Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1181 - 1193 of 1193 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
My oil filter was on so tight after the first warranty service, it was like the dealer welded it on. I had a similar tool (probably lower quality) which would have worked with any sanely tightened filter, but kept slipping at the extreme end of effort Toledo Oil Filter Remover Swivel - 60-73mm - 305203

So after a failed trip getting another universal tool which didn't fit, I ended up getting a proper 64.5mm wrench Ryco Oil Filter Cup Wrench RST205
Even then I started to crumple the filter and the wrench slipped before I realised it wasn't completely seated and needing some hitting. In the end I was so scared the wretched filter would mangle and leave me hopelessly stuck that I used the first filter remover tool + wrench and was basically lifting the bike with the force needed to undo it. Good grief was I pissed off!

* that oil level is good.

Is that a phillips screwdriver on those hex head bolts? (Never mind, I looked closer and it's a torx head. Still works I guess!)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I changed Vert's oil and cleaned/lubed her chain today. Couldn't be out since we are quarantining...and this cleaning was long overdue:
Oil level looks bang on Tai. Very comprehensive guide for the newbies, good job.
If your short on time you only need to run the engine for a minute at the most to get the oil through the filter and check around the seal for any leaks at the same time.

@Grantman A pal of mine has recently bought a brand new Yammie MT-09. He went to do the the first oil change and found the oil filter had been fitted dry at the factory and over-tightened so badly that when he finally got it to move it striped off the aluminium thread on the male part of the housing that the filter screws onto. He's a mechanic so he wasn't trying to go the wrong way lol.
Luckily this part can be replaced separately but there were none in the country (good old NZ) so he waited a month for a new part and the bike was unusable during that time. Seems to be a trend on new bikes, I remember mine being crazy tight from the factory too.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My oil filter was on so tight after the first warranty service, it was like the dealer welded it on. I had a similar tool (probably lower quality) which would have worked with any sanely tightened filter, but kept slipping at the extreme end of effort Toledo Oil Filter Remover Swivel - 60-73mm - 305203

So after a failed trip getting another universal tool which didn't fit, I ended up getting a proper 64.5mm wrench Ryco Oil Filter Cup Wrench RST205
Even then I started to crumple the filter and the wrench slipped before I realised it wasn't completely seated and needing some hitting. In the end I was so scared the wretched filter would mangle and leave me hopelessly stuck that I used the first filter remover tool + wrench and was basically lifting the bike with the force needed to undo it. Good grief was I pissed off!

* that oil level is good.

Is that a phillips screwdriver on those hex head bolts? (Never mind, I looked closer and it's a torx head. Still works I guess!)
That's CRAZY!!!! LOL!!!!

And yes, I used a torx Tool to remove the bolts; I have like 3 different sets of Torx tools.

Thanks! I'm glad my oil level is correct.

I originally had my 600mile maintenance done by the dealership. So, if anyone had to wrestle with a difficult oil filter, it was them. For me, the oil filter was tight, and my PT rubber wrench tool was awesome. At first I wrapped it around the filter and it kept slipping off. So, once I pulled the rubber piece through to tighten and then I kept the strap taut as I turned, the filter loosened slowly but immediately. I just kept readjusting the rubber wrench and keeping pressure on the strap and it was beautiful lol.

Same for when I put it back on. I hand screwed it on first so as not to cross-thread it (dad drilled this into my head when i was little whenever I would be with him as he worked on vehicles) and then I hand tightened until it wouldn't turn anymore. Then I used the PT Wrench to tighten. I did this until I couldn't tighten anymore.

I actually preferred the oil change job over cleaning my chain lol. It was relaxing lol.

Video on how to use it (if anyone needs this):

@Kiwi Rider : I think I'll add my write up to the DIY section, although there are more comprehensive "oil change" write-ups there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's CRAZY!!!! LOL!!!!

And yes, I used a torx Tool to remove the bolts; I have like 3 different sets of Torx tools.

Thanks! I'm glad my oil level is correct.

I originally had my 600mile maintenance done by the dealership. So, if anyone had to wrestle with a difficult oil filter, it was them. For me, the oil filter was tight, and my PT rubber wrench tool was awesome. At first I wrapped it around the filter and it kept slipping off. So, once I pulled the rubber piece through to tighten and then I kept the strap taut as I turned, the filter loosened slowly but immediately. I just kept readjusting the rubber wrench and keeping pressure on the strap and it was beautiful lol.

Same for when I put it back on. I hand screwed it on first so as not to cross-thread it (dad drilled this into my head when i was little whenever I would be with him as he worked on vehicles) and then I hand tightened until it wouldn't turn anymore. Then I used the PT Wrench to tighten. I did this until I couldn't tighten anymore.

I actually preferred the oil change job over cleaning my chain lol. It was relaxing lol.

Video on how to use it (if anyone needs this):

@Kiwi Rider : I think I'll add my write up to the DIY section, although there are more comprehensive "oil change" write-ups there.
Gotta be real careful if using a tool to tighten the filter. I did give mine a tiny tweak with the wrench as I wasn't happy with my hand tightening leverage.

1181 - 1193 of 1193 Posts