Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A topic dear to my heart! I love a light bike. I'm a skinny guy without powerful legs so even holding up a heavy bike when straddling the bike can be a struggle, esp if it starts to topple.
But mostly I just like to be able to flick a bike through the twisties easily with quick changes of direction and maximum grin factor.

So... The first thing I will be doing when I get the bike is weigh it (with a full tank of fuel) using the scales at work. I use two load cells linked together and run a plank between the two that I maneuver the bike up on to. Carefully!

I weigh every part I remove using accurate kitchen scales and then weigh the new aftermarket or modified part before it goes back on.

Using this method I got my CBR300 down to a 150kg weapon. Ok, maybe not a weapon as it only had 30.4HP Lol but it was noticeably quicker off the mark through the gears and I surprised a few guys at the lights in town. But best of all you only had to think about a change of direction and it fell in to line effortlessly. Very little body english required to hustle it through the bends.

Here's a list of what I did from the biggest weight saving to the least:

1. Change exhaust.
2. Swap lead acid battery for lithium Ion.
3. Swap steel clip-ons for aluminium items.
4. Remove pillion peg brackets and add aluminium exhaust hanger.
5. Remove pillion grab handles & fit block off plates.
6. Remove tool kit.
7. Fit rear sets.
8. Remove mirrors, fit block off plates and fit one bar-end mirror.
9. Swap turn signals for smaller ones.
10. Fit fender eliminator.
11. Remove radiator fan.
12. Swap steel rear sprocket for aluminium one.
13. Replace various steel fasteners with aluminium ones.

Total weight saving 13.14 kg (29lbs)

Feel free to add any weight saving mods you do to your bike to this thread.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Kiwi with respect, but you don't want to use a lithium ion but more a LiFePO4.
And on the attached picture you'll see an idea about more weight reduction (it's from the EX300 and could be bought from registered Italian racers only, also this was available for the EX250 in Italy). It gives you 3+ kg less weight and the price was around 550 USD.
PS: Sorry, forgot to upload the front frame and the price is for both parts. Also important to say is, that the battery is located in the front frame to bring more weight to the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
A topic dear to my heart! I love a light bike. I'm a skinny guy without powerful legs so even holding up a heavy bike when straddling the bike can be a struggle, esp if it starts to topple.
But mostly I just like to be able to flick a bike through the twisties easily with quick changes of direction and maximum grin factor.

So... The first thing I will be doing when I get the bike is weigh it (with a full tank of fuel) using the scales at work. I use two load cells linked together and run a plank between the two that I maneuver the bike up on to. Carefully!

I weigh every part I remove using accurate kitchen scales and then weigh the new aftermarket or modified part before it goes back on.

Using this method I got my CBR300 down to a 150kg weapon. Ok, maybe not a weapon as it only had 30.4HP Lol but it was noticeably quicker off the mark through the gears and I surprised a few guys at the lights in town. But best of all you only had to think about a change of direction and it fell in to line effortlessly. Very little body english required to hustle it through the bends.

Here's a list of what I did from the biggest weight saving to the least:

1. Change exhaust.
2. Swap lead acid battery for lithium Ion.
3. Swap steel clip-ons for aluminium items.
4. Remove pillion peg brackets and add aluminium exhaust hanger.
5. Remove pillion grab handles & fit block off plates.
6. Remove tool kit.
7. Fit rear sets.
8. Remove mirrors, fit block off plates and fit one bar-end mirror.
9. Swap turn signals for smaller ones.
10. Fit fender eliminator.
11. Remove radiator fan.
12. Swap steel rear sprocket for aluminium one.
13. Replace various steel fasteners with aluminium ones.

Total weight saving 13.14 kg (29lbs)

Feel free to add any weight saving mods you do to your bike to this thread.
Everything sounds good except #11 remove fan? Where I live it gets to 35*c on the track it gets even hotter just curious is it always cold in NZ? Please explain a little more so I can understand the thinking on this one.

If you really want to save weight, drop the steel rims and go carbon. I know they are crazy priced but I have seen a few at the tracks with carbon rims. Of course they are sponsored riders so nothing out of their pockets. For me never unless I get a GREAT deal on a used set.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Everything sounds good except #11 remove fan? Where I live it gets to 35*c on the track it gets even hotter just curious is it always cold in NZ? Please explain a little more so I can understand the thinking on this one.

If you really want to save weight, drop the steel rims and go carbon. I know they are crazy priced but I have seen a few at the tracks with carbon rims. Of course they are sponsored riders so nothing out of their pockets. For me never unless I get a GREAT deal on a used set.
Agreed, keep fan drop rims. I have ridden a r3 with carbon wheels and man oh man what a difference people say its the most noticeable in terms of performance mod you can do

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Agreed, keep fan drop rims. I have ridden a r3 with carbon wheels and man oh man what a difference people say its the most noticeable in terms of performance mod you can do
The CBR's seem to have a really efficient cooling system and the gauge never gets above half way. The fan never kicked in once on the CBR250 the whole time I had it so I ditched the one on the 300. Yes this only works in cool climates. I live in the very South of New Zealand (The Scotland of NZ!) and I dont commute in traffic.

Yes I agree on the rims absolutely. But do I want to spend 2K on a 8K bike? Only if I win the lottery! :D

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kiwi with respect, but you don't want to use a lithium ion but more a LiFePO4.
And on the attached picture you'll see an idea about more weight reduction (it's from the EX300 and could be bought from registered Italian racers only, also this was available for the EX250 in Italy). It gives you 3+ kg less weight and the price was around 550 USD.
PS: Sorry, forgot to upload the front frame and the price is for both parts. Also important to say is, that the battery is located in the front frame to bring more weight to the front.
Very interesting. I would be more inclined to seek out an aluminium swing arm and leave the frame as is.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Very interesting. I would be more inclined to seek out an aluminium swing arm and leave the frame as is.
This is what I understand very well - I have one on my Ninja and it gives it a very much more stable feeling.
Also another choice to lose weight is the cylinder head, mine (lol - from the bike) lost 940 grams after the work on the flow bench.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, its nerd in charge of a calculator here :nerd:

So far I have shed 1.7 Kg (3.8 lb) from the bike by spending less than 10 minutes going around taking off a few items that are surplus to requirement or just annoying.

Tool kit (press cut out of a block of cheese)
LH pillion peg bracket & RH peg.
Dividing tray under pillion seat. (also gives you bigger cavity)
Heat shield on exhaust that my boot kept contacting.

P1000031.jpg

More to come...

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shorai LFX-12 Lithium vs OEM lead acid battery

Despite the Shorai web site recommending their LFX-14 battery for the Ninja 400, the LFX-12 seems to work fine. And there is no reason why it shouldnt:
OEM specs - 8.4 Amp/hr 135 Cold cranking amps.
Shorai specs - 12 A/h 155 CCA

And to the important bit, the weight:
OEM = 3kg (6.6 lbs)
Shorai = 730 grams (1.6 lbs)

So 5lbs less, gotta be a good thing, esp as its weight up relatively high on the bike.

P1000033.jpg

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mustard bikes tail tidy vs OEM unit

Fitted this tonite, and it went on perfectly. Looks good and feels good quality. Has side holes to take standard indicators. See here for more info: http://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/125-parts-accessories/1123-mustard-bikes-fender-eliminator-australia.html

But one of the main advantages of the tail tidy/fender eliminator is the weight saving:
185 grams vs 785 grams for the OEM unit.

So a 600 gram saving ;), gotta be happy with that.

So far I've knocked 4.58 kg (10lbs) off the bike and I haven't even started on the clip ons or exhaust yet.

P1000034.jpg

Kitchen scales taking a beating this week :grin:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Fitted this tonite, and it went on perfectly. Looks good and feels good quality. Has side holes to take standard indicators. See here for more info: http://www.ninja400riders.com/forum/125-parts-accessories/1123-mustard-bikes-fender-eliminator-australia.html

But one of the main advantages of the tail tidy/fender eliminator is the weight saving:
185 grams vs 785 grams for the OEM unit.

So a 600 gram saving ;), gotta be happy with that.

So far I've knocked 4.58 kg (10lbs) off the bike and I haven't even started on the clip ons or exhaust yet.

View attachment 559

Kitchen scales taking a beating this week :grin:
And u said 10kgs weight saving is not possible ;) exhaust alone will save you 3kgs, imagine clip ons, rear sets, levers ect Im still thinking that 10kgs save is possible heck not to mention battery alone can save over 1kg

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
And u said 10kgs weight saving is not possible ;) exhaust alone will save you 3kgs, imagine clip ons, rear sets, levers ect Im still thinking that 10kgs save is possible heck not to mention battery alone can save over 1kg
10kg is my target at this stage. I cant remember what I said (your honor!) but anything is possible with the right amount of money chucked at it. :)
The battery in this bike is heavy at 3kg, it's a must go IMO as it's a 2.3kg saving right off the bat.
All the small things add up too, I've got an aluminium rear sprocket coming this week.

An R3 rider sat on my bike at the weekend and said 'it feels lighter than the R3'. He didnt notice my fuel gauge was flashing last bar :D

·
Registered
764 Posts
10kg is my target at this stage. I cant remember what I said (your honor!) but anything is possible with the right amount of money chucked at it. :)
The battery in this bike is heavy at 3kg, it's a must go IMO as it's a 2.3kg saving right off the bat.
All the small things add up too, I've got an aluminium rear sprocket coming this week.

An R3 rider sat on my bike at the weekend and said 'it feels lighter than the R3'. He didnt notice my fuel gauge was flashing last bar :D
insane how different it rides with a full tank and almost empty one isnt it ;) any really light weight battery you recommended that fits perfectly?

·
Registered
178 Posts

What is the model of oem battery?

·
Registered
764 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
FTX 9 BS Made in Thailand. There is a photo of it in my post, a few back.
Thanks. I have been using Lithium Iron batteries since around late 2008- early 2009, when they were pretty new on the market. Some good, some bad. Have 3 Shorai-equipped bikes, now. Always want a little more cranking power than stock, because they are a different animal in cold temps! On a big bike, I have saved 10 lbs with these things! :smile:

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
okay so if u didnt know 80% of the worlds ;ithium comes from western australia so I want to support it and get this super light 0.43kgs battery but does it have enough power ??? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2008-2016-Honda-CBR1000RR-SSB-Ultralite-lithium-battery-YTX5LBS/311383283761?_trkparms=pageci:f70b2b12-2d39-11e8-a9c2-74dbd180f9ee|parentrq:49ee11411620a860f7f06674fff47a49|iid:1&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236
It's about half the price of the Shorai so I'm suspicious of quality. It's only (claimed) 140 CCA so there's no way I'd be putting one in a CBR1000! The Amp/hr rating is not listed either. The OEM batt is 135 CCA so in theory it should be grunty enough but the size of it is concerning. I would be wary of buying this battery, probably made in China.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It's about half the price of the Shorai so I'm suspicious of quality. It's only (claimed) 140 CCA so there's no way I'd be putting one in a CBR1000! The Amp/hr rating is not listed either. The OEM batt is 135 CCA so in theory it should be grunty enough but the size of it is concerning. I would be wary of buying this battery, probably made in China.
Australian owned and operated, also max charge is 8amps regular is 1amps cca is 140 but that weight is what im loving <3 and in australia its always warm so im thinking it will be fine?

1 - 20 of 138 Posts