Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 1358 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
BJB, I just got home from a 90 minute ride. The tank grips seem to help BUT only if you remember to keep your legs pulled to the tank (my knees tend to naturally splay out a bit so I have to conciously grip the tank).. I'm going to be interested to see if my adductor muscles get sore later, they were getting noticeable as I was trying to grip the tank with my legs (until I'd forget). So I think the grips are a "yes they seem to work as advertised, but they seem expensive for what they are" proposition. Maybe if they go on a track bike there'd be a larger payoff.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
BJB, I just got home from a 90 minute ride. The tank grips seem to help BUT only if you remember to keep your legs pulled to the tank (my knees tend to naturally splay out a bit so I have to conciously grip the tank).. I'm going to be interested to see if my adductor muscles get sore later, they were getting noticeable as I was trying to grip the tank with my legs (until I'd forget). So I think the grips are a "yes they seem to work as advertised, but they seem expensive for what they are" proposition. Maybe if they go on a track bike there'd be a larger payoff.
Yep, they're a must have on track bike. Personally I dont have them on my road bike.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I have them on my bike, but not on the tank...only on the black plastic matte middle fairings under the tank (this is where I grip my bike with my thighs). It's made a huge difference for me in my riding on the street.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have a set, but only installed the center piece that protects the back of the tank from my jacket/suit zippers. Tai and I could have shared a set lol.

Reactions: TaiMc

·
Registered
26 Posts
Put on my fake carbon rear seat (plastic). Removed my stock abs hoses. I'm waiting for non abs braided hoses to get delivered. 20200711_140640.jpg 20200711_112528_HDR.jpg 20200711_120210_HDR.jpg 20200711_140625.jpg

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Put on my fake carbon rear seat (plastic). Removed my stock abs hoses. I'm waiting for non abs braided hoses to get delivered. View attachment 14171 View attachment 14172 View attachment 14173 View attachment 14174
Worst part of the ABS line removal job is making sure you dont get brake fluid on your nice new bike huh. That stuff is nasty if left on a painted surface. What brand braided lines did you get and through who? I got a Spiegler through STG for the front, didnt worry about swapping out the rear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ordered a green set from coremoto. Used a full can of brake cleaner wiping it off. Had a tough time tightening the last plug on the abs pump, not enough clearance to turn the wrench.

·
Registered
207 Posts
FWIW, Summit Racing has lots of "generic" braided steel lines and fittings from a variety of manufacturers, so once you've measured your original lines there's a good chance you can find a standard line in the catalog

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
Ordered a green set from coremoto. Used a full can of brake cleaner wiping it off. Had a tough time tightening the last plug on the abs pump, not enough clearance to turn the wrench.
Oh yeah, it's all coming back to me now like a nightmare. I remember going through my entire tool box trying to find something that would get in there and still be able to turn it. I think I used a 1/4 inch ratchet in the end with a socket, one click of the ratchet at a time...

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
I spent a few dollars on paint and a few hour of labor...

Blue bike with gold wheels...
I’m happy with the results.
:)(y)

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
I spent a few dollars on paint and a few hour of labor...

Blue bike with gold wheels...
I’m happy with the results.
:)(y)
They do look good. Actually transforms the bike. Gonna havta clean them more now though!
I have red wheels on my MC22. They look good, but I prefer not having to clean the suckers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oil change at 3000mi and a quick brake bleed with fresh DOT4.
I think the rear pedal needs adjusting because I feel like it takes a lot to feel any sort of application vs the fronts. I normally trail brake the rear into the corners.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I believe you'll find that the case on most bikes. I've read reports from several motorcycle safety organizations stating the front brakes account for as much as 70% of the bike's total braking power. Even with ABS controlling the system, the power is still up front.

1281 - 1300 of 1358 Posts