Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ust got my bike last week, and am currently shopping for insurance. As a new rider, (like, new, green new, lime-green new), my intuition says it might start a little expensive simply because of he lack of riding experience. Would you might share some thoughts about your coverage and cost so that I (and other people who’s in similar situation) can get an idea about what is a a reasonable cost?

Of cause the better coverage the higher price. There are also other factors such as geography.
It will be a great help if you can include details.

PS: I have searched this topic in this forum but didn’t see much discussion. Please disregard if there’s already a thread for this topic.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My insurance company didn’t ask how long I’ve ridden. I have a car and renters insurance. Adding comprehensive coverage (including theft) with a $250 deductible cost me about $24 a month. I’m in my 30s, no accidents... don’t know if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
133 Posts
$200 per year for full coverage. I had to haggle a bit because my agent said the 400 comes up as a supersport. He found the cheaper rate through Progressive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Iam with Geico and adding to my policy with my car and renters coverage. Full coverage is about 25 bucks a month. Some insurance companies list the 400 as a super sport thankfully Geico doesn’t. Storage insurance last winter was like 8 bucks a month so it’s not to bad overall. Also Iam 35 no tickets no accidents clean record so that might have something to do with it maybe not

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have quoted with Progressive. Well, for liability only with low coverage, it’s less than $100 per Year. However full coverage would cost ~$800 or even higher. I’m a little surprised (disappointed) considering that I’ve had my house and two cars insured with them. Seems I should keep shopping around at this point.

Another thing, when we say “full coverage”, do we mean the same thing? When we talk about insurance coverage, we are talking about both "what to cover" and "maximum coverage of each"

What items to include and what is the coverage for each of them would you recommend, in order to reach a balance between “coverage” and “cost”?

I've also read it somewhere that your health insurance/medical insurance (from work or other place) might have already covered "body injury" or "medical payment" in your motorcycle insurance already. Meaning that you do not have to purchase it in your motorcycle insurance. Anyone has experience/deeper insight about this?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have Geico, full coverage, $78 per year. However, I lowered some of the payouts and deductibles. Also, if I total the bike they have a max payout of $3,500. There wasn't a higher amount. Not sure why.

But I am sure there are loads of variables. I'm 50, been with them 20 years, no claims, etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have quoted with Progressive. Well, for liability only with low coverage, it’s less than $100 per Year. However full coverage would cost ~$800 or even higher. I’m a little surprised (disappointed) considering that I’ve had my house and two cars insured with them. Seems I should keep shopping around at this point.

Another thing, when we say “full coverage”, do we mean the same thing? When we talk about insurance coverage, we are talking about both "what to cover" and "maximum coverage of each"

What items to include and what is the coverage for each of them would you recommend, in order to reach a balance between “coverage” and “cost”?

I've also read it somewhere that your health insurance/medical insurance (from work or other place) might have already covered "body injury" or "medical payment" in your motorcycle insurance already. Meaning that you do not have to purchase it in your motorcycle insurance. Anyone has experience/deeper insight about this?

Full coverage as in comp and collision (I down my bike and insurance totals it (which they do very easily I get a check cut To me for the market value minus my 500 dollar deductible. Comprehensive as I run my bike into the side of joe blows car he gets his car fixed and so forth. And uninsured motorist (required in Idaho) and 25k bodily injury. You going to confuse more people by asking, what is full coverage to you? Sorta questions

·
Registered
15 Posts
Brand new rider here. GEICO, whom I have my car insurance with, wanted me to pay $1,200 per year for the first two years. I went with progressive with full coverage for $350 per year. I recommend shopping around before buying anything. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
New rider in California, 23 years old. Went with Geico as they were the cheapest. When I first started it was a little over $900 a year ($75 a month) with almost max limits on everything. However just today my premium went down to $600 ($55 a month). Might be because I bought the bike and insurance almost exactly a year ago, but not 100% sure. Geico was the cheapest I could find, even progressive and dairyland quoted me almost 2k a year!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I just had an email from State Farm reducing my motorcycle insurance by appx. $50/year. Nice. I turn 55 next month. I guess it pays to be old?

·
Registered
64 Posts
$668 with Progressive. Starting this summer changes to the Catastrophic Claims Act that were enacted into law will reduce premiums most Michigan residents pay. CCA is currently a $228 surcharge on my coverage.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I just did the math, my new rate will be $334.27/year with State Farm. It went up significantly when I moved from North Dakota to Milwaukee.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I just did the math, my new rate will be $334.27/year with State Farm. It went up significantly when I moved from North Dakota to Milwaukee.
Most of that increase is probably due to the increased risk of theft. Among all those Milwaukee HD employees are some closeted Kawasaki lovers just waiting for the opportunity to take your Ninja400 for spin. ;)

·
Registered
448 Posts
200$ for full coverage is crazy. Here it's just 1200$ for mandatory health insurance, another 140$~ insurance for damage incase something happen to someone else's stuff, and about 12% of the bike value per year for full covrerage....the value of the bike here is almost 12K USD!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Don't you already have health insurance, why would that cost extra?

Also, you are in Isreal I believe, correct? Is there a reason why they hate motorcycles so much? What purpose does it serve for the government to dissuade people from riding motorcycles instead of cars?

·
Registered
50 Posts
In So Cal I'm paying 320 a year full coverage with Allstate. 1st year with them and a new rider as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
:cool: My insurance added $32.00 for a yr for the 3rd bike, total is $80.00 yr for fire&theft and liabilty, 63 yr old, sucks I know...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts