Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 1389 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Switched oil for the 5th time today and filter at 12500 kms.

I have the bike since May of 2018. I've used Motul 5100 10w50 all the time and switched up to 5100 10w40.

It gets really hot during summertime here, so this is why i've stucked with 10w50. But i've had by doubts if it lubricates the engine properly on colder days.

So I switched today. Last oil change was at July 2019 with 8250 km's on the odo. Not riding much so I gave it another month, no biggie.

I've also changed this time around the gasket of the oil drain bolt as well. Can someone explain to me why do you need to change it? First time in 2 years. Measured thickness and it same as the new one.

Hope it all goes well! I believe some will understand why I am cryptic.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It's a crush washer. It compresses between the bolt head and the drain pan for a sure seal. I turn mine over once then replace it the next time. Got a whole bunch of them once when I ordered something from Revzilla a while back. 🐉

·
Registered
121 Posts
Drain bolt washers are typically a soft metal that has two functions, both to seal and to lock the bolt. On the first use they will work harden even if the dimensions don’t change much. Copper ones are easy to anneal, but they (just like the aluminum ones) are so cheap that I’ve always wondered why bother.

All that being said, I know that a lot of people keep using the same washer for the life of the vehicle with no problems.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Drain bolt washers are typically a soft metal that has two functions, both to seal and to lock the bolt. On the first use they will work harden even if the dimensions don’t change much. Copper ones are easy to anneal, but they (just like the aluminum ones) are so cheap that I’ve always wondered why bother.

All that being said, I know that a lot of people keep using the same washer for the life of the vehicle with no problems.
If I was only living in a place where DIY and hardware stores were really DIY and hardware stores, I wouldn't order evey bolt I need overseas from eBay. Trust me on that one brother...

1341 - 1360 of 1389 Posts