Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm from Italy and I bought new z400 last winter today she has 3000km.. Some days ago while riding I saw this problem. In 4th gear at speed 55mph 8000rpm I turned on the gas at full and the motor just went up to 12500rpm without accelerating but if I do the same in 6th gear it's seems to be ok.. Yeah I know that 8000rpm is to much but it have to work good anyway.. Did you find something similar? Ah yeah and sorry for my English.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It sounds like your clutch is slipping, unfortunately, and once it does that, the plates may need to be replaced if they get burned... Lots of info from norton here. Is your z400 2020 model year? If so, it should have the right clutch pull rod and bearing -- so it might also be that your cable free play is set wrong. You need to make sure you have 2-3mm gap at the lever -- see the owners manual. This adjustment is really important to avoid burning clutch plates.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think you definitely want to check your clutch lever free play... Assuming you have not installed an external clutch cable spring, you want 2-3mm of free play in the lever gap, which results in no tension on the cable.

In the picture below, my lever is completely free and gravity opens up the gap when I let go of the handle -- I can wiggle the handle without moving the cable.

If you don't have a gap there, your clutch might slip when you're not pulling in the handle, and it might even change based on the temperature of the engine, if you are on the edge.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
yeah sounds like clutch slipping, check your slack/free play like Rich said, if its good your plates might be done

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just checked my lever and it was completely tighted with no gap. I regulated the lever as you said and I will go for a ride after work

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is why a hydraulic actuated clutch is so nice -- no cable to adjust... It seems just too easy to get the cable adjustment wrong -- you hear of even dealers doing it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope you are right Rich, Will tell you in a couple of hours. If the I cant solve the problem i'll bring the bike to Kawa dealers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is why a hydraulic actuated clutch is so nice -- no cable to adjust... It seems just too easy to get the cable adjustment wrong -- you hear of even dealers doing it...
Rich, I would normally agree on the merits of a hydraulic clutch if the Kawasaki 400 were a BIG engined bike, where high clutch forces are needed, and hydraulic actuation makes clutch pull lighter.

But, when the required clutch pull is low, I favour cable operation simply because it eliminates a maintenance process that most individual owners are not equipped to handle: clutch fluid changes at LEAST every couple of years. Since it requires some tools and skill, and is costly when a dealer does it, many owners don't do it, and of course get corrosion and the problems it causes as a result.

Clutch cable maintenance - cable lubrication - is MUCH easier and requires only an inexpensive cable lubing tool. Any owner with basic mechanical abilities can do it. The only longterm hazard to a cable clutch system is that in a bike with HARD clutch pull, the cable can eventually break. But the Kawi 400 clutch pull is so ridiculously light that this is unlikely to EVER happen.

Jim G

·
Registered
78 Posts
The only bike I ever had with a hydraulic actuated clutch was the (somewhat legendary, if dated) Interceptor 500 -- I treated it the same as the brake hydraulics -- same tools, same maintenance schedule, same fluids, etc. -- I actually found it easier. It was pretty sweet -- totally delicate feel and self adjusting! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, I bought a 500 Interceptor brand new in 1985 too! LOVED that bike. As I recall, it was the first of the faired racebike replicas offered for sale to the public. I even toured on it - 2 weeks Minneapolis to North Texas, up though Colorado, and back to Minneapolis. Fantastic bike for its time! :)

Jim G

1 - 15 of 15 Posts