Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
1,430 Posts
Yeah, I also moved to 4 preload last weekend (also oiled the chain a bit and attempted to adjust the clutch - part 2 of that series will play this weekend though, thanks to Rich T's advice on clutch adjustment at the arm). I prefer the 4 so far.

· Registered
1,430 Posts
You heard it here first folks...I spent some time de-modding today and returning it to stock. I've decided that I'm gonna ride it through the winter then maybe sell in spring. I'm selling (and already sold) some parts to help save up for my next bike and recoup some loss. Probably a Z900RS or maybe an adventure/touring or even a dual sport...

Still love the Ninja 400 though, so I may decide to keep it and have 2 bikes...
You know what is best for you. I liked reading your posts so I am hoping that you keep it.

· Registered
1,430 Posts
Yeah, stay safe. You make the safety calls. I don't know your riding experience but I get that this is scary. I know that there is good advice on how to minimize the risk of being rear-ended. I am working on it myself, almost happened once: strategy AND evasive tactics. I am not so great but I am trying to make a habit to at least keep an eye on the rear mirror when slowing down and stopping. And choosing a position that would let me escape. However, I am not so confident in the speed of my escape. Maybe that is something I should work on next season.

I like MCRider's advice for this kind of situation: Rear ended – 5 things you should do to avoid being rear ended

· Registered
1,430 Posts
Thanks! It looks like my range might drop a little with a flash.
Yes it does. I don't know much about ECUs but theoretically, I guess that you could flash the ECU or use Power Commander to get more mileage. Most people go the other way, running rich for more power and better throttle response. I know the bike is running lean and hot so I don't know if modifying it the other way would not be detrimental. Maybe one of the pros can tell us.

· Registered
1,430 Posts
Cross wind speed. Highway, it was around 100 km/h (62 mph). With lesser winds I go a bit faster, but that 60 km/h started to feel scary. I am proud of how I improved since I got the bike 2 years ago, but to be honest I had no idea if it was good or not.

The trick for me, is to ride small segments of highway near the limit of tolerance. As long as it feels safe (I have to set a plan B in my mind, like I can pull over without shame if it feels too dangerous). I think that for now I will stick with this limit. It's a good thing to know when looking at the weather forecast.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts