Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone

I think I am the only z400 rider from switzerland here. this is full of americans XD. But lets get to the point. I own a 2020 z400 and I love her. the only thing that bothers me is the engine breaking when slowing down the gas. This is insanely annoying over time. I read that u can fix that by ECU flashing your bike. I dont wanna do that tho, because i will loose warranty. SO. When driving thight mountain curves and letting down from the gas just a little bit (and i mean A LITTLE TINY BIT), the bike dips to the front. This is scary af and i wanna have a more smoother experience. Is there anyway to change that withouth the ECU flash?

Thx alot! And if u are from switzerland/Germany hit me up!

·
Registered
Z900
279 Posts
Hi, I realize that you stated you do not wish to flash the ECU. Would you lose your warranty if all you did in the flash was turn off the fuel cutout on deceleration? I just flashed mine and the difference is amazing! Used FT ECU. I have a Canadian spec bike.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Flash it...I ride mountains only also. HUGE difference. Gives you some low/mid range power to power through the corners 1 gear higher. No more nose dive
🐉

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hello Everyone

I think I am the only z400 rider from switzerland here. this is full of americans XD. But lets get to the point. I own a 2020 z400 and I love her. the only thing that bothers me is the engine breaking when slowing down the gas. This is insanely annoying over time. I read that u can fix that by ECU flashing your bike. I dont wanna do that tho, because i will loose warranty. SO. When driving thight mountain curves and letting down from the gas just a little bit (and i mean A LITTLE TINY BIT), the bike dips to the front. This is scary af and i wanna have a more smoother experience. Is there anyway to change that withouth the ECU flash?

Thx alot! And if u are from switzerland/Germany hit me up!
Are you near Lugano? I was just telling my wife about the gas stations in Switzerland and how they are full of delicious chocolate of all kinds. Great country and beautiful mountain roads very similar to our Blue Ridge/Smokey Mountain are. As other have stated, you should be able to have the decel fuel cut disabled without an ECU flash. Talk to some motorcycle shops in your area that provide ECU flashing services.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you near Lugano? I was just telling my wife about the gas stations in Switzerland and how they are full of delicious chocolate of all kinds. Great country and beautiful mountain roads very similar to our Blue Ridge/Smokey Mountain are. As other have stated, you should be able to have the decel fuel cut disabled without an ECU flash. Talk to some motorcycle shops in your area that provide ECU flashing services.
Hey man! Thx for your respondse. I dont live close Lugano. I live in the North-West :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is there anyway to change that withouth the ECU flash?
Don't forget about the BoosterPlug. I've been riding with it for a while now and found that it pretty much does what it says it will. It's not quite as invasive as an ECU flash and can easily be uninstalled if you find it doesn't fit your needs. I don't even have to completely remove the tank to get at it. Just raise the back slightly (but not too much) and you can get your fingers in there easily enough. Once it's installed you can just unplug it again and go back and forth between it and stock to get a good comparison. I've done this a number of times which is why I can say with confidence that it has made a difference for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't forget about the BoosterPlug. I've been riding with it for a while now and found that it pretty much does what it says it will. It's not quite as invasive as an ECU flash and can easily be uninstalled if you find it doesn't fit your needs. I don't even have to completely remove the tank to get at it. Just raise the back slightly (but not too much) and you can get your fingers in there easily enough. Once it's installed you can just unplug it again and go back and forth between it and stock to get a good comparison. I've done this a number of times which is why I can say with confidence that it has made a difference for me.
hey man, really cool. Was just about to comment that i found something else. aRacer mini 5 Now that i read your comment, what is this mod exacltly, and does it effect the throttel jerkiness alot? i find it too good to be true😅, its cheap too!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: I already bought it, man for this price i feel like I cant go wrong. And if it does what it promises this is a secret tuning tip, many ninja 400/z400 drivers should know. I will keep this thread updated and will post some pics aswell, as soon as its arrives.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Update: I already bought it, man for this price i feel like I cant go wrong. And if it does what it promises this is a secret tuning tip, many ninja 400/z400 drivers should know. I will keep this thread updated and will post some pics aswell, as soon as its arrives.
So it's my understanding that the boosterplug ONLY richens the mixture at low RPM and nothing else. It does not disable the "decel fuel cut" which is the cause of the jerky throttle and extreme engine braking. I got my ECU flashed which also richens the mixture but the tuner did not disable the "decel fuel cut" so while dynamics improved the jerky throttle response was still present. I had the tuner disabled the "decel fuel cut" and the throttle is no longer a jerky mess and engine braking is no longer a problem.

While the boosterplug may help with the extreme engine braking to some degree and it may be good enough for some it certainly isn't going to resolve the jerky throttle problem with the injectors cutting out and turning back on. When the injectors cut out, engine braking occurs. The best solution is to have the ECU flashed for about 200-250 dollars.

The boosterplug is not the secret we've all been waiting for, but it may be good enough for some. With more fuel at low RPM the engine braking should decrease some but you will still have a jerky on/off throttle response and engine braking that can only be cured with an ECU software config utility.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts