Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soo I went down at the track yesterday. Bike isn't as banged up as it looks. Needs a new rear brake pedal and some cleaning/buffing. Dragged the feeler peg and shot me up and into the dirt. Would have been fine but I grabbed a handful of front brake in the dirt and went down. Lesson learned!

It was the very first lap of the day and someone on a 1000 passed me in a straight and had a nice line that I followed...lean angle got really steep and all was fine until the peg touched hard and shot me up. Forgot how long the pegs on these beginner bikes are and that the foot rests are much lower to the ground...I also probably should NOT have been getting anywhere near that low on the first lap ?

20180828_105148.jpg

20180828_164259.jpg

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Ah bugger eh. Yes you shouldnt have been charging so hard on the first lap on cold tyres!
Does sound like fun though :)
Also sounds like rear sets are required. I have noted this limited clearance for when I get my bike to the track. I think I will remove those hero knobs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah rear sets definitely required if I'm going to track regularly. Also need to not follow bigger bikes lines. Correcting on a small bike I feel is less forgiving than a big bike. My line should have been way deeper into the turn and a nice wide smooth one carrying speed rather than going in tight and trying to correct for the second half. As long as I learned my lesson and I'm not banged up I think it's a good experience!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ah bugger eh. Yes you shouldnt have been charging so hard on the first lap on cold tyres!
Does sound like fun though :)
Also sounds like rear sets are required. I have noted this limited clearance for when I get my bike to the track. I think I will remove those hero knobs.
I scrapped hero knobs within the first couple weeks of owning it, removed them for the track day. Bike for sure needs rearsets though, I had to really reach out with my knee to touch puck. Spent more time scraping my toe sliders than anything else.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Yeah rear sets definitely required if I'm going to track regularly. Also need to not follow bigger bikes lines. Correcting on a small bike I feel is less forgiving than a big bike. My line should have been way deeper into the turn and a nice wide smooth one carrying speed rather than going in tight and trying to correct for the second half. As long as I learned my lesson and I'm not banged up I think it's a good experience!
Bang on, it's all about maintaining corner speed on small HP bikes. We dont have the power to wash off speed and then stand the bike up and point and shoot like the big boys do.

When I had my CBR250 & 300 I was riding a lot with guys on some fast machinery and generally keeping up unless they decided to roll it on on the straights. One of the guys said to me that he hardly ever saw my brake lights come on as I approached a corner. I replied that I couldn't afford to brake as I would never catch them again otherwise. :biggrin:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Bang on, it's all about maintaining corner speed on small HP bikes. We dont have the power to wash off speed and then stand the bike up and point and shoot like the big boys do.

When I had my CBR250 & 300 I was riding a lot with guys on some fast machinery and generally keeping up unless they decided to roll it on on the straights. One of the guys said to me that he hardly ever saw my brake lights come on as I approached a corner. I replied that I couldn't afford to brake as I would never catch them again otherwise. :biggrin:
I need to learn that style of riding, I dont brake hard in every turn, but I know I over brake in some of them. For me it's all about learning to trust the tires, and of course my skill level. I know there are a lot of racers that barely touch the brakes. I am just not at that point yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Soo I went down at the track yesterday. Bike isn't as banged up as it looks. Needs a new rear brake pedal and some cleaning/buffing. Dragged the feeler peg and shot me up and into the dirt. Would have been fine but I grabbed a handful of front brake in the dirt and went down. Lesson learned!

It was the very first lap of the day and someone on a 1000 passed me in a straight and had a nice line that I followed...lean angle got really steep and all was fine until the peg touched hard and shot me up. Forgot how long the pegs on these beginner bikes are and that the foot rests are much lower to the ground...I also probably should NOT have been getting anywhere near that low on the first lap ?

View attachment 3725

View attachment 3727
Welcome to the club bro. Hitting the footpegs' safety heads also means that your body position wasn't right. I'm no expert of course but the marshal that teaches me at my track first told me that it was the result of not moving your body away from the bike (shoulders and head into the corner). Also, as you said, cornering too hard on the first lap with cold tires, isn't a great idea :)

Hopefully, when i low-sided 2 weeks ago, I had the frame sliders (OEM from Kawasaki) and it almost didn't scratch anything. These things saved my bike on my 3 crashes.

"Lesson learned" is the right thing, that's why track is the perfect playground to experiment and improve his driving skills overall :)

Ride safe my friend ... but ride fast :devil:
f0ster

1 - 8 of 8 Posts