that work was also completed.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Currently I have Sportec M7,let me have Your opinion on M9,Baxter,thanks
I have a little over 130 miles (210 kilometers) on them so far. They scrubbed in readily. And they feel really good in curves, but that might just be because they have a rounded profile where my old tires were squared off. I haven't yet used them in the rain.

I'll have to give an update or a review once they've seen more use.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Rode over 800 km during the vacation (went camping and to a cottage), some nice mountain roads. The mountains are old and small here maybe not as spectacular as other parts of the world but if felt great. I will see if my girlfriend has any interesting pics (we saw some carnivorous plants, I thought they lived only in tropics but I am wrong).

My front left-side blinker was vibrating very enthusiastically during this time. When I washed the bike yesterday, I notice that one of the bolts holding the plastic headlight casing in place was missing. I guess it is because of the vibration. Also one of my frame sliders is a bit loose. I did not take seriously weekly bolt inspection (well, I did in the beginning but since nothing was loose, I ignored it after a while). Now I plan to do it at least once a month, check all the bolts, see if nothing is loose.

Tomorrow the kids are off to their grandparents so I plan to buy a couple of these bolts and then have a nice ride for a maybe a couple of hours.

1581 - 1600 of 1619 Posts