Ninja 400 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found another option for restoring my gear's waterproofing. Gonna try this stuff. Directions say to machine wash with the cleaner for the detergent and the repellent for the fabric softener. Then dry in the machine on medium heat to set the repellent.

We shall see what happens.

Food Fluid Liquid Packaging and labeling Drink

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Baxter, just out of curiosity, why don't you use gear with removable waterproof lining ?
I bought gear that was initially waterproof, and it worked for several years. I've been happy with it. But the waterproofing was only a coating applied to the fabric instead of a fabric that is inherently water-repelling like Gore-Tex. Now it's failed. Maybe this will rehabilitate it. I also have a mesh jacket that zips into the same pants and summer vented gloves that are not intended to be waterproof, and Frog-Togs to go with those items. I think the Frog-Togs are still waterproof.

I'm also starting to research better gear. I'm thinking about gear with an inherently waterproof outer fabric instead of an inner waterproof lining because I also disliked how the pockets became damp and how the jacket & pants became heavy and soggy.

The best rated stuff seems to be about $1,500 - 2,000 for everything, including gloves.

A friend from another forum has the Rev'It Poseidon first version and still raves about it years later. They've made a version 2. There's also Aerostitch. Alpinestars has a waterproof fabric but applies it as an inner layer, so the outer fabric gets wet. But Oxford has it's own proprietary fabric that is applied as an outer repellant layer. It's less ridiculously priced and reviews have supported its claims about being waterproof.

Probably should just spend the money and quit whining.

·
Registered
One engine, 2 wheels, reformed squid rider 😂🐙
1,158 Posts
Ever thought about the chemical they're using to waterproof can be harmful to the skin or your body? 😳🧐🤔

I'd read any warning labels if there are any to see that it's not going to give you problems. 😉

Yeah I may be paranoid about some things but health is the most important thing we have whether the clothes we wear or what we eat it can have effects that the manufacturer may not list.

Good luck @Baxter 👍

·
Registered
694 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Water beads up in a kitchen sprayer test.

I should test it out in real life before making a conclusion. But this is promising.
Grey Creative arts Close-up Woolen Metal

Ever thought about the chemical they're using to waterproof can be harmful to the skin or your body? 😳🧐🤔
@misnblu , you raise a valid point. But I'll be 57 in a few weeks. I don't want to seem flippant, but hypothermia will get me immediately while chemical exposure takes years. I'll probably die from something else in the meantime.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have Sedeci gear with removable waterproof lining and it's inexpensive and I've been happy with it.

Thanks, I'll look into that brand.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Removable liners are ok, and can be useful in the jacket as a layer even if it gets cold crossing mountains. But for the pants, not. Stopping on the side of the road to take your pants off to put them in because it starts raining sucks. This sometimes requires taking the boots off also which double sucks.

Frog Toggs are a much better alternative.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awoke to a cold light rain. Perfect time to test the Gear Aid's effectiveness.

I tested in the rain for a little over one hour. I was soaked completely through by my first gas stop in a little over an hour on my damp ride home from Tennessee. Today was dryer after an hour, but some water still made it through.

I started on city streets and slower-speed rural highways. After half an hour, I could feel a little moisture starting to get through to my fingers, and some at my right thigh vent zipper, but nowhere else including the left thigh zip.

Then I took Ninjette on the open interstate for about 10 miles, then to faster-speed rural highway speeds. That's when the water seepage became fairly noticeable. I don't know whether this was just the accumulated time; I suspect that the speed of impacting the rain might have played a factor. But I don't know just from this one test.

By the time I returned home after a little more than an hour, the lining on my gloves was completely damp, but not where I could wring out the water like before applying the Gear Aid. My pants cuffs, my wrists, and that right thigh zip were the only places where water had soaked through. On my trip from Tennessee, everything was soaked through by this time. Everything.

Conclusions: the Gear Aid added a significant amount of water resistance that would likely hold up for a brief shower or, perhaps, a longer shower at slower speeds. I suspect that if I also had worn my Frog Togs and an inherently waterproof glove or glove cover, then any water that managed to get through the Frog Togs wouldn't have penetrated the treated gear.

But for any meaningful long-distance traveler to be waterproof, this isn't going to do the job. Still looking like Gore-Tex or a similar product will be in my future. But until then, I'll just never go far without my Frog Togs.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I use Frog Togs also but met another rider from Canada wearing Klim gear and she was bone dry when we stopped after two hours of rain. I later looked at the price of her gear and saw it was $1300 so that was out of my price range but some people think otherwise or they would not be in business.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Genuine Gore-Tex is expensive. I've since bought some Rev'It gear with their imitation Gore-Tex. Haven't tested it in more than a very light sprinkle of short duration yet. About $800 for the jacket & pants.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts