Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1301 - 1320 of 1358 Posts

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
I’m not trying to brake quickly. Just bleed a bit of speed off with out too much engine braking prior leaning and when coming out of turns. Just feels like I have to smash it.
Yes in a road riding situation a bit of rear brake on corner entry can stabilize the bike nicely and set it up for a smooth apex and exit. I do this sometimes rather than compress the front forks by using excessive front brake. But not at the track!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I drag my rear break to turn on the tail light (usually not even enough to make the brakes grab at all) and mostly use engine breaking to bleed speed. front + rear for real braking / stopping.

Did my 600mi service and added a cheap slip on and stripped the swingarm stickers on my girl, still need to figure out fuel management and find a local dyno before doing a full exhaust.
Also have an order in for a rear cowl & windshield and plan to fabricate some sort of attachment points behind the plate for my cargo net.

if I were to keep the slip on the adjustment bracket would definitely need painted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes in a road riding situation a bit of rear brake on corner entry can stabilize the bike nicely and set it up for a smooth apex and exit. I do this sometimes rather than compress the front forks by using excessive front brake. But not at the track!
Have yet to take the z too the track but I think it will be a fun bout when I have the opportunity. The green goblin in itching to roll into those turns. She really is nimble.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I spent a few dollars on paint and a few hour of labor...

Blue bike with gold wheels...
I’m happy with the results.
:)(y)
You painted the wheel weights, might need to repaint when changing tires.
it looks great on the blue bike.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
that looks like a good match to the color of the reservoir on your Ohlins damper. Did you deflate the tires some so you could put the masking tape/plastic farther down in between the tire and rim?
No, but I did take my time masking and was able to get the tape down between the rim and tire all the way. I used a full can of paint per wheel with about 5 coats with about 15m between coats. I cleaned them with degreaser and scuffed with scotchbrite. Then I wiped with alcohol before spraying. I didn’t use primer. I mounted them on a rod and spun slowly while painting to get a nice even coat with zero runs. I have an extra can for touch ups later when they get scratched by tire changes...

Yes I chose that color of gold because it matched the Ohlins shock nicely. I’ve done this in the past with 2 other bikes and it’s always held up well. I guess it helps that I’m a fair weather rider. I may decide to powder coat in the future...we’ll see

And yes I know I painted over the wheel weights...;)

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
The ecu flash deleted the O2 sensor, no reason to keep it. Finished installing the sprockets,13/42. "Fake horsepower" as my girlfriend punked me about it. Feels quicker accelerating, who knows how much top speed I lost.
View attachment 14371 View attachment 14372 View attachment 14373
Fake horsepower, I like that! There is some truth to it though, your engine is putting out no more power at the crank it's just how you are accessing it with your gearing.

@TaiMc Look, a green chain!! 😄

·
Registered
717 Posts
^^ Untapped HP is the correct term, my padawan.

Reactions: Flash Bantam

·
Registered
33 Posts
Finally got to install my Ali Express seat cowl.
There's a bit of a gap which will be covered in auto weather strips :)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Fake horsepower, I like that! There is some truth to it though, your engine is putting out no more power at the crank it's just how you are accessing it with your gearing.

@TaiMc Look, a green chain!! 😄
hehe...yeah i saw that! Being all fancy and thangs!

·
Registered
142 Posts
What's the purpose of the center pad? Or is it just for looks?
Basically what Grantman said. Also, on yesterday's ride I came around a semi blind curve where the light turned red and I had to get on the front , rear brakes and downshifting rather quickly so the front force pushed me up on the tank more and I would like to think that tank pad helped keep me in place rather then sliding up the tank more had it not been installed.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I fixed a broken bracket for my Oxford heated grips. I was riding the hilly sweepers north of West Bend yesterday, and noticed that the bracket for my heated grip controller broke at the hole for mounting on the bike. So after taking a pic for a potential warranty claim, I snipped off the excess with my tin snips and drilled a new hole in the remaining bracket, and then reinstalled.

I'm wondering if the length of the bracket, combined with movement induced by Wisconsin's bumpy roads, caused a stress fracture at the hole's location. Perhaps the repaired bracket being shorter and the attachment hole being at a wider part of the bracket will mean that this will not be repeated. We shall see ...

Attachments

1301 - 1320 of 1358 Posts