Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep it's for safety reasons and is enforced by the police. $75 fine if caught not wearing one.
There has been quite a few stories from cyclists of 'my helmet saved my life' though.
It becomes so ingrained that you dont really think think about the loss of freedom issue. I guess you dont miss what you dont know.
Well it didnt quite save my life today but it did save me from a nasty hit to the head.
The irony is not lost on me that 11hrs after I typed the above quote I had an accident on my way home from work on my bicycle.
Basically the left hand brake lever unit came unattached from the handle bar and swung down into the spokes of the front wheel. Next thing I know I'm going over the bars and, after attempting to break my fall with left arm, I land head first on the road. Luckily the helmet absorbed a lot of the blow followed by my forehead and then other protruding facial features to a lesser extent.
I'm not overly concerned about the facial grazing, there's no modeling shoots looming, but I have fractured my left wrist and will be in a cast for 4 weeks. Far from ideal given my job as an engineer. I've not long rung my boss... :eek:

So with out wanting to preach too much I do suggest that you'all keep a lid on when out there on two wheels of any description .
I'm just mighty pleased I had mine on today. :dizzy:

P1000277.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
ooof, that's rough mate. And they keep telling me bikes with motors are dangerous!

Hope you heal quick, though if they take the arm, think of the weight saving!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well it didnt quite save my life today but it did save me from a nasty hit to the head.
The irony is not lost on me that 11hrs after I typed the above quote I had an accident on my way home from work on my bicycle.
Basically the left hand brake lever unit came unattached from the handle bar and swung down into the spokes of the front wheel. Next thing I know I'm going over the bars and, after attempting to break my fall with left arm, I land head first on the road. Luckily the helmet absorbed a lot of the blow followed by my forehead and then other protruding facial features to a lesser extent.
I'm not overly concerned about the facial grazing, there's no modeling shoots looming, but I have fractured my left wrist and will be in a cast for 4 weeks. Far from ideal given my job as an engineer. I've not long rung my boss... :eek:

So with out wanting to preach too much I do suggest that you'all keep a lid on when out there on two wheels of any description .

View attachment 1935
Thank god you are okay man. All other stuff will come in place with time!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Holy crap!!! So sorry to hear about your misfortunes, talk about a freak accident.

and + 1000000000000 on the helmet, most 2 wheel accidents happen at speeds below 30 mph and the results can be catastrophic

·
Registered
377 Posts

View attachment 1935
Good to hear your ok. We have a lot of people here ride in shorts and no helmet. They need to see just what a bicycle can do not to mention if it would have been a motorcycle. Good reminder.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ouch!! Heal up soon mang. :dizzy:

·
Registered
145 Posts
So sorry for you, man! I wish you a quick recover.

I guess you will be typing less on the forum, now. Bummer! Your posts are good.

Get better!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your accident. Glad your gear, especially your helmet prevented more serious injuries. I wish you a very speedy and 100% full recovery!

I'm sure you will not be typing much and resting but later on maybe you shed some light on the the brake lever that came unattached and something we should be checking or if it was based on any specific mods?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sorry to hear of your accident, wish you a speedy recovery @Kiwi Rider

I'm also glad that helmets are mandatory in NZ as my wife had an off on her bicycle a couple of years back. She did as you did and tried to break the fall with her arm and it ended up breaking at the shoulder. But the main thing is her head was ok because of the helmet.

Take care

·
Registered
141 Posts

View attachment 1935
Aww crap kiwi! Sorry to hear, hope you heal up soon! Glad you were wearing your helmet, i know my helmet saved my brain a few weeks ago! Just wish i was wearing chest and back armor.

Always enjoy your posts man, heal up and get back on!

Btw, how did it just fall? Haha. That sucks man, talk about freak accident, im assuming you went to grab it and *fall*? Also good to see you smile through the pain, i know its gotta hurt!

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the support and well wishes guys, much appreciated. I'm still typing, just with one finger.

Pain levels today are managable compared to last night. Good drugs got me off to sleep. :biggrin:

I've been given the day off work so I've had a look at the bike and it appears the hidden bolt/screw that attaches the rear brake lever assembly to the bar has rattled loose and fallen out.
You know the rest! :surprise:

Have taken a few pics: The last picture is a mock up of what happened minus the blood!

P1000278.JPG

P1000280.JPG

P1000279.JPG

The only good thing is the timing. I finished my pre winter racing rounds two weeks ago and I have a three month break now. Also in two months time I am away to Thailand on a motorcycle tour, so should be well healed by then.
I would have been gutted to miss either of those.

·
Registered
131 Posts
**** man I’m sorry to hear. Glad it wasn’t anything too serious. Be careful out there. I would never even consider not wearing my helmet. Since I got my bike a couple months ago I have gone Atgatt every ride, but I’m considering rare occasions in the future of maybe eshort trip destination rides without a couple gear items, but not riding without a helmet would absolutely never be considered.

·
Registered
656 Posts
@Kiwi Rider Wholly C r a p man, glad your not seriously injured dude..!

Question...? Was this one of those situation where you knew it was getting loose and kept saying I'll tighten it up before the next ride..

·
Registered
145 Posts
How fast were you going? I fell over the handle bar a couple of times and I just walked away with some scratches. I had to worry more about the bicycle than that myself. I guess you had a big quote of bad luck too.

First time it happened to me, it was because of a big pot hole on the street.
Second time, my handle bar snapped in two(the steel handle bar was all rusty inside and I couldn't tell)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ive lost two friends to low speed atv accidents......both 100% preventable with just a helmet....I don't always use all the gear all the time.....but I sure as **** protect this beautiful brain of mine.....

Glad you are recovering!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts